Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I start studying now? LC 2013

• 05-07-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Im starting Sixth yr in Sept. & I'm just wondering should I be maybe doing some school work over this summer.? I do History,Economics,French and Biology. All of which have rather broad courses. Even though I've done quiet well in my summer exams, Im just wondering will I benefit from having worked over this summer ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Im starting Sixth yr in Sept. & I'm just wondering should I be maybe doing some school work over this summer.? I do History,Economics,French and Biology. All of which have rather broad courses. Even though I've done quiet well in my summer exams, Im just wondering will I benefit from having worked over this summer ?

I wouldnt, its the summer you should be enjoying yourself now, god knows the LC is stressful enough anyway, if you really want to get a jump on it try starting 2 weeks before you go back, that way you can get your mind thinking about school work and you will be less likely to burn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

No, just relax. You'll have plenty of time in 6th year, don't burn yourself out. This may be one of your last chances to properly relax and forget about school before you go into 6th, don't waste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Enjoy your summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I think it's too late to start studying for the Leaving at this stage! Most study should have been done after the JC when you bought your textbooks and during 5th year! I'm afraid starting studying before 6th year is a lost cause.

P.S. I'm just kiddin. Don't worry about study just yet and until Christmas make sure you get all your homework done, after Xmas ease into study.

P.P.S I'm filling in for reznov :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

No. No you should not.

Sixth year is a wholly miserable experience, no point trying to make you feel better by saying it isn't. But it'll be ten times worse if you go into September already tired. They're called "holidays" for a reason. The only holidays you should ever even think about studying through are the Easter holidays, and even then take it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

If I were you, I wouldn't study perse but broaden your knowledge. Read in English. Read 5 or 10 novels and you'll see how much of an improvement you have made. Read a french book or magazines. Watch French movies. Watch some videos in YouTube of heart dissections or of how the body works.

Just relax as others said. Try speaking the 3 different languages as much as possible and try organise parlant groups with others.

For the other subjects, maybe read over the chapters you found most difficult the week before you head back. Don't go mad into studying but bit by bit do more and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Hell no!
    If you study now you won't have a break for a whole year. Trust me 6th year is bad enough. Start maybe, just maybe a week before you go back to school, just to brush over things. But really there is no need.

Enjoy your summer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

My plan is to just read all the English texts we will cover and correct summer tests. Having said that, I haven't started reading, and I've only corrected my chemistry paper. Yeah, I should really do something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Leaving cert is a whole year a very tiring year. It is time enough to start in September. How every reading a couple of english books etc is no harm. But I would not start study until September. If you done well in your summer tests you should have no worries. Enjoy your summer it will be your last big break to get a rest before leaving cert. best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

I would say definitely not. It would probably do you more harm than good if you took your deserved holidays to study - mentally, I mean :p The actual 9 months for the Leaving Cert are stressful enough, so don't add another 2 or 3 months to that. I'd say kick back and relax, however looking back I would have taken ChemHickey's advice, it's a lot more pratical than sitting down to study your subject textbooks and I wish I had done it last year, oh well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

6th year is a hard year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'd suggest T.Y. style studying. Speak your languages, read more books, that type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

I'd suggest T.Y. style studying. Speak your languages, read more books, that type of thing.

People study in TY :eek: Wow I wasted that year anyway.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 inkapinka

I think if you want to study something over sumer choose subject that you are not very good at and check your notes, if your notes aren't well improve them by using your textbook and internet. then start to study, not overload your self.
    Iam doing same thing, i want to improve my french...I've got 70% on hl for my summer exam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Don't even think about studying this summer. Seriously, you're going to be so depressed with all the studying next year that you don't want to start now. You need a long break before lc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm going into 6th year myself and I plan to relax till the last 2 weeks of my holidays which I will look over the chapters I found most difficult. I don't think there is a point studying at this stage as it's called 'holidays' for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I wouldn't go mad on the study as such, but you could watch some of these lectures which were developed for Leaving Cert standard/age group worldwide. You will find all maths sections, biology and economics. The history here isn't overly helpful for Leaving Cert to be honest, but the science/maths.business stuff seems great. Just an idea. http://www.khanacademy.org/ Just scroll down the webpage to find all the lectures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

You mad bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Undecided95

I wouldn't go mad on the study as such, but you could watch some of these lectures which were developed for Leaving Cert standard/age group worldwide. You will find all maths sections, biology and economics. The history here isn't overly helpful for Leaving Cert to be honest, but the science/maths.business stuff seems great. Just an idea. http://www.khanacademy.org/ Just scroll down the webpage to find all the lectures.
    That was really helpful. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Beckles

I'm starting 6th year in September too. I am studying because I missed out on a lot in 5th year due to illness. I think it's fine to do a little bit, familiarize yourself with the course. Don't be too hard on yourself though, enjoy your summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Salts

If you haven't started your RSR/History project then I'd recommend doing some research for it.. Otherwise, play a few French games online, read a few interesting books, and do productive things with your time :) you have plenty of time, so just fit it in here and there, and enjoy yourself the rest of the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In general, I'd say to people to take their holidays and go back fresh in September.

But if you do want to do a bit, and maybe feel a bit guilty if you're not, take the kind of approach suggested below by ChemHickey and Salts. Do things which don't feel like too much of a burden.

Read: decently written books, don't have to be textbooks or even high literature, but well-written books which will almost subconsciously help your vocab, grammar writing style, etc. Keep an ear to the news and an eye on the papers, and especially for topics relevant to the economy / recession, which will be helpful for your economics. If you enjoy history anyway, a bit of work on your project won't feel too onerous. Stuff like that.

Setting yourself a target of studying a chapter of economics a day (for example) will probably have one of two effects: (1) you will do it, and will go back in September feeling like you really haven't been away; or (2) you won't, and all you will actually achieve is to make yourself feel guilty and spoil your break.
    ChemHickey wrote: »
    If I were you, I wouldn't study perse but broaden your knowledge. Read in English. Read 5 or 10 novels and you'll see how much of an improvement you have made. Read a french book or magazines. Watch French movies. Watch some videos in YouTube of heart dissections or of how the body works.

Just relax as others said. Try speaking the 3 different languages as much as possible and try organise parlant groups with others.

For the other subjects, maybe read over the chapters you found most difficult the week before you head back. Don't go mad into studying but bit by bit do more and more.
    Salts wrote: »
    If you haven't started your RSR/History project then I'd recommend doing some research for it.. Otherwise, play a few French games online, read a few interesting books, and do productive things with your time :) you have plenty of time, so just fit it in here and there, and enjoy yourself the rest of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

They look good! Thanks for sharing that!

And as for the starter, I'm also going into 6th year in September and I thought of doing a bit of study over the summer. I didn't end up doing anything though and I'm GLAD I didn't, cos I already feel much more relaxed and ready to go back to school with a clear head. Like the other guys mentioned, do some reading to improve on English. I've read a good few books already and I'm planning on soon starting one of the books which is on my course. Pick a book that you enjoy and it defo won't feel like a burden! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BrazilBabe

Hey! :)

I too am going into sixth year, I really relaxed for June and I plan to relax a bit longer of July. What I plan to do next week though is completely clean my room out, and get well prepared for the coming year of suckiness :( I already have an organization plan and stuff like that and I plan to start studying in August. Just get prepared and I agree 100% about reading french and or watching french movies. I read a lot anyways but if you don't, consider going to your local library and reading some books to improve your vocabulary for English. You would be surprised at the impact it has in the long run :)

I hope I helped somehow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

BrazilBabe wrote: »

I too am going into sixth year, I really relaxed for June and I plan to relax a bit longer of July. What I plan to do next week though is completely clean my room out, and get well prepared for the coming year of suckiness :( I already have an organization plan and stuff like that and I plan to start studying in August. Just get prepared and I agree 100% about reading french and or watching french movies. I read a lot anyways but if you don't, consider going to your local library and reading some books to improve your vocabulary for English. You would be surprised at the impact it has in the long run :)

Wow! You're so organized! Wish I had more motivation to do that haha. I just wanted to ask, are you going to be putting a study schedule in place? Or what is your method for keeping track of your study? Maybe share it with us? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BrazilBabe

moriz wrote: »
    Wow! You're so organized! Wish I had more motivation to do that haha. I just wanted to ask, are you going to be putting a study schedule in place? Or what is your method for keeping track of your study? Maybe share it with us? :)

I would be happy to share! Not so much a schedule but I will plan out how many subjects to do a night, how to divide time on the weekend and such. My method is literally just doing exam papers, over and over and over again!! staying on top of homework and to have any projects or anything done by the end of October because no way will I have time to do them in March or April :/ that's literally it, and I'm a big health freak anyways so I just stay healthy, exercise and make sure I'm feeling my best :) I think the best motivation is to just look at it as a one year thing and by the end of it if you know you've done your best, that's all that counts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

single most important thing is sleep, make sure you get plenty of it this summer, and at least 7 and a half when you go back. Sleep is really underestimated by some people.

Organisation is very important. Have a number of folders for each subject. For example in business have units 1-7 in separate folders etc etc. for biology unit 1 - 3 in different folders, an experiment folder as well. I was totally disorganised until about christmas of last year and the frustration and time wasted looking for handouts is something you could do without this year.

For this summer I would say if you are having trouble with a subject spend a bit of time on it. But really no more than 2 hours a day. No 5 or 6 hour sessions really!! Enjoy the summer its going to be tough. There's plenty of time from september on.

Advertisement