Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you domesticate a tiger?

Comments

Are you taking the piss?

Nope. Should I be?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope. Should I be?
    If it's the chap and the book I'm thinking of T his at least wasn't a wolf(college lecturer, bought pup from some bloke selling "wolf pups" from a farm?). Wolf dog(husky) hybrid more like. Far too bulky to be a wolf. Ears were wrong, muzzle too short, head wrong shape, angulation of the joints off too.
    So perhaps we are 'domesticated' too
    A theory I'd defo go along with. Lots of interesting evidence to suggest it. Might also explain why we in turn domesticated other animals while all the evidence suggests we were the first humans to do so.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

^ Curious what you are basing the above on. Was it the photographs used on the cover of the book? If so then thats not the wolf in the book as far as I know - but stock photos the publisher used. There are some pictures from the author around the net but not many of them are so clear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nope. Should I be?
    Pics or GTFO tbh.

Pics or GTFO tbh.

Just as soon as I feel I have anything to prove to you I am sure I will :) I do not however and I have no compulsion to put pictures of any of my family - of which he very much is - on the net.

The point of my post is to answer the OP that living with any animal - domesticated or otherwise - is not easy and should never be taken lightly - and given the differences between dogs and cats - and my own experiences with a wolf - I can only imagine that life with a tiger would be even more proportionally challanging than anything I have experienced from the canine world.

Anyway, screw the tiger. I would love to get a Lynx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

1ZRed wrote: »
    I prefer the toyger. All the tiger in the shape of a cat. Sorted;)

WANT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just as soon as I feel I have anything to prove to you I am sure I will :) I do not however and I have no compulsion to put pictures of any of my family - of which he very much is - on the net.

Well done on being full of shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

The point of my post is to answer the OP that living with any animal - domesticated or otherwise - is not easy and should never be taken lightly - and given the differences between dogs and cats - and my own experiences with a wolf - I can only imagine that life with a tiger would be even more proportionally challanging than anything I have experienced from the canine world.

Anyway, screw the tiger. I would love to get a Lynx.

Why are you reluctant to put pictures of your wolf up on here? Kidnap threats?

Also you can buy Lynx in most supermarkets nowadays. :cool:

Why are you reluctant to put pictures of your wolf up on here? Kidnap threats?

Also you can buy Lynx in most supermarkets nowadays. :cool:

I am not comfortable putting up pictures from my private life in any way for no reason. It just is not me. I also have nothing to prove to anyone so if someone wants to doubt my claim thats up to them.

The point of my post does not require I do so either - which is simply that Cats are a little more difficult than dogs - as someone pointed out their domestication is much more recent - and wolves are much more difficult than dogs - so my guess... and it is only a guess... is that tigers would be proportionally more difficult again.

I have never been a cat person but there is just something cool about the Lynx. It is like a house cat injected with steroids and serious attitude and they just look cool. If I were going to relent to having a wild feline in the house I would be much more inclinded towards getting a Lynx than a Tiger I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They're just big cats aren't they?

Think it'd be savage having one around the house (no pun intended). They look cuddly, are playful and come on who wouldn't want some of these relaxing at your feet while watching tele in your living room.

Do you have any idea how large a tiger can get? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4410772/Sophia-11-is-wild-about-her-pet-lynx.html

Just came across this. Not something I think I'd be into. The lion man from new zeland claimed that with lions it was be pretty easy to train and get along with but tigers are the complete opposite and a very unpredictable.

That English documentary maker ( Louis. T) made a real good one about chimps and other monkeys as pets. Not something is be into at all. Probably find it on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

smash wrote: »
    I'd love a pet panther, or a leopard, or even an ocelot.

I'd settle for an Asian Leopard Cat or a Bengal Cat though.

All extremely poor choices. As others have pointed out it is far easier to train and domesticate pack/pride animals because they are predisposed to defering to an alpha pack leader, and so long as they view you as the alpha (abiet a really strange looking alpha Lion or wolf) they will submit to you. All of the animals you describe are not pack animals and will only view another alpha as a threat.
    It's not impossible to train solitary predators, just very difficult, if you're intrested in how, Yann Martel's novel The Life of Pi has a very intresting and in depth exlaination on how it can be done. It's not a good idea though, even cats and dogs, with which we've had a domestic relationship with for thousands of years can give you a narky nip or scratch in the wrong curcumstances. It's no biggie, unless your cat has three inch claws and weighs 500lbs, in which case it's a 'nip' your unlikely to forget.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

^ Curious what you are basing the above on. Was it the photographs used on the cover of the book? If so then thats not the wolf in the book as far as I know - but stock photos the publisher used. There are some pictures from the author around the net but not many of them are so clear.
    Not so much, it was photos like this. The dog in question stands very "square" wide shouldered and chested, wolves aren't like that, they're narrower, legs tend to be more together, narrow chested. He's much bulkier overall. For wolf think lankier german shepherd with a level back and stronger hips. His face mask is very defined, rare in wolves. His head itself is much bulkier than a wolf, his ears are wider apart and not as furred. I don't doubt he has some wolf in him as this shot shows. He has the straight tail at rest. Dogs nearly always have a curl in the tail. He looks like a mid content wolfdog cross, likely with a good chunk of malamute husky.
    Why? Because he doesn't want to fire up pics of hid dog? Seems fine to me, especially if it was a wolf with all the legalities that would entail. Regardless there's also privacy and he may simply want to keep his.
    conorhal wrote: »
    All extremely poor choices. As others have pointed out it is far easier to train and domesticate pack/pride animals because they are predisposed to defering to an alpha pack leader, and so long as they view you as the alpha (abiet a really strange looking alpha Lion or wolf) they will submit to you. All of the animals you describe are not pack animals and will only view another alpha as a threat.
    I'd agree only the only issue is that the alpha leader thing has been largely discredited in wild canids. The "alphas" are basically the parents of the extended family/pack for the most part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Good thing you didn't intend a pun..

I wish I could thank this twice.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

conorhal wrote: »
    All extremely poor choices.

An Asian Leopard Cat or a Bengal Cat are domestic cats. Don't talk tripe without research!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cheetahs are the easiest big cat to tame. Although its not really a bug cat, its just the biggest of the lesser cats. People have kept pet cheethas for centuries. Even the Ancient Egyptians had pet cheetahs. The Indian kings used to use them for hunting deer. Cool video on youtube about it. If you raise them as cubs, they'll grow up to be very tame. Only problem with domesticating them (like with any other big cat) is that they don't breed too well in captivity.

There's a really good documentary where this guy raises two Cheetah cubs whose mother was killed by a lion, to adulthood and teaches them to hunt and live in the wild. Its called from flight to freedom. The Cheetahs formed a really close bond to their carers and were pretty much like large domestic cats. Unfortunately one of them got killed by a lion but the other one grew up and is presumed to still be alive in an enclosed santuary to protect him from getting attacked and killed by other cheetas or the local farmers.

Also nothing says badass as having a leopard riding shotgun in your car!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4410772/Sophia-11-is-wild-about-her-pet-lynx.html

Just came across this. Not something I think I'd be into. The lion man from new zeland claimed that with lions it was be pretty easy to train and get along with but tigers are the complete opposite and a very unpredictable.

That English documentary maker ( Louis. T) made a real good one about chimps and other monkeys as pets. Not something is be into at all. Probably find it on YouTube.

Lynx can get pretty ugly too...

But then if you're gonna have any wild cat as a pet, you'll need to know how to keep it happy and how to put up with its hissing, screeming, growling, spraying and all...

Wibbs wrote: »
    The dog in question stands very "square" wide shouldered and chested, wolves aren't like that

It is a mixed breed between two types of wolf which has some effect I am sure. When I look through pictures on google for the two breeds in question I am not seeing much difference between him and them - in terms of the attributes you listed - though. It seems a lot for you to go on from one photo - though I am not vet (are you out of curiosity?).

Certainly despite a lot of experience with dogs in the past - including with the greyish black husky people know well in Ireland - he is like no dog I have ever been around or owned. Everything from behaviour - to eye color - to his very gait as he runs (there is a fascinating difference between how dogs and wolves run) is noticably different.

What I can tell you, and you called it yourself when you came up with one of the reasons I do not really want to be posting pictures on here, is that there is a legal % dog:wolf ratio for legally owning any kind of hybrid in this country and I believe we are on the wrong side of it.
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how large a tiger can get? :eek:

Size would be another reason I would prefer a lynx. They do not seem to grow to the sizes tigers do. Still I am not a cat person so I doubt I will ever consider getting either. A bird of prey on the other hand I have long flirted with the notion of aquiring....

As I said - I have nothing to prove. If I cared what people thought about me on here I would be a long time proving half the claims I make given my post history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

That was a good show. Tigers and Lions are bad enough, but to keep a chimp as a pet you'd have to be f*cking insane, they'd literally rip the face off you given the chance, vicious animals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Except perhaps a pet Hyena

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Bastard would make sh*t of the paintwork and use your seats as scratching posts/chew toys.

Except perhaps a pet Hyena

That sounds like a lot of laughs.

It is a mixed breed between two types of wolf which has some effect I am sure.
    Not by much. There are no "breeds" of wolves as such, only sub(sub) species. Crossing a Carpathian wolf with an Alaskan would give you a mix of the two alright, but they'd still be "wolfy" looking.
    When I look through pictures on google for the two breeds in question I am not seeing much difference between him and them - in terms of the attributes you listed - though. It seems a lot for you to go on from one photo - though I am not vet (are you out of curiosity?).
    Nope, but have an interest in wolves and some experience in being face to face with the "real deal". The attributes I mention stand out as "dog". Particularly the wide chest and heavy set body. Wolves are significantly less bulky than most huskies and certainly less so than Malumutes(which I'm sure the authors dog is mostly made up of). The face mask is near pure Mal. As are his feet. Huge feet I grant you, but rounded, not huge with the much longer toes of a wolf. I'd put money down that if you showed Mal owners that pic of the author with his "wolf" they'd say "Malumute". The main difference being his straight tail at rest. I'd believe he was a low content wolf cross alright, but I'd bet the famr he's nowhere near pure wolf. This pic from the flic Dances with wolves shows the diffs. Aside, one of the very few films that used the real deal. 90% use mals and others like Czech wolfdogs(recognised breed who have recent wolf admixture in them). Note his paws. Huge, but loooong. Note his head. Very wide tapering to a point(with little stop to the forehead) and much larger in comparison to his body. The heavily furred ears, the slant to the eyes etc. Look at how apparently slightly built he is(though much stronger than most dogs). His coat colour another giveaway. No very defined mask. He also has "wild" colouring. Dogs, even huskies, can be various shades of grey and brown like that, but wolf fur displays different colours along the hair shaft itself. This is rare enough in dogs. In the flesh walking down the street you'd be unlikely to mistake him for a husky.
    Certainly despite a lot of experience with dogs in the past - including with the greyish black husky people know well in Ireland - he is like no dog I have ever been around or owned. Everything from behaviour - to eye color - to his very gait as he runs (there is a fascinating difference between how dogs and wolves run) is noticably different.
    Eye colour. If he's got blue or light silver eyes he's not a wolf. Ditto for dark brown eyes. Gait as you say is different. Wolves run more level with head down, with little lift of the paws. More sneaky looking. :D One biggy is look at his prints in wet sand. Dog prints tend to be wide like two lines in the track, wolf is almost a single track(and longer toed). They never posses dewclaws. Behaviour again like you say is gonna be different. Housebreaking? Forget about it. Game over. Incredibly food aggressive. Don't like confinement in a house. Very destructive. Zero recall. Very prey focussed. Aggressive towards other dogs. Nervy as hell, so about as much use as a chocolate teapot as a watchdog. Dig holes like a miner. Training capability minimal, unless you have endless supplies of premium steak to hand. :D Never bark. Bit of a yap at best. As it matures could get very hard to handle. They mature later too. Now many of those traits are seen in the northern breeds like Mals and other Huskies and people not used to same can get a right shock, but imagine a northern breed after hoovering up 4 grams of cocaine. And dropping high powered blotter acid. :D
    What I can tell you, and you called it yourself when you came up with one of the reasons I do not really want to be posting pictures on here, is that there is a legal % dog:wolf ratio for legally owning any kind of hybrid in this country and I believe we are on the wrong side of it.
    IIRC legally here we're more the way the UK was back in the bad old days. I don't think there's any specific laws on that score as far as percentages. You could probably even get away with the real deal if you were quiet about it and had the right enclosures. Though that brings up another issue. Where do these "wolves" come from? They're not easy to come by even in the US where they run wild. So there are few, very few if any in the breeding stock out there. There's gonna be feck all in Ireland. Precious few Czech and Saarloos Wolfdogs and even fewer mid/high content crosses, though there are a couple of UK breeders farming them out. Daft in my humble, as you've no idea what you're likely to get. This lack of wolf blood in the overall mix makes it more likely you end up with inbreeding and/or breeding for the mix, rather than temperament. Daft again in my humble. You do have the more recent Tamaskan dogs, specifically bred to look like wolves, but it came out a while back that in many of the lines both Czech/Saarloos and the real deal may have been put in the mix.

TL;DR(understandable :o) It's a minefield. The vast majority of "wolves" and "wolfdogs" are mal/husky/GSD mixes. These mixes can be hard going as they're working dogs, not "house dogs". The real deal full blood wolf would be near impossible to have in the home and could actually be lifethreatening and as rare as rocking horse shíte anyway.

^ I still think it is a lot to go on from one picture. Especially a face on one like that. While shoulders might look wide in a picture - for example - one thing I notice with him is when you actually lay your hand on him there is a difference between how wide he looks and how wide he actually is. The Fur adds a lot to the eye.

The eyes are a rather unusual Yellow. Golden Syrup comes to mind - amber I guess is the word - with a kind of sparkle deep in them that often makes you think there is something suspended inside the eye that you only catch in certain lights. Like a glass ball suspended inside a block of amber that you can only see if you look at it sideways like the Douglas Adams scene where Zaphod tries to see around the "SEP" cloaking field. I love his eyes - they are really odd and never fail to give me that weird eerie feeling that you are in the presence of some deep natural wisdom.

The gait is one of the most amazing things. The book I read alerted me to it before I even got him but did not prepare me for it. As they run their whole body wastes almost no motion in the vertical direction. Whereas you could graph the motion of a dogs shoulders and the graph would look like a series of n's his gait would be very close indeed to a near perfect straight horizontal line.

Most of the other things you list as characteristics of wolves fit right down to the eery silence of no barking, whinging or anything. More trainable than you seem to think though but it was WORK I can tell you. He has some useful tricks I have taught him though including putting on a VERY agressive posture and teeth bearing on command - something one of my gfs was very happy about once when she felt threatened one time. Agression towards other dogs however thankfully does not fit. He does not mix or socialise with them much, staying aloof and away mostly but never agressive. The ONE time he had a fight - it was started on him by three dogs of the german shepard variety which - although matched him pound for pound in size and weight - did not stand a chance. That fight was over rather quickly indeed and watching it was like watching ballet. If it was not violence we were talking about I would be tempted to describe it as beauty in motion. Picture Bruce Lee against three drunkards and the class difference in natural fighting ability will become clear. It was like he had - something like the sherlock holmes movies that recently came out - already mapped out the movements that would most efficiently end the confrontation before the first "blow" was even struck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'd love to own a tiger. But I'd be afraid he'd savage me when he got bigger. So maybe if I could get a midget tiger that I could take if we got into a scrap.
    Or maybe I could get a normal one and inject him with that shít they gave to the Olsen twins to keep them small...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Wibbs - how do you know so much stuff?!!
    You're always there with your interesting info - on nearly every topic!

Anyway, I loves all cats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Seems possible

“Al-Materi has a large tiger (“Pasha”) on his compound, living in a cage”, Ambassador Godec wrote, “He acquired it when it was a few weeks old. The tiger consumes four chickens a day.” The whole situation, the American diplomat stated, reminded him of Saddam Hussein´s son Uday who owned lions he kept in a private zoo in Baghdad

You might have to become a dictator (or have a close relative who is one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

saw a documentary about a guy with a tiger on discovery channel or one of them stations a couple yars ago..

there was a guy in the hood in america someplace,it was possibly harlem or some part of brooklyn/new york. he was keeping a tiger in the projects, he was up on the fifth or sixth floor of an appartment building with the tiger living in there with him,he got it as a cub from some place,he had it for 3 or 4 years in the apartment, he never took it out,the thing was often locked in there for hours at a time, neighbours would hear it roaring and would not know what was goin on..

eventually it attacked the guy one day,,it was probably just rough play,not a full out attack or im sure the guy wouldnt have got out of his apartment alive..he left it locked in his apartment and managed to crawl to a neighbour and say he had been attacked.he ended up in serious condition in hospital. after a couple days he had to tell the doctors that it was a tiger attack and that it was locked in his apartment.. animal control and police and other various authorities had to go and try get this tiger out of the apartment,it was crazy,theres footage of it around,mayb on youtube. google it. you can see the tiger at the window roaring and freaking out while they try to tranq him, and theres crack heads and hood kids playing down below lol..

Don't you want a tiger now... don't you... look at it... dawwwww!!!!

^ I still think it is a lot to go on from one picture. Especially a face on one like that. While shoulders might look wide in a picture - for example - one thing I notice with him is when you actually lay your hand on him there is a difference between how wide he looks and how wide he actually is. The Fur adds a lot to the eye.
    Oh yea true. I mean in that pic with the author his whole body shape is "wrong". Built more like a prizefighter than a long distance runner. The legs go straight down from the shoulders. Kinda like I I whereas the wolf would be more knock kneed if you know what I mean?

The gait is one of the most amazing things. The book I read alerted me to it before I even got him but did not prepare me for it. As they run their whole body wastes almost no motion in the vertical direction. Whereas you could graph the motion of a dogs shoulders and the graph would look like a series of n's his gait would be very close indeed to a near perfect straight horizontal line.
    Good description :)
    Most of the other things you list as characteristics of wolves fit right down to the eery silence of no barking, whinging or anything.
    Well they don't bark, but are very vocal in other ways compared to dogs. All sorts of odd whines and whinys. Oh and the howling... they can even meow like a cat.
    More trainable than you seem to think though but it was WORK I can tell you. He has some useful tricks I have taught him though including putting on a VERY agressive posture and teeth bearing on command - something one of my gfs was very happy about once when she felt threatened one time.
    If you could repeat that with a confirmed wolf you got a job in the movie biz. :D
    The ONE time he had a fight - it was started on him by three dogs of the german shepard variety which - although matched him pound for pound in size and weight - did not stand a chance. That fight was over rather quickly indeed and watching it was like watching ballet. If it was not violence we were talking about I would be tempted to describe it as beauty in motion. Picture Bruce Lee against three drunkards and the class difference in natural fighting ability will become clear. It was like he had - something like the sherlock holmes movies that recently came out - already mapped out the movements that would most efficiently end the confrontation before the first "blow" was even struck.
    Wolves fight differently to dogs. They're more "judo" experts. Use their bodyweight and holds as well as teeth. Very few dogs one on one could take one. A wild wolf would tear a mastiff to pieces. Most "wolfhounds" were bred to take on a single wolf as part of a pack, even then they would often lose members of the pack. The Irish wolfhound is one of the very few designed to take one on mano e mano singlehandedly and look at the size of them. :eek: :D

I don't doubt you may have a wolfdog cross T, but I'd have serious doubts you have a high content. It's possible mind you, but I'd be surprised.

• Advertisement

Lynx can get pretty ugly too...

But then if you're gonna have any wild cat as a pet, you'll need to know how to keep it happy and how to put up with its hissing, screeming, growling, spraying and all...

Holy crap! That's some strange noises.. Think I'd give that a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I watched a doc on Siberian Tigers recently. Gorgeous animals, majestically beautiful. With them becoming an endangered species its vital that as many as possible can be kept in captivity for breeding purposes.

For them to be available to keep as pets though is not desirable at all. Your talking about an animal that when fully grown can weigh up to 55st (male) and be 10ft in length.

Sure you can domesticate it to a point, but all it takes is one errant paw for 'playtime' to end badly, very badly.

I watched a doc on Siberian Tigers recently. Gorgeous animals, majestically beautiful. With them becoming an endangered species its vital that as many as possible can be kept in captivity for breeding purposes.

For them to be available to keep as pets though is not desirable at all. Your talking about an animal that when fully grown can weigh up to 55st (male) and be 10ft in length.

Sure you can domesticate it to a point, but all it takes is one errant paw for 'playtime' to end badly, very badly.

Dunno how common it is with tigers but many people who own wild cats such as Lynx, Bobcat, Puma etc. often have then declawed which is a pretty cruel thing to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dunno how common it is with tigers but many people who own wild cats such as Lynx, Bobcat, Puma etc. often have then declawed which is a pretty cruel thing to do...

I've heard that allright, sounds like a horrid practice. With a big cat like a Siberian though declawing would have no effect in the event of an attack, once it overpowers the person it will go straight for the neck with its jaws.

Aquila wrote: »
    For anyone interested here is the documentary on the Russian scientist who domesticated foxes

Cheers for that, interesting!

I've heard that allright, sounds like a horrid practice. With a big cat like a Siberian though declawing would have no effect in the event of an attack, once it overpowers the person it will go straight for the neck with its jaws.

You will have to really piss off a tiger to attack you for the kill through. Most people get injured during rough play. Especially when the tiger hasn't learnt as a cub that its 3 inch claws and hugh teeth can do some serious damage so it needs to be gentle with the rather fragile humans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Very interesting thread and some cracking contributions.....but....I can't help but wonder...if you COULD domesticate a tiger (or tame)....

(wait for it)

Where would you get a litter tray big enough?

:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Won't the tiger be a little upset with being declawed , and cats really don't hold grudges do they ? even when they focus on you and give you that dirty look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger
    Though rarely observed, some tigers have been recorded to kill prey by swiping with their paws, which are powerful enough to smash the skulls of domestic cattle, and break the backs of sloth bears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A Russian researcher was able to domesticate arctic foxes but it took decades.

It's possible to domesticate this, keep your lions, tigers, cats and wolves.

Anyway, I'm just going outside and I maybe some time!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

K-9 wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm just going outside and I maybe some time!

Wrong pole, but points for the nerdy reference :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Don't know if it was mentioned already but there was a documentary on Channel 4 called The Cat Dancers. It's about 3 people who kept tigers for years and they were tame but eventually one of the tigers killed one of the people out of the blue and it happened to another one of them a few weeks later. I think both times the tigers jumped at their neck and killed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not a hope, could barely domesticate a domesticated cat or dog! :/

Well they don't bark, but are very vocal in other ways compared to dogs.

He would be eerily quiet in most scenarios. It would take some unexpected distress, or something that gets him quite excited to get him making much noise. It is like he has a vow of silence or something. Coupled with those "ancient wisdom" eyes I mentioned he certainly carries a certain - presence about him.

I can get him howling though - which is really moving when it happens. Primal almost. But I can not do it with any noticable regularity or pattern. He either will or he will not and more often than not when I try I end up looking silly while he stares at me wondering if I know how silly I look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tax and wibbs this has been the most interesting AH thread in my boards time. And wibbs how the hell do you know so much about everything!?

From my own pov and tax this isn't a dig I hear so many people say "oh I've got a wolf" and it's a husky.

From my own experience getting raised alongside gsd's and then having my own I would say a lion would be easiest. Pack animal however a junior will inevitably challenge the alpha, an alpha lion will slap down a beta or will survive if it's cast out. A serious challenge from a lion to a human will end in death for the human

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Doesn't mike Tyson have a domesticated tiger

Well, he certainly had a tiger, but just how domesticated it was is open to question.:D

Same goes for Mike, actually. We don't know if his tiger ever bit anyone, but he certainly did.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://autographsonline.com.au/images/uploaded/bo130.jpg

From my own pov and tax this isn't a dig I hear so many people say "oh I've got a wolf" and it's a husky.
    Yea this is a big part of it. TBH I'm glad it's the case and that we don't have people with high content wolfdogs, or wolves kept as "pets". It would be a tragedy waiting to happen and a tragedy for the animal itself. Actually I'd worry more about a wolfdog hybrid than a wolf. We selected for aggression and guarding and bravery and stability around people over tens of thousands of years, traits normally lacking in wolves. Wolves tend to be excessively shy, highly variable and reactive and only aggressive if cornered, with a yellow streak all the way to the bone. A wolf would never guard you or your property. At the first hint of danger it would think "you're on your own monkey boy/eh why aren't you running away too?". It's one of the reasons why wolf attacks on humans are very rare. You would think there would have been more given humans are a pretty easy target. Mixing the traits of a wolf with the traits of a dog would be like a grenade with the pin out. Many of the famous European wolf attacks are now thought to have been wolf dog hybrids(the beast of somewhere or other in France in the 1700's a good example. Name escapes I'm afraid). Expert breeding programmes like with the Czech and Saarloos Wolfdog and Lupo italiano took serious effort and time and experience to get a breed that was stable(though still a handful). Some gimp in a shed mixing wolf with husky or GSD doesn't really compare and is usually in it for the money, or has some hippie notion of the call of the wild going on.
    From my own experience getting raised alongside gsd's and then having my own I would say a lion would be easiest. Pack animal however a junior will inevitably challenge the alpha, an alpha lion will slap down a beta or will survive if it's cast out. A serious challenge from a lion to a human will end in death for the human
    Yea and lions will kill family members IIRC. I read that males will kill all the offspring of a previous male if given half a chance. Well dodgy. We lucked out with the wolf and they with us. After all their wild cousins are threatened in a few of their habitats, yet their domestic cousins are one of the most common large mammals on the planet. And they likely helped us to out compete all other previous humans that were around. Result. :)
    Tax and wibbs this has been the most interesting AH thread in my boards time. And wibbs how the hell do you know so much about everything!?
    :o tnx. I dunno, I have one of those memories that doesn't really forget and have always been interested in lots of "stuff", usually unrelated(though politics and sport with a few exceptions leaves me cold), so mix that together...

Me too. I was quite careful with my process though. As I imported him and was not there to do the works and checks myself I had people do a lot of it for me. Again without giving out too much information for reasons already covered: Professional Vets were sourced through channels I trust and approached the breeders in question on my behalf and I had them ensure legitimacy to the best of their abilities - health check the animal before I purchased it for me - and oversee the shipping process to me - which for other similar reasons occured to the UK not Ireland - where I met the shipment and brought it myself to Ireland.

It was quite a complex process and despite my relatively limited knowledge on the subject to some - though clearly higher than the lay man - I am happy to put some faith in the people involved and that I got what I paid for and was after. What ever he is at the end of the day though I can certainly say he ain't no Husky :)

Not sure what one would need to go through to source - buy - and import a tiger though. That would be an interesting story to hear over a few pints.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not sure what one would need to go through to source - buy - and import a tiger though. That would be an interesting story to hear over a few pints.

Man just head to Vegas you can get anything there!
    Or open a wildlife park :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement