Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A dublin orange parade?

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

junder wrote: »
    And you're nerve to call us a backward country

eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Well, marches are undeniably divisive and unhelpful, a 10 or 20 year moratorium would achieve quite a lot imo. It would allow internal reflection on what these organistions actually are without the ritual yearly need to dig into defensive positions and to get involved with divisive debates with the parades commission.
    It would also stop the more bigoted using organisations to spread their hate.

I agree i'd like to see all marches banned. Or failing that a moratorium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

The Dublin and Wicklow OO view of the new Irish president.

http://www.dublin1313.com/site/2011/10/29/statement-on-the-president-elect/

My god the subversion, you should lock them all up now

My god the subversion, you should lock them all up now

It reads like something from The Onion to be honest. Note that it says 'our special relationship....' not allegiance. They wouldn't be biting their tongues because this statement was going out to a wider public by any chance? :D
    It's a site full of comedy gold, I find it fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The author keeps conflating 'Protestant' with 'Orange'.

How many Orange men are there in Leinster?

Couple of hundred?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

The Orangemen are native too.
    Hi Smash. While I agree with most of your posts - I do not agree with this. Why is it that in Ireland the Bolshies like Sinn Fein are nationalists while the centrists like Fine Gael are west brits. For my part - I am in neither camp because while I am an Irish nationalist in a very fundamental way - I am also ideologically extremely right wing.

That said, I refuse to hate the orangemen - despite their best efforts to make me hate them.

Couple of hundred?

I have a unique perspective on it, as my wife is a Dublin Protestant of more than 50 years and she is dumbfounded. She knows nothing of this, or has recognised anyone involved. She is busy sending the link to all her friends in Taney parish, the biggest protestant parish in Dublin and she has amassed a collection of these guys :confused: on her phone.:D
    Something I didn't know but found tucked away there, is that the bowler hat and suits represent an English Gentleman....lol....if there was no bigotry and bull**** wouldn't you just want to give them a big hug?

Couple of hundred?

I have a unique perspective on it, as my wife is a Dublin Protestant of more than 50 years and she is dumbfounded. She knows nothing of this, or has recognised anyone involved. She is busy sending the link to all her friends in Taney parish, the biggest protestant parish in Dublin and she has amassed a collection of these guys :confused: on her phone.:D
    Something I didn't know but found tucked away there, is that the bowler hat and suits represent an English Gentleman....lol....if there was no bigotry and bull**** wouldn't you just want to give them a big hug?

Why? What buiness is it of you or your wife's who these people are, seems quite an over reaction to be recording images of these orange men to pass around other people also a tad sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

Why? What buiness is it of you or your wife's who these people are, seems quite an over reaction to be recording images of these orange men to pass around other people also a tad sinister.
    hahahaha, this is hardly follow follow yer posting on... Sinister.hahahaha

It's a link to the site she is passing around. And funnily enough she used the word 'sinister' describing the same site. And an organisation purpoting to speak for Southern protestants is very much her business.
    I think this march if it was made up from Dublin lodges might not even muster a hundred.

• Advertisement

It's a link to the site she is passing around. And funnily enough she used the word 'sinister' describing the same site. And an organisation purpoting to speak for Southern protestants is very much her business.
    I think this march if it was made up from Dublin lodges might not even muster a hundred.

So then what would be the big deal then

The principle; legitimising this still sectarian organisation.

The principle; legitimising this still sectarian organisation.

Are these people sectarian!

http://www.distglodgeghec.org/HomePage.html

Would you object to them coming to Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

ARE YOU FOR REAL

Um.....YEAH...
    They are Freemasons..you need to read about the history betwee the Boers the Afrikaaner broederbond and freemasonry and apartheid
    Freemasonry and apartheid in South Africa ...seriously

There can be a lot of open racism in some freemasonry in certain countries

I don't mean to tarnish every lodge i am sure most are not...

But Ghana....erm it's different

Afrikaaner broederband are sort of separate to freemasons but organised along mason lines ..no lodges

For years the obeyed apartheid..and even after they denied membership to balck africans on the basis that they were not born as free men if they were born under the regime they were considered to be not born free ....so yeah

Seriously how many black african freemasons do you think there are in Ghana??

ARE YOU FOR REAL

Um.....YEAH...
    They are Freemasons..you need to read about the history betwee the Boers the Afrikaaner broederbond and freemasonry and apartheid

Afrikaaner broederband are sort of separate to freemasons but organised along mason lines ..no lodges

For years the obeyed apartheid..and even after they denied membership to balck africans on the basis that they were not born as free men if they were born under the regime they were considered to be not born free ....so yeah

What have the boars got to do with a black Ghanaian lodge?

As for the Masonic lodges, seems a famous Irish hero may have been one

http://www.gmoirl.com/wolfe-tone-masonic-lodge.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The Orange parades celebrate the victory of Prince William of Orange's troops in the Battle of the Boyne. Not a victory that brought good things to Ireland. There is no reason for such a parade in a modern Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

:confused:

Setting up a prayer group to say the rosary every night and calling it "The William of Orange Rosary Group" does not mean Willie was a Catholic.
    According to the masons themselves he was a non-mason. Link.

Oh please, not another site!! :rolleyes: I don't have time to trawl through it, let me ask a question, is it sectarian, do you have to be a protestant to join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Oh please, not another site!! :rolleyes: I don't have time to trawl through it, let me ask a question, is it sectarian, do you have to be a protestant to join?
    He basis his assumption on the fact there is a lodge called "The WOLFE TONE MASONIC LODGE" not on any evidence he was one (because there isn't any).

• Advertisement

He basis his assumption on the fact there is a lodge called "The WOLFE TONE MASONIC LODGE" not on any evidence he was one (because there isn't any).

Well they have assumed to speak for protestants so I suppose it's no suprise they would try to speak for a dead protestant. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

This thread is:

1) Going round in more and more OT circles

2) Not adding a huge amount to the quality count of the forum

Unless we see a bit of a pickup in both, it will be closed.

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

ARE YOU FOR REAL
    Um.....YEAH...
    Well there are Freemasons in Dublin... a few of them are black Africans as well :-) And a quick google shows that the District Grand Master of Ghana looks rather.. well, black and african.
    I believe that there used to be Masonic parades in Dublin as well, which came to a voluntary end as Masons felt they might be mistaken for Orangemen parading ( I can't find an online source to back that up though so I'll allow I may be mistaken).

So to the point; I don't see any reason why Ghanian Freemasons would want, or be permitted, to have a parade in Dublin. But if Dublin Freemasons wanted to have a parade why shouldn't they? Just like Gay Pride, the Zombie Walk etc. And if Dublin (and Wicklow) Orangemen want to have a parade then they should be treated like everyone else. Some people are afraid of zombies. Some people have issues with gay people. Some people have issues with the Catholic Church, and might well object to a St Patricks Day parade. But democracy is about tolerating different points of view. Especially the ones you don't like.

Of course, if Belfast Orangemen want to have a parade in Dublin, that's a different thing......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

So what your saying is that republicans are really easy to manipulate. Here's a crazy idea why not let the lodge have thier parade and then not riot, that would really scupper nelson's plan wouldn't it

Yeah, lets have a 'Love the Pope' march and ensure we pass every Orange lodge so we can show how differently the Loyalists would behave :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

Certainly not a fan of the Orange Order, but I don't think it would bother me, if they marched in Dublin.

So what your saying is that republicans are really easy to manipulate. Here's a crazy idea why not let the lodge have thier parade and then not riot, that would really scupper nelson's plan wouldn't it

Yeah, lets have a 'Love the Pope' march and ensure we pass every Orange lodge so we can show how differently the Loyalists would behave :rolleyes:

Be a long parade since the lodges are scattered the length and breadth of this island, either way I could give a toss about you having a 'love pope' parade, knock yourself out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

According to Happyman apparently it represents the Irish and only the Irish

shock horror:eek: imagine the irish flag representing the irish people:eek::eek::rolleyes:
    Who?? What radio station hardly RTE??

Anyway we can't ...constitution...referendum....never happen...seriously

Love the law

Who cares what some idiot crank thinks.

no 4fm, check out dup.ie thats the guys blog. sorry not great at putting up links etc

Thats the point...they have Black lodges and White lodges.....infact a lot of south african society still operates like an apartheid....certain shopping markets are white...

They start up their own clubs but it is still segregation...

I have a friend who did volunteer work there..he was blonde and blue eyed ..no white person could believe he had mostly black friends over there...he was not accepted a lot of white south africans..i don't think they are all like that but socially it's a very damaged society ..damaged by segregation

Just as OO men and Sinn Féin are damaged socially by segregation....

The fact that it did not bug you that there are Black Ghanaian lodges and White Ghanaian lodges says a lot about status quo and unconscious thinking...

What has it got to do with the Boers....they started apartheid....white clubs and dark societies followed..they actually encouraged segragation and this happened..it is a continuation of that thinking and way of life

It is simply what they did to protect 'Der Volk' they believed they were a people sent by god to live and set up a separate culture in South Africa separated from Black people to preserve their traditions and they set about putting themselves in power and a brutal secretive regime....Afrikaaner Broederbond was just apart..

They were brutalistic....Black people were forced into a black club ...

Segregation is wrong.....whether it be by religion or race....

The boers at first encouraged separate clubs for Black people....but the Afakaaner broderbond were much more brutal and facist like all South African presidents from the start of true apartheid until the end were members...

I have a problem with the segregation mindset.....and the fact that these men could not join a primarily white lodge

Freemasonry in south africa was a part of apartheid and still is part of that mindset..

Wolfetone was an advocate of Catholic emancipation.....

There is no evidence that he was a freemason other than conspiracy bs

There are rumours that Robspierre Rasputon Ron Paul and Obama are all Freemasons....its not true

There is no evidence at all that Wolfetone was a freemason

Although all these weird sites is giving me a very strange impression of the kinds of people who are into the OO

I don't really know if this thread is suitable for this section..there is a mystery connspiracy section.
    All these organisations are money spinners and pyramid schemes

COULD WE HAVE LESS OF THE LINKS PLEASE??:)

Thats the point...they have Black lodges and White lodges.....infact a lot of south african society still operates like an apartheid....certain shopping markets are white...

They start up their own clubs but it is still segregation...

I have a friend who did volunteer work there..he was blonde and blue eyed ..no white person could believe he had mostly black friends over there...he was not accepted a lot of white south africans..i don't think they are all like that but socially it's a very damaged society ..damaged by segregation

Just as OO men and Sinn Féin are damaged socially by segregation....

The fact that it did not bug you that there are Black Ghanaian lodges and White Ghanaian lodges says a lot about status quo and unconscious thinking...

What has it got to do with the Boers....they started apartheid....white clubs and dark societies followed..they actually encouraged segragation and this happened..it is a continuation of that thinking and way of life

It is simply what they did to protect 'Der Volk' they believed they were a people sent by god to live and set up a separate culture in South Africa separated from Black people to preserve their traditions and they set about putting themselves in power and a brutal secretive regime....Afrikaaner Broederbond was just apart..

They were brutalistic....Black people were forced into a black club ...

Segregation is wrong.....whether it be by religion or race....

The boers at first encouraged separate clubs for Black people....but the Afakaaner broderbond were much more brutal and facist like all South African presidents from the start of true apartheid until the end were members...

I have a problem with the segregation mindset.....and the fact that these men could not join a primarily white lodge

Freemasonry in south africa was a part of apartheid and still is part of that mindset..

Wolfetone was an advocate of Catholic emancipation.....

There is no evidence that he was a freemason other than conspiracy bs

There are rumours that Robspierre Rasputon Ron Paul and Obama are all Freemasons....its not true

There is no evidence at all that Wolfetone was a freemason

Although all these weird sites is giving me a very strange impression of the kinds of people who are into the OO

I don't really know if this thread is suitable for this section..there is a mystery connspiracy section.
    All these organisations are money spinners and pyramid schemes

COULD WE HAVE LESS OF THE LINKS PLEASE??:)

I have met black Ghanaian orange, black orange men from Tonga, even met native American orange men, I have never met any white south African orange men and like your friend I to have worked in the townships in south Africa specifically around Durban. I posted the link about the Wolfe tones alleged Masonic links because it's a subject that has already been discussed on this site before, however I personnly have nothing to do with the masonic lodges so it's irrelevant to me if he was or was not a member.

• Advertisement

I have met black Ghanaian orange, black orange men from Tonga, even met native American orange men, I have never met any white south African orange men and like your friend I to have worked in the townships in south Africa specifically around Durban. I posted the link about the Wolfe tones alleged Masonic links because it's a subject that has already been discussed on this site before, however I personnly have nothing to do with the masonic lodges so it's irrelevant to me if he was or was not a member.

So it's just Catholics who can't join in??

Have you ever met a catholic Orange man?????
    Or even a non protestant one????

If not then it is segregation...

How many Irish catholics are members ???

Still have the ban on attending the funeral of a catholic??

Not sure about being related to one?

Up untilfairly recently there was a specific ban on catholics ...

Not being christian myself (but parents are catholic) it's nothing to do with me..

But i can see why some might feel your order is prejudiced against catholics what with the comemorations and the bans..

Infact if a catholic mass was to be held publically on o connell street whilst you marched ?? What would you guys do ??

Be offended ?? Cancel?? Object??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Infact if a catholic mass was to be held publically on o connell street whilst you marched ?? What would you guys do ??

Beat their drums louder. They have marches in Lisburn and pass by at mass time just to make a racket and cause offence. They are bad news full stop and they should never be allowed to march in Dublin.

So it's just Catholics who can't join in??

Have you ever met a catholic Orange man?????
    Or even a non protestant one????

If not then it is segregation...

How many Irish catholics are members ???

Still have the ban on attending the funeral of a catholic??

Not sure about being related to one?

Up untilfairly recently there was a specific ban on catholics ...

Not being christian myself (but parents are catholic) it's nothing to do with me..

But i can see why some might feel your order is prejudiced against catholics what with the comemorations and the bans..

How many roman Catholics are members of the Protestant faith?

woodoo wrote: »

Beat their drums louder. They have marches in Lisburn and pass by at mass time just to make a racket and cause offence. They are bad news full stop and they should never be allowed to march in Dublin.

Personnly not offended by the roman catholic faith so it would not bother me in the slightest.
    Any proof of this happening in Lisburn if you have you should contact the parades commission

contact the parades commission

Whom the OO don't recognise.:rolleyes:
    When you have a leader(Stevenson) saying he won't be talking to the commission, won't be attending a catholic ceremony and won't be attending GAA matches as a statement of provocation and rabble raising, then your organisation has major systemic problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Junder,

How many Catholics are members of the Orange Order ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

There is no place for bigoted societies in this country, even if they are thinly veiled by claims "culture" and "tradition". If the "orange order" truly is your culture and tradition, then I suggest you leave it behind in the dark ages where it belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

We're done here

Cheers

DrG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement