Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPhone 4 apps useage in the states

• 05-07-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi,

I am going to the states in september and was wondering could i use my iphone tom tom app or google map app while over there without being charged? does it still work if my data is turned off? the reason i would want to do this is to avoid having to rent a sat nav while over there as they charge approx €10 a day for them when taking a rental.

thanks
    Co

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

coco06 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am going to the states in september and was wondering could i use my iphone tom tom app or google map app while over there without being charged? does it still work if my data is turned off? the reason i would want to do this is to avoid having to rent a sat nav while over there as they charge approx €10 a day for them when taking a rental.

thanks
    Co

How could it work if your data was turned off?
    It requires and internet connection to DL the map/location/direction info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If you are thinking of taking out the sim and using say, AT&T (the only network compatible with european iPhones) GoPhone , I have a nasty suprise for you. They will not allow iPhone data use on GoPhone (pay as you Go) - other smartphones yes but not iPhone.

I suggest checking prices of euro maps downloads for various models on sale in the states and going into BestBuy or officeMax and dropping $100-179 on a model you can use in Ireland once you have bought the European maps when you come back. €10 a day rental is stupid money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭jamesd

Yes TomTom will work with data off on your iPhone - it does not need data.

Mellor wrote: »
    Hi,

thanks
    Co

How could it work if your data was turned off?
    It requires and internet connection to DL the map/location/direction info.

TomTom will work without data.

Would his TomTom app have the US maps installed? I was under the impression it didn't. So they'd have to be downloaded.
    I was refering to google maps with uses data.

The GPS function alone doesn't require data. But A-GPS, that iPhone uses does afaik, i'm not sure how usable it is without A-GPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

thanks for all replies

ye i wasnt sure about how tom tom works, i.e gps only or needed connection to download data.

removed last bit.. (cheers)

any other suggestions as i think €10 a day for sat nav is madness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

thanks for all replies

ye i wasnt sure about how tom tom works, i.e gps only or needed connection to download data.

maybe i will have wifi in hotel and can download maps required.. i was thinking of jailbreaking phone to get the free tom tom, has anyone done the US map download on jailbroken iphone before?

Holy Moley (Blesses himself)

Careful now....last paragraph could cause you problems....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

€10 a day for a sat nav. How long are you going for? How much is the US map on the Tom Tom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I assume you are going for more than eight days? Less than €65 + tax gets you this. Don't give the rental company the satisfaction.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+n%FCvi+30+Automobile+Portable+GPS+Navigator/4151133.p?id=1218456939096&skuId=4151133

willah wrote: »
    €10 a day for a sat nav. How long are you going for? How much is the US map on the Tom Tom?

$36.99 I was looking at it recently

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    willah wrote: »

$36.99 I was looking at it recently

It's free usage then once TomTom is on your phone, it won't use data.

Advertisement