Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor driver/trouble

Options
  • 06-07-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks
    Having a bit of bother with my monitor
    It keeps going off at random times, and has been off for most of the day today, it just came back on now. I had the same problem a few weeks ago but it was fine since.

When the screen is blank, if I press the power on and off button on the monitor I can see the desktop for a split second but then it goes dark again.

I got a new pc custom built a few months ago so I'm not too sure if its to do with the driver that windows installed for the monitor.
    My monitor is an old LG l1915s.

Looking at the device manager it says Microsoft just installed a Generic PNP Monitor driver.
    I have the original monitor driver disk but that didn't work out for me
    Maybe its just the monitor on its last legs however since it works sporadically maybe there is a driver problem?
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Drivers for monitors generally do f@ck all, its the display driver that matters.

Try the monitor with a laptop/other desktop for a while to see which end the problems on.

What you want to look into is the graphics card and its drivers. They're the actual workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd also check that the cable is secure or try a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thanks fellas.
    I never thought of the graphics, I just uninstalled the graphics driver, it automatically installed a new one when I restarted the pc so well see if that makes a difference.
    If the screen goes off again Il try the other suggestions.

The pc went into stand by today for around an hour or 2 and the screen remained blank after I tried to wake it up, I noticed this last week too, the display trouble seems to be triggered when the PC goes into stand by. Im not sure why is that?
    The cables are secure aswell, I dont think I have any spare cables for it but Il take a look.

Could be that it forgets which input you are using when it sleeps. Have a look at the monitor setting (on the monitor itself) to see if you can force the particular input that you're using as opposed to auto-detect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Desktop going into standby! Blasphemy! Thats when you should be downloading torrents or looking for Aliens... or a cure for cancer.

Monotype wrote: »
    Could be that it forgets which input you are using when it sleeps. Have a look at the monitor setting (on the monitor itself) to see if you can force the particular input that you're using as opposed to auto-detect.

Not really sure what option I should be looking for, there doesn't seem to be many options.
    There is one button that says Select/Auto ,When I press it it says Processing Auto adjustment, but that seems to be all that happens.

There is one option to factory reset, that might be worth a try.

Just did a windows update and it said to update the graphics driver and halfway through it I got a blue screen, ouch, hate those things! Did a system restore to get back to normal. Technology really hates me!

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 6153

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: d1
    BCP1: FFFFFA702CBA6708
    BCP2: 0000000000000002
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: FFFFF8800461F182
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

O.o Best not to get graphics drivers from Windows as they regularly don't have the latest. Were you using the Intel integrated graphics?
    Don't know if this direct link will work:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21430&ProdId=3319&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=%0ADrivers%0A

If not, you can get it here.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?lang=eng
    Graphics -> Processor graphics -> 2nd generation HD3000
    I think it was a 2500K that you got?

If you have an NVidia card or AMD, get the drivers from their sites.

A factory reset on the monitor would be worth a try.

Thanks Monotype.
    Once the screen comes back on Il have a look at those. It was the ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX board that I got so whatever graphics came with that.

I am currently using a laptop, I tried the monitor with this laptop and the same problem occurs.
    A Blank screen, that flashes once when you try to turn it on and off, so this means its not the graphics card on the pc thats the problem, and it looks to be a problem with the monitor itself. I tried factory reset but to no avail.
    Kind of glad its a problem with the monitor and not the pc to be honest, maybe I would be aswell just buying a new monitor, I dont see how I Could fix this problem.

• Advertisement

It's probably on its way out then.

For future reference, graphics are now integrated into the CPU chip rather than the motherboard.

Monotype wrote: »
    It's probably on its way out then.

For future reference, graphics are now integrated into the CPU chip rather than the motherboard.

Thanks for your help Monotype.
    I'l probably go for the Dell U2412M, I have been delaying getting it for a while now this will give me the push I need.

By the way, I noticed my internal card reader isn't reading my sd card anymore (I wasn't joking when I said technology really hates me :o) Would you have any idea what would cause that? Tried various cards but nothing showing up on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Has it suddenly just stopped working or did you do something with the device drivers? Go into device manager and make sure its showing up and it does not have a yellow warning icon beside it. It could be also foreign debris/dust in the slot. Try using a can of compressed air or something to clean the slot

It just stopped working ,mind you I haven't used it in about a month, so maybe its like this since I reformatted the pc a few weeks ago. What drivers are required for it and under what heading would it be under in device manager?
    Usually I can see all the internal storage things under my computer, i think there used to be 7 of them, they only show up when I have show hidden folders selected, which I have but they are not showing up.

Heres a screenshot of device manager.
    Note the usb controller one under other device always has a yellow light on it, as I mentioned before one of the front usbs wasnt working since day 1 so thats probably the yellow mark there.
    There is unknown device showing up under the other usb controller heading though, that might be it.
    http://imgur.com/9p3d2

I must take a look inside the pc to make sure the connector isn't loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yeah, something is up all right.
    I'd recommend right-clicking on all the items with yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and click UnInstall.
    Then right-click on the main root icon, usually your username, and click Scan For Hardware changes.
    That may sort out any driver conflicts that might be happening.

Also worth a try is right-clicking on all the individual items in device manager and click Update Driver Software, especially the Generic PNP Monitor one as that might help with your problem.

Moon54 wrote: »
    Yeah, something is up all right.
    I'd recommend right-clicking on all the items with yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and click UnInstall.
    Then right-click on the main root icon, usually your username, and click Scan For Hardware changes.
    That may sort out any driver conflicts that might be happening.

Also worth a try is right-clicking on all the individual items in device manager and click Update Driver Software, especially the Generic PNP Monitor one as that might help with your problem.

Thanks, just tried that but to no avail

Did you install all the device drivers that were supplied with your motherboard/sd card reader?

what ASrock motherboard do you have btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Have you tried manually selecting the monitors input feed? VGA/DVI if your monitor supports both, run both cables from the gfx card to the monitor, and which ever one it defaults to you should still have a visual feed.

or you can just tell your computers power saver to never hibernate, but always screensave, and then just power off the computer at nights or when your away from it.

N64 wrote: »
    Did you install all the device drivers that were supplied with your motherboard/sd card reader?

what ASrock motherboard do you have btw?

This is the motherboard I have http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3&o=Win764

I had the PC custom built, so I don't know what came with the card reader.
    The usb that comes with the card reader is working fine though.

Vince32 wrote: »
    Have you tried manually selecting the monitors input feed? VGA/DVI if your monitor supports both, run both cables from the gfx card to the monitor, and which ever one it defaults to you should still have a visual feed.

or you can just tell your computers power saver to never hibernate, but always screensave, and then just power off the computer at nights or when your away from it.

This monitor has just vga,
    I have disabled hibernate.

Pangea wrote: »
    This is the motherboard I have http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3&o=Win764

I had the PC custom built, so I don't know what came with the card reader.
    The usb that comes with the card reader is working fine though.

This monitor has just vga,
    I have disabled hibernate.

It seems you are missing the USB 3.0 Driver (from looking at the device manager screenshot) Download it from here assuming you have a 64 bit OS although this probably won't fix the issue you are experiencing with the SD card reader. Since it was working previously, I would double check the cables to make sure that nothing became loose/disconnected

• Advertisement
Advertisement