Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan's reads - summer of sports/history books

Options
  • 05-07-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Want to keep track of my reading so log seems like a good idea. Just finished no.1. Feel free to recommend some good books particularly slightly obscure sports books which I may not have read.

1) The Dirtiest Race in History by Richard Moore

Story of the 1988 Olympic 100m final where Ben Johnson smashed the world record then failed drug test. Focuses on the Johnson v Carl Lewis rivalry and their careers up to that point. Well written, well researched and enjoyable. Interesting look at drugs in sport generally too.

Rating 7.5 / 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

2) The Devil's Teardrop by Jeffery Deaver

Decided on a quick fiction fix to mix things up a little. This had been sitting in the to-read pile for a few years. This one is about a ruthless killer and his mastermind accomplice blackmailing Washington D.C. and the only evidence is a ransom note.....

Classic Deaver thriller full of twists and turns. Entertaining and readable.

Rating 7/10

Up next: Stephen Roche: Born to Ride.

3) Stephen Roche - Born to Ride

Very interesting and enjoyable book. Interesting look into Pro Cycling in the Kelly and Roche era. He really was some rider and I wish I had been onlder in 1987 to have appreciated his wins.

Well worth a read if your a cycling fan. If just a general sports fan then I'd say pick it up around July next year on paperback and read during the Tour de France.

I like that he dealt with the drugs controversy which emerged after he retired - not 100% convinced with how he dealt with - hard not to believe his accusors at times after the recent Lance Armstrong saga. On the assumption he was clean he must go down as one of Ireland's greats.

Rating 7/10

4) Running with Fire: The True Story of Harold Abrahams by Mark Ryan

Very enjoyable biography of the 100m Olympic gold medalist and legend of athletics officaldom. Charts the prejudice he faced for being Jewish and the I found the details of his admin career almost better than his racing career.

If you liked Chariots of Fire the film then read this

Rating 8/10

5) The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB by Milton Beardon

Very interesting account of the end of the Cold War. Book is split in 3 parts with Part One being the clear winner. Reads like a spy novel and was on course for a 9 or 10 out of 10 but the 2nd Part which recounts his time in Afghanastan just drags a bit too much. Probably as I had read Charlie Wilsons War and other books which covered this I found myself drifting away from the book. Worth sticking with it and gets an 8 overall

Rating 8/10

Half way through 11/22/63 by Stephen King - enjoying it but starting to drag a little and reading disgracefully little these days (stupid real/social life interfering with my love of books!)

6) The Brethern by John Grisham

Picked this up for €2 as wanted some light reading (crazy hours lately in work means brain is mush when get home). Really enjoyable novel about CIA plot to elect a handpicked President through generating fear and spending lots of money. Different from Grisham's usual lawyer in some form of crises format and better for it

8 out of 10

7) The Associate by John Grisham

More standard Grisham format - lawyer gets blackmailed to steal files, tries to fix hit on his own - basic enough but grand for airport reading

4 out of 10

8) The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Really enjoyable look investigating the theory that 1% of people are psychopaths who fake empathy and emotions. Wasn't a major fan of the Men Who Stare at Goats but like Ronson's style and glad I gave this book a chance. Will find yourself evaluating friends/co-workers and almost certianly decide ye know at least one psychopath (unless you are one....)

8 out of 10

9) Devilfish by Dave A. Ulliott

Autobiography of professional poker player. Funny at times but rubbish really. Glamourises his criminal past and not seeing his kids which turned me off it very early on. Easy to read and a few laughs but not worth it in my opinion.

3 out of 10

10) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

5 stories across different genres looking at man's thirst for power and freedom. Mix of historical fiction and post apocalyptic sci-fi. Regularly on people's top 10 list and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

Rating 8.5

11) 22/11/63 - by Stephen King

King's latest massive book asks if you could go back in time would you be able or would 'time' allow you to change thins? Tells the story of a teacher who discovers a portal to 1960's and decides to try save President Kennedy.

I like King's writing style and I enjoyed this book but fot me it was needlessly long. When it's good, it's very good, when it's not, it drags on a bit.

Overall worth a read but not a patch on The Stand

Rating: 7/10

12) I, Claudius by Robert Graves

Historical fiction written in the 1930's by renowned poet Robert Graves. Focuses on the reigns of Augustus, Tuberius and Caligula - the 1st three Emporers of the Roman Empire forged by Juilius Ceasar - told as seen by the future Emporer Claudius.

Really really enjoyed this. Focuses on an time which doesn't get as much coverage in historical fiction (or history books) as the civil war/end of Republic period of Ceasar, Pompey and Cicero. Claudius is an interesting narrator as he was dismissed as a fool and therefore able to survive longer than almost any member of the Imperial family. An absolute must read for anyone who enjoys Roman history/fiction.

Rating: 9.5/10

13) Claudius the God

Follow up to I, Claudius written in same style focussing on Claudius time as Emporer. Very enjoyable but not quite as good as the first book, probably because his reign just wasn't quite as interesting - less wars, more focus on Eastern politics and wasn't as insane/entertaining as Caligula (who made a horse a citizen, Senator and finally Counsel!). Still worth highly enjoyable especially in the parts where Claudius tries to reconcile his Republican beliefs with his holding on to Imperial power.

Rating: 7.5/10

14) Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dave Sobel

Book about John Harrison, an 18th century clockmaker who created the first clock sufficiently accurate and durable enough to be used to determine longitutde at sea. Having seen Harrison clocks in Greenwich Maritime Museum a few years ago I was interested to read more about him. Paints an interesting story showing the snobbery of astromoers, the genius of Harrison and the sheer difficulties of global commerce in a pre-technology world. Short but insightful book and well written.

Rating: 8.5/10

• Advertisement

15) Cosmopolis by Don Delillo

Delillo is very highky rated American writer whose books appear on many peoples favourite book lists. This is the first of his books ive read and it may well be the last as it just didn't work for me. Didn't like the writing style to the point the book annoyed me. Can't remember having such a negative reaction to a book. Disappointed as I hs heard great things.

Currently reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel which I'm very much enjoying.

Advertisement