Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAC Foundation

• 05-07-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Can someone help me with the MAC NC/NW jargon

After some googling I think I have it right that
    NW = Neutral Warm
    NC = Neutral Cool
    N = Neutral
    C = Cool

Aparantly the warm colours have a more peachy, pinky undertone and the cool colours have a more yellowy undertone.

If I am cool toned (pinky undertone / better wearing silver etc) do I go for NC or NW?

If I'm pink toned do I go for pink toned foundation to match my skintone or do I go with more yellow foundation to cancel out the pink?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 dazzledust88

pink toned foundation, for pink toned skin, being honest benefits new foundation is better than mac.
    I have used both and I def keep coming back to benefit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

MAC liquid foundation is absolutely awful in my opinion. I use the Studio Fix powder though which I find great!

Anyway I have pink undertones and use NW20. The NC colours make me look like an oompa loompa! Oh and I use Clinique foundation. Great for my skintone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I'm just so blooming confused ... I have quite pale, cool, pinky toned skin but any of the pink toned foundations I've used make me look even pinker so I thought I should be using something to cancel it out?

I know it's never perfectly straight forward when choosing foundation but I'm tired of spending a fortune on nearly right foundation!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

C1 is the best shade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can you get a sample of a colour or various colours and try them out and decide for yourself which you think suits you best?

I don't know if M.A.C do sample pots/sachets, but if you brought in some pot(s) yourself, surely they'd put some in it for you to try?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 dazzledust88

Orlee wrote: »
    I'm just so blooming confused ... I have quite pale, cool, pinky toned skin but any of the pink toned foundations I've used make me look even pinker so I thought I should be using something to cancel it out?

I know it's never perfectly straight forward when choosing foundation but I'm tired of spending a fortune on nearly right foundation!

Im a milk bottle and and have pink toned skin, best thing is to go in and get them to put on the make up for you, but dont buy there and then, just see what it looks like in natural light. as the lights inside the dept stores are really bright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Jocasta

I'm a pale redhead with pink toned skin. When I wear foundation I wear MAC Face & Body (which is very light coverage) and I have it in C1. Despite the fact it is meant to be yellow toned, it is the perfect shade for me. I also found MAC's description of NC/NW etc confusing, but in the end your best bet is always going to be to just try it.

When I was looking for a foundation I brought pots with me and MAC were very obliging in giving me a good sized sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

It depends on which look you want to achive. If you have pale skin but without any pinky undertones you could go for a slightly pink foundation. If you have pale skin but with a lot of pink I would advise going for yellow tones, this will neutralize any pinkness, but it will still look natural. Some foundations which have a pink base can turn quite dark on the skin after a few hours ( acids in the skin react with the pigment ) and give an unnatural tone to the skin, although I havent used many Mac foundations so I can't really say for sure about them. I always opt for yellow bases, you can still get these in paler tones and they will look natural. Bobbi Brown does a great range here http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/products/4886/Makeup/Face/All-Face/index.tmpl
    With advice on which colour to chose according to skin tone.

Advertisement