Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are treated better in work- men or women?

• 05-07-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I know....very generalised question but what I mean is, do you see evidence of an old "boys club" where you work and do you see men getting perks that women dont get? For example, where I work, men are higher paid, get all the technical jobs (even the men with poor technical skills), their opinions are generally given more clout in meetings plus outbursts of anger are rarely met with discipline. Indeed, the men can be very lazy, manipulative and poor performers but it would take a LOT to get them a verbal warning or even a speaking to. Women are often the butt of jokes and not trusted as much. On the other hand, they take more sick pay and can twist a lot of people around their finger if they have the right personality.

What about your workplace, are men treated better, equal or maybe worse than women?

Comments

all equal here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

women who get preggers invariably get pushed out of their job..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

ANOTHER girls vs boys thread? What the actual fcuk.
    Piss off, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I don't care, I'm unemployed. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Everything fine where I work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I work on my own.

But to help equality I wear a skirt and heels under the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

On the shift I work, I am the only girl. I am treated so well. If I say I'm going to get coffee and ask does anybody else want one or anything from the kitchen, one of the guys will offer to do it. If I ask would anybody mind if I closed a window, someone will get up and close it. I think I work with some really nice guys! :)

On the whole within the company, we're treated equally as far as I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I work on my own.

But to help equality I wear a skirt and heels under the counter.

i bet you sexually harrass yourself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

When I did work there was a very distinct girls club.

Certain supervisors were complete and utter ***** towards the guys.

There were a few women that treated everyone equally. Oddly, the male supervisors were actually quite nice to both guys and girls. There was a kinda lads thing but that was mostly because some of use just got along easily and if the girls fit in they'd join the convo.

But no, apart from the practially sexist three females, no, no problems that I can recal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I think the Men treat the good-looking girls very well. ;D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Shryke wrote: »
    ANOTHER girls vs boys thread? What the actual fcuk.
    Piss off, please.

Seriously..are we all feckin' under the age of 10 here or what?? Every bleedin' day! Boys V Girls. Jesus Christ. I don't think I thought like that since senior infants throwing worms at boys I fancied.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I work in a fairly gender-balanced place and we don't treat each other any differently.

I don't really get how "boys' and girls' clubs"develop among groups of adults, except perhaps in situations where the women in a company tend to do one kind of work together and the men another.
    Even then it seems pretty immature.

I do think gender-wars threads are treated unfairly compared to other threads on Boards though.
    They should be ridiculed even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Seriously..are we all feckin' under the age of 10 here or what?? Every bleedin' day! Boys V Girls. Jesus Christ. I don't think I thought like that since senior infants throwing worms at boys I fancied.....

pffft... you dont like these threads cause the boys always win

i'm off to chase girls now with a stick that i dipped in dog poo :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Novella wrote: »
    On the shift I work, I am the only girl. I am treated so well. If I say I'm going to get coffee and ask does anybody else want one or anything from the kitchen, one of the guys will offer to do it. If I ask would anybody mind if I closed a window, someone will get up and close it. I think I work with some really nice guys! :)

On the whole within the company, we're treated equally as far as I can tell.

or maybe their all lonely and in compitition with each other to win over your affections
    your doing a brilliant job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

There were a few women that treated everyone equally. Oddly, the male supervisors were actually quite nice to both guys and girls. There was a kinda lads thing but that was mostly because some of use just got along easily and if the girls fit in they'd join the convo.

But no, apart from the practially sexist three females, no, no problems that I can recal.

same experience where i worked
    was doing christmas work in smyths toystore

1 manager ( girl )
    2 assistant managers ( 2 girls )
    5 supervisors ( 5 girls )
    14 floor staff ( 10 boys 4 girls )

needless to say the managers gave all the boys a hard time where as the girls got treated like queens, they make mistakes we get the blame
    they get smoke breaks every 5 minutes
    they get a longer lunch break

so i snapped and told the manager to f*ck off and walked out
    but the floor staff girls where really nice though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Same same, but different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I know....very generalised question but what I mean is, do you see evidence of an old "boys club" where you work and do you see men getting perks that women dont get? For example, where I work, men are higher paid, get all the technical jobs (even the men with poor technical skills), their opinions are generally given more clout in meetings plus outbursts of anger are rarely met with discipline. Indeed, the men can be very lazy, manipulative and poor performers but it would take a LOT to get them a verbal warning or even a speaking to. Women are often the butt of jokes and not trusted as much. On the other hand, they take more sick pay and can twist a lot of people around their finger if they have the right personality.

What about your workplace, are men treated better, equal or maybe worse than women?

From what I can see around the office, the women have all the perks.
    I jest, I jest.

Men get better salaries - women don't get higher salaries because o babys
    Women get better time off - they have da babies

these are the perks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 M_Bovary

I think the number of women who are mistreated at work probably dwarfs the male figure. Chauvinistic attitudes and a male dominated establishment still holds women back despite increasing evidence that female workers often outperform their male counterparts. Pay is still not equal between genders and that is just a symptom of the inherent gender biases which are just as prevalent now as they were years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

saiint wrote: »
    same experience where i worked
    was doing christmas work in smyths toystore

1 manager ( girl )
    2 assistant managers ( 2 girls )
    5 supervisors ( 5 girls )
    14 floor staff ( 10 boys 4 girls )

needless to say the managers gave all the boys a hard time where as the girls got treated like queens, they make mistakes we get the blame
    they get smoke breaks every 5 minutes
    they get a longer lunch break

so i snapped and told the manager to f*ck off and walked out
    but the floor staff girls where really nice though

nice one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

M_Bovary wrote: »
    I think the number of women who are mistreated at work probably dwarfs the male figure. Chauvinistic attitudes and a male dominated establishment still holds women back despite increasing evidence that female workers often outperform their male counterparts. Pay is still not equal between genders and that is just a symptom of the inherent gender biases which are just as prevalent now as they were years ago.

total bollox, try power struggling attitudes (obvious as to why) and bullying - sure how could a female worker do that? and often goes un-corrected.
    so yea and often male workers often outperform their female counterparts, its tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I think the problem with a lot of women (not all now but a lot) in the workplace is that they want equal pay with the men but they dont want to do equal work- hence the misuse of sick pay, playing up their problems, a lot of them bring their personal lives into the workplace making it harder to approach them and get them to do any work. Again, not saying that all women do this but when so many of them slack off I dont think they deserve equal pay, simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Whatever about genders, smokers always get treated better in my place (manager is a smoker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Women get treated better. I've dug a lot of ditches and I've never dug one with a woman beside me, it's always lads losing the sweat. Fair enough though, most of those lads were ugly feckers so maybe a ditch is the best place for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

I work in a company where the men do the skilled work and the women do the customer service/data entry/dealing with phone calls. Not divided due to their gender, the women simply have no skills that extend beyond the above while the men are educated and basically run the company.

The women in the company absolutely have it easier. They turn up late every single day. They take the complete píss out of the allocated break times and they honestly get sweet fúck all done when they're there. Nothing is said to them though because, to be brutal, nobody really cares and just not dealing with them is easier than addressing the issue.

It's a small-medium enterprise but the segregation between the skilled and unskilled labour, which also happens to be a gender division, is unparalleled. They get the easy life because they're not taken seriously, because they've consistently shown themselves to not take themselves seriously.

The men in the company literally do everything involved in keeping it running and keeping business coming in the door and thus end up being the big earners there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

RHarrow wrote: »
    I work in a company where the men do the skilled work and the women do the customer service/data entry/dealing with phone calls. Not divided due to their gender, the women simply have no skills that extend beyond the above while the men are educated and basically run the company.

The women in the company absolutely have it easier. They turn up late every single day. They take the complete píss out of the allocated break times and they honestly get sweet fúck all done when they're there. Nothing is said to them though because, to be brutal, nobody really cares and just not dealing with them is easier than addressing the issue.

It's a small-medium enterprise but the segregation between the skilled and unskilled labour, which also happens to be a gender division, is unparalleled. They get the easy life because they're not taken seriously, because they've consistently shown themselves to not take themselves seriously.

The men in the company literally do everything involved in keeping it running and keeping business coming in the door and thus end up being the big earners there.

Where do you work? The 1960's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭lawnmower_man

studys have shown that most women ( whatever about men ) perfer a male boss , female bosses are seen as more draconian

Where do you work? The 1960's?
    Sorry? What are you trying to get at here?

their is no evidence for any of the above , its illegal in this country to pay someone less based on gender but that is very different than someone being paid less than someone else

as for the idea of women being more prone to mistreatment , female complaints of abuse - chauvanism recieve a much greater hearing than male complaints of abuse by female colleagues - supervisors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

In any job I've ever worked women had it considerably easier. All the light work and handy numbers were done by women because they were not physically as strong as men. Who got lumped with all the donkey work and menial tasks. Plus any factory with production work it was alwyas done by women while men were paid by the hour. Meaning women made more than men because women couldnt do the grunt work.

News flash ladies I wasnt born a powerhouse either, I was only able for it because I had to fcukin do it. Most women I worked with were physically lazy too, any excuse they could use to get out of doing physical work they would and it would always be acceptable. Anything needed doing it was "where's the man". Then they have the nerve to moan about being on lower pay for standard clock time (not enough to justify the difference in workload though), and moan they fcukin did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

men and women are treated the same where I work but parents are treated better, exceptions are always made for the mommies and daddies. Bull**** imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

hondasam wrote: »
    men and women are treated the same where I work but parents are treated better, exceptions are always made for the mommies and daddies. Bull**** imo.

Same with smokers getting fag breaks while non smokers were expected to work away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwogDPh-Sow

Watch and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Same with smokers getting fag breaks while non smokers were expected to work away.

This too more bull****. People should smoke on their break and not every hour on the hour.

Sorry? What are you trying to get at here?

Your post reads like something that wouldn't be out of place during that period is all. You seem very dismissive of the whole female workforce's education levels, skills and performances and come off as rather condescending to boot.

Not just your posts, mind. I've noticed a recent spate of threads in AH lately where women are continuously being put down as a whole. Does anything constructive ever come of threads like these I wonder...?

Your post reads like something that wouldn't be out of place during that period is all. You seem very dismissive of the whole female workforce's education levels, skills and performances and come off as rather condescending to boot.

Not just your posts, mind. I've noticed a recent spate of threads in AH lately where women are continuously being put down as a whole. Does anything constructive ever come of threads like these I wonder...?

Well I'm not talking about the entire female workforce, I'm talking about the workforce that I encounter in the company I work in. They are very low skilled, their work ethic is embarrassing and their performance is dire. They're kept on purely because they've been there quite a long time and it'd be too much drama to get rid of them.

Their department could be downsized to about 1/3rd the size and filled with graduates (of either sex) and the performance would sky rocket. The current trolls are lazy, incompetent and amount to a tolerated burden and not much more. However, the tolerance of their shíte has lead to them having a very cushy existence and thus, as the thread title suggested, they're generally treated better than the lads through inaction more than anything else.

With regards to a trend in women being put down, I think a lot of guys are starting to get fed up of the constant men-bashing in the media and the exposure that the fight for 'equality' has amounted to the pursuit of exceptions for one gender based on their gender and at a cost to the other.

• Advertisement

Well I'm not talking about the entire female workforce, I'm talking about the workforce that I encounter in the company I work in. They are very low skilled, their work ethic is embarrassing and their performance is dire. They're kept on purely because they've been there quite a long time and it'd be too much drama to get rid of them.

Their department could be downsized to about 1/3rd the size and filled with graduates (of either sex) and the performance would sky rocket. The current trolls are lazy, incompetent and amount to a tolerated burden and not much more. However, the tolerance of their shíte has lead to them having a very cushy existence and thus, as the thread title suggested, they're generally treated better than the lads through inaction more than anything else.

Sounds to me like those highly educated male managers in your workplace aren't doing their job very well either, in that case. If a workforce are performing poorly, it's the managements job to improve their performance or fire them - drama or no drama.
    With regards to a trend in women being put down, I think a lot of guys are starting to get fed up of the constant men-bashing in the media and the exposure that the fight for 'equality' has amounted to the pursuit of exceptions for one gender based on their gender and at a cost to the other.

What extra costs have there been for men since 'equality' has been introduced exactly? What added hardships have been loaded on your shoulders?

In fairness, you've neglected to mention that Peggy's made her way steadily up through the ranks, and Joan has a lot of power, even if it's not officially enshrined within her job description.

Final proof that wimminz are Feminazis and men are more discriminated against! I feel we're close to definitive proof. Just one or two more vague personal anecdotes masquerading as universal truths...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

we have no women at all, so i think its fair to say the men are treated better.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'd say a lot of men would treat women better in work than other men.

In fairness, you've neglected to mention that Peggy's made her way steadily up through the ranks, and Joan has a lot of power, even if it's not officially enshrined within her job description.

Final proof that wimminz are Feminazis and men are more discriminated against! I feel we're close to definitive proof. Just one or two more vague personal anecdotes masquerading as universal truths...

length discussion about that over at the GC

• Advertisement

length discussion about that over at the GC

Let me know if we win so I can start claiming reparations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Sindri wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of men would treat women better in work than other men.

And a lot of women treat men better in work than other women. A LOT actually, IME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Shryke wrote: »
    ANOTHER girls vs boys thread? What the actual fcuk.Piss off, please.

I'm going to overuse the shit out of this phrase. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

This is something that has annoyed me in the past.

Firstly, where I work its about a 75% Women and 25% Men split at both Management and Staff levels. However, the girls will have more opportunity to become supervisors ect... because they usually are left to deal with more customer related things because a lot of the lads will be doing manual based jobs, even though we are all paid equally, have the same contracts and job description. Day to day this works because things get done, you couldn't expect a 5ft 4 girl to be carting heavy boxes around, but on the larger scale a lot of the lads don't get to shine and impress because they are lumped in a dingy stockroom/goods inwards for a lot of the week.

My main manager is a middle aged woman and in fairness she has to be one of the best people I have ever worked under, she is 100% fair to everyone, very understanding and I will always go the extra mile when we are under pressure. Her work ethic is fantastic, she pulls productivity through the roof when she is in and is also a great laugh. However, even though there are more female managers I mostly prefer the Male manager. The rest of the Female superiors can often be kind of man-eaters. They give the lads a hard time instead of using common sence and trying to be as fair as they will be with the girls. I have no doubt that they do this because imo a lot of women use sexism as a shield to hide the fact that they don't really know what they are doing, and i damn well works. If a man doesn't know what he is doing, it'll be called up on in a week. Women can be harder to pull up on issues.

However, this attitude will get most women no where because you can only blag yourself so far. As a result the most senior level of the company management is where all the male managers are. The sooner some women lose this attitude the sooner we will see women at the top end of more big companies, and hopefully that is sooner rather than later.

In short, hard work will get you to the top. And any women or men who spew out the sexism in the policies will see their staff resent them and do sweet **** all to help them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Equal where I am. You'll get the odd twat, male or female, but there's usually no difference between male and female managers where I work. I'd imagine most companies strive to be fair on a macro level but micro groups and politics scupper this.

Oh men-bashing isn't an excuse for women-bashing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

Women are like celebrities in this country. I talked to an Arabic woman who moved here, and she said the men practically kiss her feet everywhere she goes. She also noted how there is very little respect shown to men. Only high status men are treated well. Ugly Irish women with hot guys everywhere,

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    Women are like celebrities in this country. I talked to an Arabic woman who moved here, and she said the men practically kiss her feet everywhere she goes. She also noted how there is very little respect shown to men. Only high status men are treated well. Ugly Irish women with hot guys everywhere,

Yeah, especially on After Hours.

The Boring Reality: neither men nor women receive preferential treatment to any great degree in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It's true. Bridie, my 80+ neghbour was going down to the shop for some scratch cards and a bunch of paparazzi started snapping her, the bastards.:mad:

Women are like celebrities in this country. I talked to an Arabic woman who moved here, and she said the men practically kiss her feet everywhere she goes. She also noted how there is very little respect shown to men. Only high status men are treated well.

It may seem that way to her compared to how women are treated in many Arabic countries. She may have been raised to believe men automatically deserve more respect than women.

Ugly Irish women with hot guys everywhere,

Jesus, would you ever give over the juvenile sticks and stones bull5hit :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'm sure that perception of "reality" is the case all right for someone on heavy medication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement