Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 180 grain+ .308 hunting ammo

Options
  • 05-07-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey guys, anyone have any ideas for good .308 ammo In the 180+ grain region??? My barrel is a 1/10 twist so I'm lookin for a heavier bullet. I'm currently using lapua naturalis, pretty good but im wondering if anyone has any experience with another brand??

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Tommy87 wrote: »
    Hey guys, anyone have any ideas for good .308 ammo In the 180+ grain region??? My barrel is a 1/10 twist so I'm lookin for a heavier bullet. I'm currently using lapua naturalis, pretty good but im wondering if anyone has any experience with another brand??

Cheers

What are you hunting/shooting that you need 180g bullets for.

I use 150g SST in my .308 and they are plenty enough for deer stalking. They are fast and flat enough to give me a good PBR out to about 225y for quick shooting. I reciently bought a box of 165g SST to try out but I have not tried them yet so can't comment.

I would think that 180g's would only be of any use for close up stuff that needs a big round like driven boar or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

It's for deer stalking. I have it since march(missed the whole season because of an 11 month wait for my licence!) ive tried everything from 125grain to 150gr sst. Federal soft point, hornady soft points, even all the fmj ammo. Can't get a decent group.

So I took it to Fergal white in athlone for a new stock and glass bedding job and pillar bed the action, but he suggested that all I needed was to change to heavier ammo as the barrel is a 1/10 twist. So I went for an adjustable trigger and muzzle brake instead. Its a ruger m77 mark ii so the trigger is a joke. Can't wait to get it back and try the new ammo. Should be a lot better with the lighter trigger aswell.

What is the twist rate in your .308 btw??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Tried out a few Federal power-shok, 180gr when i had the 1-10. Done well in it. Not as well as others, but in the shops i frequent these were the heaviest hunting rounds i found.

Also cheaper than other brands. €30 or so per 20.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Can't get a decent group.
    Are you using the ruger rings on the gun?

I find it very hard to find anything heavier than 150gr. I'm trying to find some federal vital shock, according to the website they have 180grain nosler partition and 180grain trophy bonded tip. I'm in north Kerry and I asked my local dealer to order these and when I went back all he got me was 2 different kinds of fmj ammo!!! He must either be hard of hearing or not really give a toss!!

I wouldn't mind travelling a bit for them if it would sort out my problem. Either that or a hearing aid for the dealer!! :)

• Advertisement

I had to change the rings as I got a scope with a 25mm tube. But they are ruger rings. Do you think it could be scope/rings problem??

I bought mine in Stakelums, but have not bought them in a while nor have i been down to Sean i a couple of months.

Give him a call, and ask. He is in Thurles. Bit of a trip for you though.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I had to change the rings as I got a scope with a 25mm tube. But they are ruger rings. Do you think it could be scope/rings problem??
    First thing you do is change the rings I had the same gun and tried 3 different scopes on it and could never get good groups or hold zero wit it so I changed rings and it made the world of difference. Look on YouTube for ruger ring lapping and ya will see the problem. I used federal fusion 150 grain once I changed the rings and found they held zero well

Ezridax wrote: »
    I bought mine in Stakelums, but have not bought them in a while nor have i been down to Sean i a couple of months.

Give him a call, and ask. He is in Thurles. Bit of a trip for you though.

Cheers, I will him a buzz sometime, I work in limerick so I'll try a guy in askeaton aswell. I didn't realise how scarce the rfd are until I had to look for something specific. Have you ever tried lapua naturalis or mega??

I wonder would it be a big job to change the barrel for one with a diff twist??

First thing you do is change the rings I had the same gun and tried 3 different scopes on it and could never get good groups or hold zero wit it so I changed rings and it made the world of difference. Look on YouTube for ruger ring lapping and ya will see the problem. I used federal fusion 150 grain once I changed the rings and found they held zero well

Cheers for that rich, I will definatly look into that.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that rich, I will definatly look into that.

It took me ages realise it was rings everyone said it couldn't be that they are machine made and don't go wrong but after searching I decided try it and it solved it so it's worth a try

Have you ever tried lapua naturalis or mega??
    Tried Lapua Naturalis in 170gr (donated to me by a mate), but on testing at 100 yards in a fairly average wind i was not impressed, and so never used in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

It's for deer stalking. I have it since march(missed the whole season because of an 11 month wait for my licence!) ive tried everything from 125grain to 150gr sst. Federal soft point, hornady soft points, even all the fmj ammo. Can't get a decent group.

So I took it to Fergal white in athlone for a new stock and glass bedding job and pillar bed the action, but he suggested that all I needed was to change to heavier ammo as the barrel is a 1/10 twist. So I went for an adjustable trigger and muzzle brake instead. Its a ruger m77 mark ii so the trigger is a joke. Can't wait to get it back and try the new ammo. Should be a lot better with the lighter trigger aswell.

What is the twist rate in your .308 btw??

i have 2 .308 at the moment. one is 1-10 and i have fired everything from 125g-168g with no problem
    it could be something as simple as the scope and rings. it might be a good idea to take them off and clean everything and refit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

180gr s/p in .308 is going to be way too slow and not expand quick enough for irish size deer ,imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

tomcat220t wrote: »
    180gr s/p in .308 is going to be way too slow and not expand quick enough for irish size deer ,imo .

:eek:

Run that by me one more time, please.

Do you mean that the Irish deer do not present enough body-mass to effectively ensure expansion?

tac

tac foley wrote: »

Do you mean that the Irish deer do not present enough body-mass to effectively ensure expansion?

tac
    No thats not what is said !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

No thats not what is said !

I read it the same was as Tac...

What did you mean?

Glensman wrote: »
    I read it the same was as Tac...

What did you mean?
    IMO,it would be a poor choice of round for irish deer !

Whys ,Whats ,Wheres ....when ever i go further in a topic lately its the same few who google stuff just to contradict what i post .
    Slow ,high weight retention round tend to be a poor combination for irish deer ,IMO!

Whys ,Whats ,Wheres ....when ever i go further in a topic lately its the same few who google stuff just to contradict what i post .
    Slow ,high weight retention round tend to be a poor combination for irish deer ,IMO!

I'm not getting at you.
    When I read your post I thought you meant that it would probably pass through a lot of deer without expending it's energy...

I can't argue with that. (although It's maybe not what you meant at all)

I find that 130gr SSTs out of my 270 go in one side and out the other. Although they do terrible damage, the fact that they are exiting means they aren't using All of their energy

Glensman wrote: »
    I'm not getting at you.
    When I read your post I thought you meant that it would probably pass through a lot of deer without expending it's energy...

I can't argue with that. (although It's maybe not what you meant at all)

I find that 130gr SSTs out of my 270 go in one side and out the other. Although they do terrible damage, the fact that they are exiting means they aren't using All of their energy
    Your bang on about SSTs ...mate used them for a while last seasion and found them to be pinning deer aswell .
    The same with the federal power-shok, was another round last year that seen poor results 140gr in 6.5x55.
    Just not dumping it energy quick enough for the small deer here in ireland .
    Now im sure guys will say different im only posting what ive seen .
    Maybe a 180 gr s/p Power shok in 300 win or 30-06 would be better .

• Advertisement

Your bang on about SSTs ...mate used them for a while last seasion and found them to be pinning deer aswell .
    The same with the federal power-shok, was another round last year that seen poor results 140gr in 6.5x55.
    Just not dumping it energy quick enough for the small deer here in ireland .
    Now im sure guys will say different im only posting what ive seen .
    Maybe a 180 gr s/p Power shok in 300 win or 30-06 would be better .

I don't think it's worth me moving from the SSTs. They are doing ferocious damage- just that they do exit...

I think maybe the .270 is just overgunned for everything but Reds.
    Maybe a 243 or 25-06 would be a better do-all calibre...

Luckily I think I have some Reds permission in Scotland for next season- so I wont be rushing out to change the .270 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I used .308 federal 180 grain rounds once to shoot sika , it was all i could buy apart from fmj as it was late in the season and dealers were out of stock, complete overkill , i only shot one sika with them and the carcase was mangled. I wouldn't use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sir - Nobody here, especially me, is contradicting you, simply trying to understand what you are aiming at. You've already seen that there are those here who agree with you about using a bigger slower bullet on Irish deer, with the implication that Irish deer, in general, are not big enough to ensure maximum expansion of such a bullet.

It's a fact that a well-placed .308Win round of the right type can drop any quadruped in Ireland, but using such a heavy round as a 180gr anything on a tiny 100-150 pound beast sure seems like a waste of time to me.

All my shooting of game has been with smaller cartridges. Back in 1990, a 140gr Norma 6.5x55SE dropped an elk for me that weighed in over a thousand pounds. It coughed once and keeled over and that was it.

I'd opine that a .25-06 or any of the faster-stepping 6mm or thereabouts with the right bullet would do the job on anything in Ireland, as shown in a recent video on 'Field Sports', where the boss of Norma AB used a smaller calibre than .308Win to great effect.

And BTW, thanks for including me in your insult 'the same few' - that remark actually makes me pretty happy. ;) Shows that I'm just as big a self-opinionated g&bsh£te as all the rest of us here.:D

tac

tac
    How was what is posted so confusing to you ,at the time ?
    And BTW, thanks for including me in your insult 'the same few' - that remark actually makes me pretty happy. ;) Shows that I'm just as big a self-opinionated g&bsh£te as all the rest of us here.:D

tac
    Your been a bit hard on yourself now ,SIR:P:P
    Im pretty sure that your replys are not googled,if that makes you feel any better ;)I regard most of what you post as common sense and educational to shooting !
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I can't be one of the few as I'm an occasional poster and don't believe I've commented on any Tomcat posts to date but I have to admit that I too was confused but am glad now that it's been cleared up.

I reckon that if the OP gets the groups he wants from his rifle with 180gr loads, then that's more inportant than getting into the finer points of bullet expansions etc. 150gr... 180gr... Irish Deer... Canadian Deer... I doubt either nationallity will get back up after being hit by either round.

Go with what works for you I say.

Its the speed of the bullet that plays a factor in how well a bullet will expand . If that slow heavy s/p is lucky enough to hit bone it would work better but if not ........IMO it stands a good chance of pinning the likes of a 25-45kg IRISH DEER !I know the reds are bigger .
    Ive seen the effects of slow s/p rounds .....i would say that the op needs to look more into his set and find a 140-160 gr (faster) round for stalking .
    I havent seen Canadian deer but if their white tail then their a lot bigger than sika . Maybe you could fill me ,please ?

Its the speed of the bullet that plays a factor in how well a bullet will expand . If that slow heavy s/p is lucky enough to hit bone it would work better but if not ........IMO it stands a good chance of pinning the likes of a 25-45kg IRISH DEER !I know the reds are bigger .
    Ive seen the effects of slow s/p rounds .....i would say that the op needs to look more into his set and find a 140-160 gr (faster) round for stalking .
    I havent seen Canadian deer but if their white tail then their a lot bigger than sika . Maybe you could fill me ,please ?

Thanks for the advice tomcat. I have looked into the setup and am in the middle of some modifications which should make a big difference.

Thanks to everyone who has posted with advice and help, I will take everything on board and hopefully I will have a tack driver very soon!!

Regards tommy!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

I always understood that the term pinning is a shot placed at the shoulder so an animal cannot run once hit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Cheers
    Remington Core Lokt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Tommy87, what kind of grouping are you achieving with varies 150gr? (maybe I over saw it)
    What kind of grouping are you hoping for?
    If you find a cartridge that does 1.5" or better, then practice with it. Sometimes a barrel
    and the shooter gets better over time when sticking to one thing. Adjust your stalking to your and the rifles ability. ....and get on with it
    I have a custom 1/10 twist 308 which shoots 150 to 190gr without a difference. 308's are normally not that fussy.

I have seen very accurate rugers but also a few lemons just like other brands.
    edi

Advertisement