Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco selling Irish Grown Plants for 5 euro each

Options
  • 05-07-2012 10:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

We went a bit mad in Tesco this evening and bought "1 or 2" plants.

Tesco are selling Irish Grown plants and flowers for 5 euro a pot.

Now just to figure out where to plant them.:D

Happy days.:)

DSCF0078.jpg
    DSCF0077.jpg
    DSCF0076.jpg
    DSCF0075.jpg
    DSCF0073.jpg
    DSCF0072.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Loads of them available in Tesco,Artane Castle this morning.

Bought a heap more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I had a look and thought they were quite dear - 5 euro for small buddleias:(
    I'll wait till they forget to water them and offer them for half price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

planetX wrote: »
    I'll wait till they forget to water them and offer them for half price...

Glad to hear there is someone as tight as myself ;)

Whenever I pass a branch of Woodies I always call in to see their reduced plant section. Picked up many a bargain.

Well lads and lasses,Im actually allready growing various stuff from seed and from cuttings for next year (learning every day).

But when myself and my missus saw these and them being so fresh,we said fcuk it and decided to buy them and plant up the far side of the garden with them.

No harm in that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Mo60 wrote: »
    Glad to hear there is someone as tight as myself ;)

Whenever I pass a branch of Woodies I always call in to see their reduced plant section. Picked up many a bargain.

me too, but everything there is mislabelled - I got a nice little geum today, every single one labelled as Arabis:confused:

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well lads and lasses,Im actually allready growing various stuff from seed and from cuttings for next year (learning every day).

But when myself and my missus saw these and them being so fresh,we said fcuk it and decided to buy them and plant up the far side of the garden with them.

No harm in that.:)

No harm at all. I also buy plants at full price if I see something that takes my fancy.

Like yourself I grow from seed and cuttings - its all part of the joys of gardening.

No harm at all. I also buy plants at full price if I see something that takes my fancy.

Like yourself I grow from seed and cuttings - its all part of the joys of gardening.

Im learning from my missus...shes the the "sherriff" and Im only the "deputy".;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I used to work in a nurserie for years, we suplied tesco home base b.q at the time , all plants had to be shiped over to england to there central ditribution center and then shiped back to ireland,so i am always warey of buying them from these stores , after the lenght of time they spend on danish trollies and the chemicals used to extend there shelf life.
    Also if we could not meet an order for one of the above due to weather or disease we would have to buy the plants in from holland, ship them to ireland change pots if needed and change the plant lables "lables with our logo"
    so be aware when your buying "irish grown plants"

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Goodness me those plants are expensive, I would never dream of buying plants from Tesco, they are robbing gits and thats for everything the sell.

kynzvart wrote: »
    Goodness me those plants are expensive, I would never dream of buying plants from Tesco, they are robbing gits and thats for everything the sell.

Note to self......Must never mention Tesco ever ever again here on this forum so.:(

Yeah,the garden centres and diy stores in the immediate area of Tesco Artane Castle and Tesco Clarehall are currently way cheaper for those specific plants,arent they??????;)

• Advertisement

You do not appear to live in Ireland so would not necessarily know how much various plants cost here. They are a lot cheaper in the UK but its a long way to travel ;)

I do not think that Tesco are any dearer than the DIY stores for plants, in fact they are sometimes cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I beg to differ Mo60, I do know the price of plants in Ireland as I have a property there in North Dublin with a very nice garden, that I have spent a lot of euros on. I was born and reared in Dublin and spend a lot of my time there.When I am not there my brother looks after it.I still think Tesco is a very expensive supermarket, be it in Dublin , the UK or the Czech Republic.

I beg to differ Mo60, I do know the price of plants in Ireland as I have a property there in North Dublin with a very nice garden, that I have spent a lot of euros on. I was born and reared in Dublin and spend a lot of my time there.When I am not there my brother looks after it.I still think Tesco is a very expensive supermarket, be it in Dublin , the UK or the Czech Republic.

Do you know the current prices of those specific plants and flowers in the garden centres and diy stores in the area of Clarehall and Artane????????

I think not.;)

Some of the plants bought by OP in Tesco for 5 euro were on sale in Woodies for 7.99. I bought some recently, albeit at a reduced price, and the original price was marked at 7.99.

Some of the plants bought by OP in Tesco for 5 euro were on sale in Woodies for 7.99. I bought some recently, albeit at a reduced price, and the original price was marked at 7.99.

Im glad that you posted that,because at least someone else (apart from me) is on the ball here.;)

Thanks again.:)

Im off back out into the garden to finish off planting,pics to follow.;):D

Finished.:)

Advertisement