Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you domesticate a tiger?

13»

Comments

Think Stephen Kings "The Stand" has left me with an off impression of Vegas. Never felt the draw to go there :)

I would say you can get - and catch - just about anything there. And probably would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Interesting enough about wild animal ownership in the USA

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Think Stephen Kings "The Stand" has left me with an off impression of Vegas. Never felt the draw to go there :)

I would say you can get - and catch - just about anything there. And probably would.

Slightly OT, but my only experience with a "wild" :D animal attack when I was a child.

Myself, cousin and uncle were climbing Bray head (22 years or so ago). Walking through a field on the way back down and a bull comes charging towards us, we scrambled up a tree and sat there for a while with the bull snarling a few feet below.

It was getting dark so my uncle jumped down and made a run for the gate, my cousin and i jumped down and made a run for the wall.

A nerve wracking experience. My soon to be FIL is a farmer and he's had a few run ins with his animals mostly horses, he cracked 6 rubs and punctured a lung after a horse kicked him but in saying that i've also seen him wrestle a bull :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

which for other similar reasons occured to the UK not Ireland
    One slight problem with that T, the UK dept for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs(DEFRA) laws require an import and wildlife licence for a wolf including F1/F2 hybrids and up until 2010 even F3 hybrids and actual breeds such as Saarloos/Czech wolfdogs were also banned from import without a licence(you also require this licence to move them through in transit). It's only since the start of this year that the process is simplified for F3 and further away dogs. You still require a licence for wolves and F1/F2 hybrids. A licence that is understandably not easy to get. The UK had all sorts of shenanigans with people keeping wild animals as pets and having private menageries in the 60's and 70's(and before). The famous Harrods lion a good example. You could walk into Harrods pet dept and buy a lion cub. Mad. At one stage tiger cubs were on open sale. Panthers were a big draw. Even higher primates were doing the rounds. Many if not most were kept in the wrong environments and accidents happened. One theory holds that the reports of big cats like the Beast of Bodmin and such are or were released pets from that period before the wildlife act of 76 changed the rules and clamped down. MIght be something in it as the sightings seemed to peak in the late 70's early 80's and trailed off since. A couple of vicious winters would likely see them off.

It's one reason why a couple of the UK "breeders" of such wolf dogs decamped to Ireland in the past. It's significantly less controlled and policed here. The joke is you could walk down the street with an unmuzzled F2 hybrid(so long as it was crossed with a non restricted breed), but could get a fine for walking an unmuzzled German Shepherd(more theoretically as it's rarely enforced). If I decided in he morning after a skinful of booze and doob to get a wolf or very high content hybrid it would be significantly easier in law and regulations to bring it direct to Ireland rather than through the UK.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes someone in my extended family - extended enough that I never knew him well - was crushed to death by his own cows. One needs a lot of respect when working with any animal and even the most boring and docile can become lethal in the blink of an eye. That recent story of the Zoo Warden who - despite having worked with the for years - was killed by her wolves certainly was moving to me for obvious reasons.

Again Wibbs the details have to stay vauge unless I am chatting to you over drinks sometime but due to the contacts I was working through - and the contacts they themselves had in the UK - it was decided that shipment via the UK was the best option for me at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement