Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green Light To GLT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

About time. Ridiculous it took so long, but I applaud them for finally seeing sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Which system though ? Hawk Eye I've seen in action. Not sure what GoalRef is all about ?

Which one was trailed in that England game before the Euros ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

About time is right. It's just a pity, them cameras don't catch players who are diving or time wasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Good news. I like the element of human error in football but I think it's not going to change the drama of the game to have GLT in place nonetheless and as a bonus more accurate results will occur.

Slightly amusing tho that they used the Terry clearance v Ukraine as the photo. Presumably with GLT that would have been a goal (leading to just another controversy that the attack leading up to the goal was offside anyway!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

What's the betting that no goal-line incidents occur in the first season it's used?

I'm all for it, and for more technology afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

The smartest decision Blatter has ever made in his tenure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

About bloody time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Blatter has shown his true colours now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not a big fan as it wont roll out to all football.

But understand the iug money being spent on football, a wrong decision could cost millions. Modern football eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

About time. What i can't understand is why it's taken so long and why the sudden acceptance that it is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Degag wrote: »
    About time. What i can't understand is why it's taken so long and why the sudden acceptance that it is needed.

Blatter was dead against it until the English team got an incorrect decision in their favour. He's always had a hard on for the english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

delad wrote: »
    Blatter was dead against it until the English team got an incorrect decision in their favour. He's always had a hard on for the english.
    Dunno, but i remember when the Henry incident happened and the issue of technology came up, we were almost laughed out of it - or at least that was the impression i got.

To be fair to IFAB, they've been doing a big, proper trial for months now. Better to take longer and get a system which works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

delad wrote: »
    Blatter was dead against it until the English team got an incorrect decision in their favour. He's always had a hard on for the English.

Eh, I've always got the impression England is high on his list of countries he dislikes.

e.g, Continual criticism of the financial influence of the EPL, World Cup bids for 2006 and 2018 which he campaigned against (particularly 2006 when he only stopped short of wearing a South Africa jersey), comments about their guaranteed position on the rules committee IFAB etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Eh, I've always got the impression England is high on his list of countries he dislikes.

e.g, Continual criticism of the financial influence of the EPL, World Cup bids for 2006 and 2018 which he campaigned against (particularly 2006 when he only stopped short of wearing a South Africa jersey), comments about their guaranteed position on the rules committee IFAB etc.

I think that's what he means. The ball was over the line that Terry cleared so England got the decision in their favour. Blatter didn't like it so he's bringing in GLT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think that's what he means. The ball was over the line that Terry cleared so England got the decision in their favour. Blatter didn't like it so he's bringing in GLT!

Ah cool, I read it wrong and thought he meant the Lampard 'goal' in 2010.

G.K. wrote: »
    To be fair to IFAB, they've been doing a big, proper trial for months now. Better to take longer and get a system which works.

Years at this stage I thought. I'm old and cynical enough to think the biggest kickback for certain people will be the one that wins out since there's a few systems that should be equally as good.

Years at this stage I thought. I'm old and cynical enough to think the biggest kickback for certain people will be the one that wins out since there's a few systems that should be equally as good.

The whole thing's been years, yes.

I meant the extensive trialling of Hawkeye and GoalRef

G.K. wrote: »
    The whole thing's been years, yes.

I meant the extensive trialling of Hawkeye and GoalRef

Yeah I just think the trialling has been as extensively as it has for lip-service and perks for certain people reasons rather than out of necessity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I can imagine the premierleague using Hawkeye as it's "british" and is sexier but the goalref tech just seems so much cheaper and simpler to use. That would be my preference.

I also think the fact that only the ref will know because of his watch is a good thing as I can see Hawkeye problems if its put up on the big screen for the crowd like at the tennis. Tennis spectators are a sedate and civilized lot but I can see some terrace thugs starting a riot or two because a pixel of the ball looked like it was touching the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Kirby wrote: »
    I can imagine the premierleague using Hawkeye as it's "british" and is sexier but the goalref tech just seems so much cheaper and simpler to use. That would be my preference.

I also think the fact that only the ref will know because of his watch is a good thing as I can see Hawkeye problems if its put up on the big screen for the crowd like at the tennis. Tennis spectators are a sedate and civilized lot but I can see some terrace thugs starting a riot or two because a pixel of the ball looked like it was touching the line.

They'd never have a screen like rugby or tennis. Even at the Euros they didn't show any of the controversial goals to stop crowd trouble occuring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

About time, it will be interesting to see how its used and what the stoppages will be like and the restarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I assume this is just for football on the telly then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ah cool, I read it wrong and thought he meant the Lampard 'goal' in 2010.

I was the Lampard disallowed goal in 210 that changed Blatter's mind

He said so at the press conference or whatever they had after the vote yesterday,

It does not really matter if the guy has a 'hard on' or not for the English, when that happened in 2010, he was in the crowd and then decided that his cannot continue.

CiaranC wrote: »

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was the Lampard disallowed goal in 210 that changed Blatter's mind

He said so at the press conference or whatever they had after the vote yesterday,

It does not really matter if the guy has a 'hard on' or not for the English, when that happened in 2010, he was in the crowd and then decided that his cannot continue.

And you buy that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

A couple of quick vids for the people (like myself) who weren't 100% on how all these technologies actually function.

Goalref http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rilUXE5-ido

Hawkeye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exEHTO-YnuE

I am interested to see how far down the footballing ladder FIFA will expect this tech to be implemented.

The goalref one looks like it'd be easily enough at any ground. However having something like Hawkeye set up at Dalymount Park for instance could prove a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

CiaranC wrote: »

I am under the illusion that it will be for clubs that can afford to install the technology in their grounds and it must be FIFA approved to see if it works properly.

I think I heard the "chip in ball" system costs around €500 per ball so i dont think we will be getting it in the LOI any times soon :pac:

The FAI Cup final may be a different story although knowing the FAI, the clubs will probably be made pay for it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

GLT is stupid. How often does a ball maybe crossing the line decide the game? Maybe once/twice a year in major competitions, not even close to how many offsides given/not given decide a game which i would guess could be upto nearly every second game.

Why not have a video ref instead of sticking some chip in a ball and having special goals to identify if it crossed the line or not? Then any game that is televised can have "GLT".

If you put in the foundation of video refs, it could someday worked in to decide close offside decisions and other major decisions if appropriate.

Soccer is extremely badly officiated in comparison to other professional sports, it needs a lot of improvements.

I don't really get the chip-in-a-ball method unless the whole ball is coated in something that triggers sensors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Would like to see a challenge system brought into play in the future but don't know if it would be possible or practical.

What I mean is something similar to how they use Hawk Eye at Wimbledon. Each manager gets 3 challenges per game and can use them as they see fit. Be it for a penalty, a free, a red card incident or a goal line incident. Get it right, still have 3 challenges remaining. Get it wrong, you're down to two (or one, might stop people from taking the piss).

No idea how it could be used for offsides though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

It was being properly tested well before then, though. HawkEye was tested at the England-Belgium match before Euro 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

listermint wrote: »
    And you buy that...

Well I don't actually care when Blatter changed his mind about this, I was just clarified for the other posters what he said.

And as others have said this was trialed long before England v Ukraine a few weeks back

Advertisement