Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on keeping a tortoise.

Options
  • 05-07-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm really interested in getting a tortoise but don't just want to launch into it.

Basic questions: Where would I get one and how much do they cost?

Is there any point in getting one entering into Winter?

Any other beginner advice welcome.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

depending on the tortoise your looking for either a vivarium or tortoise table will do , with a heat bulb and uv bulb , a hide and woodchips for substrate

they are great and fun to keep , best of luck if you get one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

IRcolm wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm really interested in getting a tortoise but don't just want to launch into it. Basic questions: Where would I get one and how much do they cost
    Thank you!

Reptile Haven in Dublin would be you best bet as to where to go.

Prices for beginner species like hermanns are usually around €150 ish.

Yes and keep it inside and if its a young one it will be able to
    spend alot of time outside in a secure pen from around 3/4 years old.
    Theres Hermanns, Horsefields, Red foots, Yellow foots, Leopards, Sulcatas and Indian stars Tortoises all available over here and other species too but these would be the most commonly kept species.

Hope that helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Would there be any point buying now/Autumn if they need to hibernate? Or do they not hibernate as hatchlings?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Nearly sure its from 3/4 years old them they start hibernation/brumation and alot of keepers dont unless breeding and I would brumate a tortoise under that age as they might not have enough weight on them to survive it. Ben in Reptile Haven is the best person around to ask though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

when he gets bigger you more or less need 10 Meter squared spacing for him to move around,

Make a Wooden box for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

IRcolm wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm really interested in getting a tortoise but don't just want to launch into it.

Basic questions: Where would I get one and how much do they cost?

Thank you!

they cost anywhere from E100 upwards, depending on species and age.

i would recommend doing some reading on www.tortoisetrust.org
    and shelledwarriors.co.uk/forums

they can be tricky to get their husbandry just right but when you do its simple enough.
    some hibernate, some don't.
    they should be available for the next few months, reptile haven is generally
    recommended.

just make sure you research for the specific species ypu want as they have differing needs, from diet, heat and humidity.

good luck

Advertisement