Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper van in galway this weekend

Options
  • 05-07-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Am headin to galway this weekend for the volvo ocean race in a campervan. Am aware there will be big crowds around. Just wondering does anyone know a safe place to park for the weekend or is there any restrictions on were we can park? cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A few park in the Dyke Road car park. It's only free from 6.30 in the evening to early morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

There were some parked behind the Galway Business School/ Galway Cultural Institute this evening on that small cul de sac off what looks to be called Grattan Road on Google Maps. I didn't think that was Grattan Road too though.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=salthill&hl=en&ll=53.262896,-9.070861&spn=0.001877,0.004823&safe=off&hnear=Salthill,+County+Galway&t=m&z=18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

Just to be aware if you decide to park on the new prom, I have seen the guards going from camper to camper, knocking on the doors and moving them on.

It's such a shame in Ireland we don't recognise that camper facilities would be an asset to the tourism industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jacko85

Cheers for the replys folks! Its good to get an idea were to go before we set of. Kinda lookin for somewere to park on sat night and stay till monday. Dont mind payin a bit either but there doesnt seem to be a proper area for campers in any town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

There is a campsite in Salthill. Also passed St Endas secondary school and there was lados of campers and caravans in there for some camper thing r something.
    Its the same really in most countries that you can't park on the side of the road, hence the large amount of campsites around the country,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Use the black box car park behind the Omniplex. It's 5euro for the day and after 6pm free so great value in my opinion. As you go in the entrance head left and down that side I'm not sure if the right hand side has an hourly charge these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Just to be aware if you decide to park on the new prom, I have seen the guards going from camper to camper, knocking on the doors and moving them on.

It's such a shame in Ireland we don't recognise that camper facilities would be an asset to the tourism industry.

Its a shame we dont recognise any facilities would be an asset to the tourism industry.
    some political party cronies would hace to make a fortune from it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

It is a huge pity, but if there were decent camper facilities in Ireland, you can practically guarantee that they would be taken over and trashed, and it wouldn't be by paying tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It is a huge pity, but if there were decent camper facilities in Ireland, you can practically guarantee that they would be taken over and trashed, and it wouldn't be by paying tourists.

Ok, so how come the campsite at Salthill survives?

Seems to me that the real huge pity is the lack of tourist facilities management, and acknowledgement that not everyone wants to stay in a BnB with frilly pillows and a fussy hostess watching every move.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Theres a big car park down behind the docks, lots of camper vans there, its 2 mins walk to the docks, with clear views of boats coming to and from the docks. I think its owned by Galway Harbour Company, and even though theres signs for parking permits, i think thats for the rest of the year, as I didnt see anyone with tickets, and the last think Galway Harbour company want is fine or clamp people coming to the volvo. The road is closed off at Lough Atalia but they let people through you are heading down to the Harbour Business park. Someone better with google maps might put up a link, (infront of Bow waves)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

JustMary wrote: »
    Ok, so how come the campsite at Salthill survives?

Seems to me that the real huge pity is the lack of tourist facilities management, and acknowledgement that not everyone wants to stay in a BnB with frilly pillows and a fussy hostess watching every move.

I thought that was all static caravans rather than bring-your-own?
    I'm not up that way often though.

I agree with you about the frilly-pillowed B&Bs though, It's hard to relax when you feel like a grumpy host is scrutinising you fully expecting you to chop up the furniture for firewood and throw their TV out the window :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

The Salthill Caravan Park, there is half the front main road field with mostly campers on it.

I know that when you travel through UK and into France etc, the camper facilities are more docking berths that caravan fields.

There is so much that could be made of this country just to get the people in and spending money. And I don't mean big money, but they would be buying diesel and the usual bread and milk and the odd meal out. We have such a beautiful country that's most of the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The grounds of St Endas College in Salthill is packed with caravans and camper vans, not sure who is running this but passed by a while ago its a small village.

Advertisement