Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally have a skinny lab x !!!

• 05-07-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

So about 6 months ago I posted here frustrated about not being able to get the weight off my 10 year old lab x, well finally he has a fabulous waistline that I'm jealous of myself!! :D

He was fed the same amount of food but the only thing I can think of that's different is that he was taken out of agility retirement and now I'm wondering if happiness has helped the weight loss because training once a week isn't enough exercise to have shifted that weight on it's own.

Whatever the reason he's looking fab now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Pics....post some pics!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well done well done! Now get used to being asked "what kind of dog is that?!!?". I got that 4 times in the vets earlier with my GR because he's a streamlined swimming machine - and not a fatty bumbum like what they're used to seeing! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

556161_3376346333653_1704315518_n.jpg

I don't have a good before and after shot that shows the weight loss but here he is a week ago at a show, looking good for 10 year old and his smilie face says it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Gorgeous Oscar! He looks so fabulous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Wow!
    I never would have believed he's 10!
    He's a hansome devil too;)

So happy looking, I'd keep up the agility, can't do any harm and may keep him from getting stiff. You can always slow it down and lower jumps if he's not able.
    Wish my fella wasn't so insane, he'd love agility but has the attention span of a flea and is distracted and wants to play with everyone. Have to stick to the home made jumps and games in the garden. :o

• Advertisement

Funny thing is that he was retired for about 6 years through me being ill, him being overweight when I was better and me having 3 new dogs to train up. So I reluctantly retired him to focus on the 3 other dogs. I started bringing him training more for a day out than anything else but one of the juniors we train with had been working an exceptionally bold JRT and after 2 years this bold JRT was no more interested in staying in the ring for a full round than she was at the start so the poor girl left the ring in a frustrated temper and was stood outside watching with Oscar watching beside her. It suddenly dawned on me that here was a fully trained agility dog with no handler, and an experienced handler with no suitable dog...... So I suggested she give him a go and that was that! He adores her, is a very honest dog so will bust his heart to do what she asks of him and they're just a perfect partnership. He's happier than he's ever been and she's goign to be trying out with him for the Irish team going to the Open Junior Agility Championships next year :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well done too many dogs.Had my lab at the vet again today about her hips.

She needs to lose 5-7 kgs.She wont eat the weight loss food.She wont even eat light foods.Shes actually left them there for 3 days without eating (Im as stubborn as her)

I dont know how Im going to get this weight off her.He did put her on Rheumocam anti inflammatorys to see if she`ll walk a bit more to try get it off that way.

You see I walk her for 30-40 mins a day but then shes sore the next day and I give her a break cos I feel sorry for her for a couple of days but Im told that losing the weight is more important than her being stiff the next day or so.

So any hints and tips to help me out?/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Well done too many dogs.Had my lab at the vet again today about her hips.

She needs to lose 5-7 kgs.She wont eat the weight loss food.She wont even eat light foods.Shes actually left them there for 3 days without eating (Im as stubborn as her)

I dont know how Im going to get this weight off her.He did put her on Rheumocam anti inflammatorys to see if she`ll walk a bit more to try get it off that way.

You see I walk her for 30-40 mins a day but then shes sore the next day and I give her a break cos I feel sorry for her for a couple of days but Im told that losing the weight is more important than her being stiff the next day or so.

Hellrazer have you tried burns dog good? The high oats one is meant for overweight dogs but in fact any of the flavours would suit. As regards excercise have you tried swimming with her? My old lab who has HD and arthritis loves the beach so my much. If you don't have a beach near you you could try hydrotherapy which is pricey but is cover by pet insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hellrazer wrote: »

Is there a hydro place near you? My guy swims 20 mins in his weekly session and there's no fat on him. It's perfect as there's no impact on their joints and if anything strong tight muscles can only help with joint problems. A paddle in the river/sea is not the same as hydro and won't get the same results - hydro is intense physio. Food wise he's on raw/barf but I've heard of a lot of dogs losing weight on burns/luath. I feel like one of those egg council guys on the simpsons when I suggest raw like I'm trying to brainwash people lol - but putting him has really benefited him. I think you can get away with cutting their food back easier on raw - with dry they look at you as if to tell you haven't put enough in their bowl but with the raw it's like it's so tasty for them they're happy with what they get! :pac:
    Are you giving her anything for the pain - glucosamine etc? Flexicose is brilliant. The only thing I've splashed out on with my redundancy is a years supply of it lol :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We have one dog who puts on weight just by looking at food. We feed them on Fish4Dogs and you feed them really little with that and the poor boy gets hardly any and walked more than the rest of the shelties. He is on a perpetual diet.

I can't wait to bring my old man to agility again, we used to do it up north and we recently found (what seems like) good classes. He's roughly 11 (he's from a pound so we don't know) but still runs around like a puppy. It would just be for fun though, it'll be fun to do something with just him and me again. The shelties took over a bit in the house

• Advertisement

I have to say the raw food really is excellent to be able to adjust a dogs weight up and down, I've really successfully balanced the other dogs winter padding and summer skinniness. Ive completely lost touch with dry dog food. That's why I was so frustrated it wasn't working on Oscar, now I'm wondering if he was a tiny bit depressed, and happiness made him loose the weight. Corny I know :D

Advertisement