Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands Olympic Squad

• 05-07-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Who should be in it and who should manage it?

I suggest Roy Keane to manage it. Even though he is a traitor and not able to manage long term relationships, I think he would be a good short term manager who could make an impact.

I would like a complete clearout of the current squad, promote all of our under 21 team to the senior squad instead and give them a chance to shine.

For strategy, copy Spains tactics of pass and move, and aim to win back the ball within 5 seconds when its lost.

Anyone who plays a long ball is immediately substituted and dropped from the team for the rest of the tournament.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

**** the football, do we get to sing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

delad wrote: »

I suggest Roy Keane to manage it. Even though he is a traitor and not able to manage long term relationships, I think he would be a good short term manager who could make an impact.

I would like a complete clearout of the current squad, promote all of our under 21 team to the senior squad instead and give them a chance to shine.

For strategy, copy Spains tactics of pass and move, and aim to win back the ball within 5 seconds when its lost.

Anyone who plays a long ball is immediately substituted and dropped from the team for the rest of the tournament.

Thoughts?
    tumblr_lwl4x8PD2o1qkv4zy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kinda weird noone on boards has wondered why we dont have an Olympic team when we clearly meet the criteria. Semi pros and amateurs playing week in week out in LOI and LSL and other places outside dublin.

Any Shamrock Rovers fan want to clear this one up ? this is ****ing hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats some of the lads who played in our u-21 qualification campaign but didn't qualify for the finals which also acted as Olympic qualification.

Stephen Henderson
    Seamus Coleman
    Brendan Moloney
    Robert Kiernan
    Seamus Conneely
    Richie Towell
    Conor Hourihane
    Conor Clifford
    Joe Mason
    Adam Rooney
    James McCarthy
    Robbie Brady
    Anthony Stokes
    Graham Carey Shane McEleney
    Shane Redmond
    Karl Sheppard
    Paddy Madden
    Daniel Kearns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Thoughts?

Copying Spain's tactics would take a bit more than that.

Also aidy White would be a shoe-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I suggest Roy Keane to manage it. Even though he is a traitor and not able to manage long term relationships,

Roy Keane and his faithful dog Triggs had a successful partnership for over 13 years and neither ever once told the other to "stick it up your bollocks" or "the only reason I walk with you is that somehow you are my pet/owner" etc

So basically we just have to find Roy 18 loyal footballers with glossy coats and wet noses who will work for a bowl pedigree chum per day and the gold will be ours.

G.K. wrote: »
    Copying Spain's tactics would take a bit more than that.

Not with me in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Do we even have an Olympic football team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

conor360 wrote: »
    Do we even have an Olympic football team?

No, because we didn't qualify for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Thoughts?

First your thread on how the media should change match coverage, now this sh1te.

Alright- who are you, and what are you up to? :pac: Honestly, Sepp Blatter comes out with more sense than your posts.

Out of curiousity have we ever played Olympic football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Out of curiousity have we ever played Olympic football?

We made it to the quarter finals of the 1924 olympics in football.

Bloody hell. Suprised not a few more, we have had the odd few succesful underage squads.

Has a British side ever qualified for it before? For example, if England technically qualified on another occasion, were they barred from entry as "England" is not recognised as an Olympic nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I remember going to Olympic qualifying games for 1988 olympics, the side was all LOI players. Vaguely remember them drawing 2-2 v Spain in Tolka. When Charlton came in he wanted the olympic side to be underage pros and the LOI players lost out on representing Ireland. Is this right or am I totally mixing it up?

I remember going to Olympic qualifying games for 1988 olympics, the side was all LOI players. Vaguely remember them drawing 2-2 v Spain in Tolka. When Charlton came in he wanted the olympic side to be underage pros and the LOI players lost out on representing Ireland. Is this right or am I totally mixing it up?

IIRC the criteria is usually how well a team performed in the under 21 championship of their confederation, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

IIRC the criteria is usually how well a team performed in the under 21 championship of their confederation, no?

Back then ,with a lesser amount of countries in Europe, there was more time for a separate Olympic qualifying tournament.

The FAI did indeed enter an LOI representative team in the qualifiers for 88.

Edit : And it wasn't an age restricted competition back then either so it was a real LOI representative team.
    I think the restrictions back then were based on an upper limit on how many senior caps you had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Kinda weird noone on boards has wondered why we dont have an Olympic team when we clearly meet the criteria. Semi pros and amateurs playing week in week out in LOI and LSL and other places outside dublin.

Any Shamrock Rovers fan want to clear this one up ? this is ****ing hilarious :pac:

:confused:

The Irish U21's compete in every Olympic qualification cycle, which is the European U21 Championship closest to the next Olympic games.

We just never get near qualifying because only 8 go to the finals (and then only the top three from there).

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

We just never get near qualifying because only 8 go to the finals (and then only the top three from there).

So what happens if either England, Scotland or Wales (or N. Ireland.... :pac: ) finish in the top 3, seeing as, AFAIK, none of these are regarded as a compeiting state by the Olympics? Do they still just get to field a GB team with restrictions on using players from outside the part of Britain they are from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So what happens if either England, Scotland or Wales (or N. Ireland.... :pac: ) finish in the top 3, seeing as, AFAIK, none of these are regarded as a compeiting state by the Olympics? Do they still just get to field a GB team with restrictions on using players from outside the part of Britain they are from?

My understanding is that fourth place would receive the Olympic berth in that scenario...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    My understanding is that fourth place would receive the Olympic berth in that scenario...

Bit unfair in truth. You would think they would have a clause stating that if, say, England won a place, it would be entered as a GB team, but only England national team eligible players could play for said GB team.

Nope, if England qualify via the Euro U21 championships, then they have not taken the available place in the Olympics.
    For Beijing 2008 England won a place by qualifying for the Semis of the EuroU21s, and the outcome was that the 3rd place finishers in each group played a one-off playoff for the Olympic spot.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship#Olympic_Qualifying_Play-Off

Edit : Just noticed Moutinho scored the first penalty in the shootout for Portugal, another pointer to how it made sense for him to go first in the semi-final last month!!

• Advertisement

Nope, if England qualify via the Euro U21 championships, then they have not taken the available place in the Olympics.
    For Beijing 2008 England won a place by qualifying for the Semis of the EuroU21s, and the outcome was that the 3rd place finishers in each group played a one-off playoff for the Olympic spot.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship#Olympic_Qualifying_Play-Off[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Sounds so that if the UK really wanted to it could split three ways for this, of course this meaning they have to split for everything, and it cuts out a talent pool of Scots/ Welsh for what are traditionally more prestigious Olympic sports like swimming and track.

Not to forget that barnstorming Scottish squad who bored the world to death curling their way to gold a few years ago :pac: (or maybe that is winter olympics....either way, shocking sport. Its like watching the world greatest janitor competition)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Back then ,with a lesser amount of countries in Europe, there was more time for a separate Olympic qualifying tournament.

The FAI did indeed enter an LOI representative team in the qualifiers for 88.

Edit : And it wasn't an age restricted competition back then either so it was a real LOI representative team.
    I think the restrictions back then were based on an upper limit on how many senior caps you had.

It was pretty much the Rovers team of that era iirc.

Hmm. Sounds so that if the UK really wanted to it could split three ways for this,

Thats the thing, they don't really want it.

Theres enough people in world football who look at the UK situation and wonder how they have 8 Champions League places, 12 Europa League places, + multiple representation on rule boards, executives and committees. All this despite actually just being one country governed from London (obviously we know UK politics is a bit more complex than that)

The less attention that is drawn to these inconsistencies the better, as far as the 4 separate boards are concerned, who want to maintain the status quo. And a UK team at every Olympics would be the sort of thing that people would point at and look at and say 'oh, now isnt that an interesting idea, tell me again why they compete seperately in uefa/fifa competitions'.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Thoughts?

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I ****ing dont :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Could we even play in the Olympics given we compete as a united south/north both of which have seperate football associations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Could we even play in the Olympics given we compete as a united south/north both of which have seperate football associations?

I think the IFA are part of the Great Britain team. As far as I know, Northern Irish players were available to be picked for Team GB but none were?

Advertisement