Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Government force AIB to lower Mortgage rate ?

Options
  • 05-07-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I personally think it's a disgrace that a Bank we all own now will not pass on the interest rate drop to variable mortgage holders, yet AIB will apparently reduce the rate on deposits for those people who are lucky enough to have savings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    I personally think it's a disgrace that a Bank we all own now will not pass on the interest rate drop to variable mortgage holders, yet AIB will apparently reduce the rate on deposits for those people who are lucky enough to have savings.

I personally think it's a disgrace that people who know nothing about the situation come on here and demand that AIB reduces it's rates. As a taxpayer (and mortgage holder with AIB), I am quite happy for them to remain the same (far lower than any other bank/credit union).

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

dotsman wrote: »
    I personally think it's a disgrace that people who know nothing about the situation come on here and demand that AIB reduces it's rates. As a taxpayer (and mortgage holder with AIB), I am quite happy for them to remain the same (far lower than any other bank/credit union).

Why then did they drop deposit rates and penalise deposit holders ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

As a taxpayer (and mortgage holder with AIB), I am quite happy for them to remain the same (far lower than any other bank/credit union).

Why so?

Why? Why not? What has that got to do with their mortgage lending rates (other than, for a bank to be profitable, their lending rates need to greatly exceed their deposit rates)? And why do you describe it as "penalise"? You are free to move your deposits to another bank if you want.
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Why so?
    well, I don't know about you guys, but I would like, at some stage, for our banks to get back to profitability and being an asset to this economy. Or we can continue to just throw money at them, but then insist they make massive losses - because that strategy has worked out brilliant so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, AIB just gave me a rate of 3.28 that was well below the rate being offered by others. At a lower rate they won't return to profitability.

• Advertisement

Why? Why not? What has that got to do with their mortgage lending rates (other than, for a bank to be profitable, their lending rates need to greatly exceed their deposit rates)? And why do you describe it as "penalise"? You are free to move your deposits to another bank if you want.
    Why so?
    well, I don't know about you guys, but I would like, at some stage, for our banks to get back to profitability and being an asset to this economy. Or we can continue to just throw money at them, but then insist they make massive losses - because that strategy has worked out brilliant so far.

Are we not undergoing Austerity, increased taxes and job losses / pay cuts as a result of their screw ups though?

Are we not undergoing Austerity, increased taxes and job losses / pay cuts as a result of their screw ups though?

No.

And even if all those things were because of "the banks" (and really, none of those things you mention have anything to do with the banking crisis), what good does it come from throwing our money away? We want - we need our banks back to a healthy, strong state asap.

No.

And even if all those things were because of "the banks" (and really, none of those things you mention have anything to do with the banking crisis), what good does it come from throwing our money away? We want - we need our banks back to a healthy, strong state asap.

I thought they were part of the cause

I wouldn't want our banks skint. Not at all. I would expect a lot of understanding though from my bank re our current situation and would reward their loyalty to me with my loyalty to them.

I thought they were part of the cause
    Not really! Everyone loves treating the banks as the bogeyman as it deflects attention away from the true issues. The simple fact that we are spending a hell of a lot more than we take in via taxes. All the various spending cuts and tax hikes are to do with that. The banking crisis is simply a one-off loan to the banks (one that has no chance of ever being repaid if the banks are not allowed operate profitably) from the EU/IMF via the Irish State. Since last weekend, it now looks like the Irish State will be bypassed and the EU will directly deal with the Irish banks - yet, there will be no change to our budget/austerity measures - simply because the two are completely unrelated.
    I wouldn't want our banks skint. Not at all. I would expect a lot of understanding though from my bank re our current situation and would reward their loyalty to me with my loyalty to them.
    But they are already extremely "understanding" if you want to use that phrase. AIB have, by far, the cheapest rates already, simply because they are charging their customers less than what they themselves are paying for the money. The reason they are so cheap is because they never passed on the previous rate increases in the first place!

As a layman, I am not at a financial loss with extra TAXES then as a partial consequence of the Banks having to be bailed out? A debt which became Sovereign?

• Advertisement

As a layman, I am not at a financial loss with extra TAXES then as a partial consequence of the Banks having to be bailed out?
    Nope. As said, all the extra taxes and spending cuts are to do with balancing the budget (a completely separate, and far more serious, problem). The funds that were given to the banks was borrowed by the government. Should the various banks be unable to repay the debts, in time, then tax money would have had to have been used to repay the debts. However...
    A debt which became Sovereign?
    It originally was sovereign debt, but now looks to be taken off the government books. If this turns out to be the case, then taxpayers won't be liable for the debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

State owned, banks still have to be operated as commercial entities which generate a return on investment.

While everyone would love *their* mortgage payment to drop, as a collective entity and part owners of said banks, we can't have our cakes and eat them.

Anyway, that's a whole topic of discussion that's way off course for this thread and probably better suited to the Irish Economy forum. Let's keep this for discussion of the actions of the lenders regarding the rate drop. This isn't a historical forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I dont feel the Irish banks should pass this on on their standard variable rates. We need profitable banks and already have some of the lowest residential mortgage rates in Europe so I dont feel the banks should be pressured to pass it on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It originally was sovereign debt, but now looks to be taken off the government books. If this turns out to be the case, then taxpayers won't be liable for the debts.

Ya think so! Tell me who owns the banks????

Don't be fooled by the accounting... it really does not matter where they put it, in the end we'll have to foot the bill if they banks can't pay it off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unlike may European banks, Irish banks have a big problem in this area because they are using short term deposits to finance long term loans (mortgages in most cases). This being the case the banks need to try and push the deposit rates down at every opportunity to have an chance of regaining their profitability.

Advertisement