Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best cheap straightener

• 05-07-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Hi, My GHD's broke while I was on holidays so need to replace them ASAP :(

Only problem is, I'm broke.. So I'm looking for the best cheap straighteners available, and if anyone has info on where best to buy them (offers on etc) it would be great :)

My hair is long, thick and curly/wavy/frizzy..

If anyone knows where I could get GHD's for (very) cheap I would consider them too I suppose.. I would prefer the original ones (the ones before the ones that beep), as they are the ones I had and I found they work better then the IV series.

Looking to pick up/order a pair tomorrow, so any advice appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I always think that Remington straighteners are the best alternative to GHD's, and to be honest I've stuck with them for the last few years since they seem to fry my hair less while still being as effective.

They come in a range of prices depending on how much you have to spend.

This is the one I have at the moment:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4433707/Trail/searchtext%3EREMINGTON.htm
    (half price at the mo!!)

They also do cheaper ones like this:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4436481/Trail/searchtext%3EREMINGTON.htm

And the most basic:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4436450/Trail/searchtext%3EREMINGTON.htm - Very good value, I would get one again if I was stuck, was my first straightener many moons ago! :D

Whatever you decide, avoid Nicky Clarke ones at ALL costs! I bought one for a tenner just to get me through til payday when my last straightener broke after 3 years..... Not even worth that. It catches in your hair and just isn't designed well. Seems to have more of a risk of scorching things too, due to the way the plates are places (scorched my heatproof bag :confused:)

Hope you find something you like! Could always try ebay for old model GHD's if you don't? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

The Remington ones are good for their price, but I too have curly, thick and frizzy hair, and had to use them on their highest setting for a little longer than the GHDs would normally take. So heat damage is much higher than the GHDs.

Can't remember the type I used, they were on sale for about 20-30 quid. They were grand for my mom and sister, who have straight-wavy hair, but for anyone with more than a kink, I would recommend going back to GHDs in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

babyliss ones are great - you can get a set of tongs and straightener in argos,and they have even cheaper ranges from about 10 euro..great value,i have mine and its good quality it lasted a good couple of years,and will see me through a few more years yet i would say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

In the past I have used the Remington wet2straight and found it very good and it doesn't damage your hair as you'd expect when ironing it from wet. Hard to beat ghd though.

Advertisement