Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KNIVES

Options
  • 05-07-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I thought these were illegal to carry around.

But arent these one of the most important survival and camping tool you can have ,you never see bear gryles without a knief .

Whats the law on carrying/using these in the woods thanks?

Is there any camping knief you would reccomend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Technically illegal in public but in the woods its understandable that you would have a knife.

Really though if you're not being a scum bag you could carry one all year and nobody would know, wouldn't worry too much about it really. You'd want to run into an awful gobsh1te of a guard to get done for still having your knife on you after a trip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Even when camping if you have a knife with you keep it in your pack never on a belt unless its under a jacket or shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Iv a knife with me most of the time within hands reach. If you have it for a reason you are fine ie camping, hunting or fishing. Sat night down the pub is askin for trouble obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

I would guess the gards would be grand if you were up in the woods or somesuch and they found one on you (in the unlikely scenario of them being out trolling the woods). Down the Swedish House Mafia concert, maybe not so much ;)

The thing that annoys me is its nearly impossible to buy a good knife in this country. A few years ago a good surplus shop that had good knives was told to stop selling them due to stabbings in the area it turned out (like 90% of stabbings) those people were stabbed with kitchen knives not hunting /fishing ect knives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

grapeape wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me is its nearly impossible to buy a good knife in this country. A few years ago a good surplus shop that had good knives was told to stop selling them due to stabbings in the area it turned out (like 90% of stabbings) those people were stabbed with kitchen knives not hunting /fishing ect knives
    I got my ka-bar over the counter at a locksmith's, although it wasn't cheap. There are decent local vendors if they can be found.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I got my ka-bar over the counter at a locksmith's, although it wasn't cheap. There are decent local vendors if they can be found.
    thats what i mean i got my ka-bar on line for half the price it was here and that was after months of searching to find somewhere that sold them here i nearly dropped when he told me it would be €150 here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I've always wanted to get a ka-bar but have never seen one for sale in shops here. And don't know what the procedure is for buying one legally online.

Is there any problems with customs or the gardai seizeing them through the mail? I do a lot of fishing and taking up hunting and need a really good knife that will last me for years.

FanadMan wrote: »
    I've always wanted to get a ka-bar but have never seen one for sale in shops here. And don't know what the procedure is for buying one legally online.

Is there any problems with customs or the gardai seizeing them through the mail? I do a lot of fishing and taking up hunting and need a really good knife that will last me for years.
    I got mine about 18 months ago and didnt have any problems getting it hennie is in the uk so you wont have a problem buying from them as its in the eu ive bought a lot from them lately

I got mine about 18 months ago and didnt have any problems getting it hennie is in the uk so you wont have a problem buying from them as its in the eu ive bought a lot from them lately

Arrgh!! So I've been having to use cheap rubbish when I could have gotten a decent knife years ago :(

Cheers for that Grape :)

• Advertisement

thats what i mean i got my ka-bar on line for half the price it was here and that was after months of searching to find somewhere that sold them here i nearly dropped when he told me it would be €150 here
    Jaysus, I got mine for €70, some chancers out there. Still pretty expensive but its a knife for life, like the skean dubh.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Yes i've got off Hennie before.
    Still knives this side of the atlantic are expensive .
    Can be got from Usa also alot cheaper including the 40$ postage
    Custom charges extra.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_and_Ammunition_FAQ

14. What are Offensive Weapons?

Certain weapons have been listed as offensive weapons.
    These include flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, butterfly knives, telescopic truncheons, blowpipes, kusari gama, kyoketsu shoge, manrikigusari, sap gloves, and machetes.
    Katanas or 'samurai swords' were added with effect from 1 September 2009, though there are exceptions to the ban designed for collectors and martial artists. You can read the full text of the 1991 Order on offensive weapons here and the 2009 amendment to it here.
    The Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, hire or loan of offensive weapons and penalties of up to seven years imprisonment can apply.

15. What are the laws on importing knives?

The only type of weapons prohibited for importation are those listed under the 1991 Order on offensive weapons and the 2009 amendment to it. This order includes flick knives and several types of disguised knives among other weapons. Other type of knives can be imported, however an individual could be charged for possession of same in public without a lawful reason as set out in Section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990

wolfeye wrote: »
    Yes i've got off Hennie before.
    Still knives this side of the atlantic are expensive .
    Can be got from Usa also alot cheaper including the 40$ postage
    Custom charges extra.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_and_Ammunition_FAQ

Certain weapons have been listed as offensive weapons.
    These include flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, butterfly knives, telescopic truncheons, blowpipes, kusari gama, kyoketsu shoge, manrikigusari, sap gloves, and machetes.
    Katanas or 'samurai swords' were added with effect from 1 September 2009, though there are exceptions to the ban designed for collectors and martial artists. You can read the full text of the 1991 Order on offensive weapons here and the 2009 amendment to it here.
    The Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, hire or loan of offensive weapons and penalties of up to seven years imprisonment can apply.

15. What are the laws on importing knives?

The only type of weapons prohibited for importation are those listed under the 1991 Order on offensive weapons and the 2009 amendment to it. This order includes flick knives and several types of disguised knives among other weapons. Other type of knives can be imported, however an individual could be charged for possession of same in public without a lawful reason as set out in Section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990

Have never seen this before - have no plans on importing a flick or butterfly (susshhhh - have one of each already ;)) But don't really need a big flashy knife - just one to take fishing and hunting......and possibly hiking/camping. Knew from Grapes post that could get knives from within EU but def didnt know that could get them from the US.

Not that worried bout paying for a decent knife if I can get it from the states. They do have some really good blade makers there. Been a fan of Ka-Bar and Cold Steel for a long time. Just wish there were some decent makers this side of the Atlantic.....apart from Finland - bought a really beautiful handmade knife there a few years ago. But I love it so much, all I do is polish it - don't want to destroy it by letting it near seawater.

But think it's the same over there as it is for us. I bought a Leatherman Wave (with a Mini Maglite on the sheath) for $62 in Detroit. Was looking at Victorinox Swiss Army knives in the same shop - they were so damn expensive. The SA that I carry with me at all times which cost about e30 here was over $100 in the states - prob due on both sides to have to import them.

Anyway, thanks so much to Grape and wolf for their info. Gonna look into maybe buying a decent blade from the States.....or even getting my brother to buy one there for me and posting it over ;)

Again thanks guys.......and mega apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread :)

Damn, I'd better go turn in my telescopic samurai flick-push-sword-umbrella blowpipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

, sword umbrellas,

Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990

No really, I mean look outside... umbrellas are ILLEGAL? :confused: Isn't drowning an offense too?

Think I'm off to buy a defensive canoe before someone decides the paddles are potentially lethal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Sword umbrellas not regular umbrellas!!

Advertisement