Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning cutting from my trees

• 06-07-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Hi guys how all is good with everyone.

I was just wondering I have cut my trees and removed a couple of very small bushes from my gate.

Now my grass is stacked 3 or 4 foot high and I've seen a few rats around.

Can I burn these clipping bearing in mind they are just trimming since my last cut a couple of months ago. They are dry enough to burn them selves.

I Looked at posts here and althought they are very informative I'm a little in clear can anyone set me straight please.

Also I hear this is policed by people in a helicopter. True or false

Thanks lads and lady's.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Just don't burn plastic or tyres to get it started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

this was discussed recently if you do a search.

I havent found an official answer to this online on this but as I understand it cut bushes are viewed the same a live ones and cant be burnt during the closed hedgecutting period which ends on the 31st of august

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

JohnBoy wrote: »
    this was discussed recently if you do a search.

I havent found an official answer to this online on this but as I understand it cut bushes are viewed the same a live ones and cant be burnt during the closed hedgecutting period which ends on the 31st of august

Ye I seen a couple of post alright but didnt quite understand them.
    If they are cut but left so there not green anymore does this make any difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭REBEL COUNTY1

Its the EPA that police it (Environmental Protection Agency). Have heard about the helicopters but to be honest cant see them doing it these days just flying around looking for fires!! The cost of running a helicopter cant justify it surely.

The legislation is here http://www.epa.ie/downloads/advice/waste/waste/Burning%20of%20Waste%20Regs.pdf

Section 5 seems to suggest you can burn hedge trimmings from agricultural land as long as theres no other means to dispose of it suitable... ie shredding! Seems a bit vague and could be argued by them. By this legislation you also have to inform your local coucil that you are going to burn.

I would ring the local fire service and inform them that your lighting a fire incase of a call out that youll be charged for. My advice ring the fire control and burn away on a Sunday!!!

No harm ringing the EPA (1890 335 599) and asking what the rules are just to find out... Maybe just dont give them your address :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

My advice ring the fire control and burn away on a Sunday!!!

Ring them on their actual number though, and not by dialing 999.

• Advertisement

Ya should have explained that alright. Number is 061-316166.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

sdeire wrote: »
    sdeire wrote: »
    dont think you need to inform the fire service yourself.
    i asked my co co earlier in the year and when you fill in the form ,( basically its to say theres no other feasible way of disposing of the bushes, name and address and when you plan to burn) they will inform the fire brigade and if the fire brigade get a call for your area and will contact you and you shouldnt get a bill in the post. that was my understanding.
    as far as i could gather any bushes etc , living or dead , provide cover for wildlife (vermin :mad:) and cant be burnt during the closed season .
    like most most other things it seems vague . i have stuff cut and they had to lie there all year , could hardly heap with the tractor in wet ground in winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

cjmc wrote: »
    as far as i could gather any bushes etc , living or dead , provide cover for wildlife (vermin :mad:)

Petty legislation like this wouldn't be needed if we as a people were a bit more educated and grown-up about our environment and the creatures we share it with - it is amazing that some Irish people still equate wildlife with vermin.

LostCovey

I was just wondering I have cut my trees and removed a couple of very small bushes from my gate.

Can I burn these clipping bearing in mind they are just trimming since my last cut a couple of months ago. They are dry enough to burn them selves.

QUOTE]

i meant specificly rats as vermin , maybe i should have said ''wildlife (and rats:mad:) ''
    trust me , we dont do knowingly do anything to endanger any wildlife around here but rats to me are vermin .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

LostCovey wrote: »
    Petty legislation like this wouldn't be needed if we as a people were a bit more educated and grown-up about our environment and the creatures we share it with - it is amazing that some Irish people still equate wildlife with vermin.

LostCovey

bullsh*t, its called having a seriously heavy civil service just looking to create laws so that other unemployable sods can police.

• Advertisement

LostCovey

Only good rat is a dead one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Burn away, if you don't burn chemistry is similar just a much slower reaction...
    Fire is as much a part of nature as growth...

I Looked at posts here and althought they are very informative I'm a little in clear can anyone set me straight please.

Also I hear this is policed by people in a helicopter. True or false

Thanks lads and lady's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

ford2600 wrote: »
    Burn away, if you don't burn chemistry is similar just a much slower reaction...

I'm not sure this view is shared with the EPA though.

Cant wait for your test case in court and you start arguing the above point with some buffoons, reckon you will set a precedent :D:D

cjmc wrote: »
    i meant specificly rats as vermin , maybe i should have said ''wildlife (and rats:mad:) ''
    trust me , we dont do knowingly do anything to endanger any wildlife around here but rats to me are vermin .

Fair enough, I may have been unfair to you. Apologies if so.

LC

bullsh*t, its called having a seriously heavy civil service just looking to create laws so that other unemployable sods can police.

Ah yes, th'oul Civil Service is the whole cause of th'Envirinmint. There was none of that wildlife in my day.

Only good rat is a dead one

I will make an exception for rats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

It wouldn't be needed if other's acted responsibly.

The actions of the few mean we all have to deal with these rules because of those decide they know best and they do what they like.

There is nothing more childish in an argument when someone starts/finishes "Them up in Dublin".

As Farmers we want our industry to be recognised and on the same playing field as others yet don't want to play by the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Well thats just not true at all ;)

Suckler wrote: »
    It wouldn't be needed if other's acted responsibly.

The actions of the few mean we all have to deal with these rules because of those decide they know best and they do what they like.

There is nothing more childish in an argument when someone starts/finishes "Them up in Dublin".

As Farmers we want our industry to be recognised and on the same playing field as others yet don't want to play by the rules?

so farmers are acting in an irresponsible manner are they, When you have local authorities trying to bring prosecutions against farms for bullish*t paper work issues while themselves are polluting left right and centre them one has to wonder. Any think why there were so many boil notices in operation during the heavy rainfall in many areas, mainly due to local councils making a balls of water treatment and just dumping raw sewage in to local rivers. Those in glass houses are usually the first to throw stones. Have you even any knowledge of the Directives that we as farmers are operating under????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A number ( probably around ten) years ago I had reason to be on a large farmers premises during an incident. The county council (a midland county) Environomental Officer was also present.
    Two statements he made alarmed me hugely. He wanted to know was the "Stuff" under the black plastic (A pit of silage) farm waste:eek: and when I pointed out the run off pipe to a slatted shed he couldn't fathom that there was a tank under the shed:eek:.
    I'm sure this type of EO is the exception rather than the rule but by jaysus I can't look at them in the same light since.
    I deal with lots of farmers for my job and coming from a farming background myself, knowing how things work and common sense goes a long way. I know the last thing anyone wants to be dealing with is a bull****ter who knows half of what they should know.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

so farmers are acting in an irresponsible manner are they,

Some are. I don’t think that point is irrefutable. Some are/have been hence rules are brought in. Some weren’t acting in the best interests of the environment so the majority suffer.
    You seem to think I am saying YOU are; re-read my posts; some are and that’s why we’ve all got to now jump through hoops.
    When you have local authorities trying to bring prosecutions against farms for bullish*t paper work issues

What’s the point in having rules if they aren’t going to enforce them? On another thread you stated to Gardai should “put the fear of God” in those who break the law for social misconduct Paul O’Connell style yet other laws should be ignored and we all do what we want when we want, two fingers to those who abide by the rules.
    This endemic in Ireland due to the aul wink and a nod culture we have; people wonder why we have so many tribunals. We are out with pitchforks when a politician is caught doing something underhand, but what we do in/outside the law is our own business?
    “Ah sure you say nothing, I’ll say nothing and we’ll both make the fast buck”
    while themselves are polluting left right and centre them one has to wonder.

Left right and centre is an exaggeration and is childish to state.
    Any think why there were so many boil notices in operation during the heavy rainfall in many areas, mainly due to local councils making a balls of water treatment and just dumping raw sewage in to local rivers.

There a many contributory factors; ”Making a balls of the treatment” is bar stool politics.
    Water works infrastructure upgrades do not match the housing boom upgrades. I know my local authority water treatment works was not upgraded since it was built in the late 80’s. It is over capacity at present. I know of others and witnessed the flooding; how was this resolved; rules were flouted; paperwork ignored; problem put on the long finger.
    Had tighter regulations been in place infrastructure should have matched housing availability. Plugging in thousands of houses to existing facilities has been a complex and poorly thought process.
    Another rule that was being flaunted was the occupancy of new dwellings given to local authorities with regard to septic tanks. More people inevitably leads to more waste being pumped out.
    Those in glass houses are usually the first to throw stones.

Your point?
    Have you even any knowledge of the Directives that we as farmers are operating under????

If you are going to be condescending about it - Re-read my posts above.
    I am well aware. I never said I enjoyed it. I have the father going back in to the department to re-submit documents they have lost twice now.
    I also have a lot more knowledge and experience of red tape and documentation in a number of industries worldwide. Farmers aren’t the only ones who have to fill out forms, conform to directives, and go through red tape.
    Modernisation comes with these processes.
    Whenever the prospect of Brazilian beef is raised, traceability and accountability are the nearly the first shot across the bow for keeping them out of here; how did we achieve this modern documented practices.
    I doubt anybody refers to the SFP/REPS/AEOS or area aid payment forms as for bullish*t paper work. Different when there’s money in your pocket from it.

Fair enough, I may have been unfair to you. Apologies if so.

LC
    no worries , misinterpertation (if its even a word ?) can be the divil of a good discussion ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Suckler wrote: »

There a many contributory factors; ”Making a balls of the treatment” is bar stool politics.
    Water works infrastructure upgrades do not match the housing boom upgrades. I know my local authority water treatment works was not upgraded since it was built in the late 80’s. It is over capacity at present. I know of others and witnessed the flooding; how was this resolved; rules were flouted; paperwork ignored; problem put on the long finger.
    Had tighter regulations been in place infrastructure should have matched housing availability. Plugging in thousands of houses to existing facilities has been a complex and poorly thought process.
    Another rule that was being flaunted was the occupancy of new dwellings given to local authorities with regard to septic tanks. More people inevitably leads to more waste being pumped out.

I have to take issue with you here suckler. It was the CC's that gave planning premission for all these housing developments that caused problems. Surly they knew that the Sewerage/Water drainage was not up to standards so why give planning was it because of the development fee's that the council charged. But if someone applied for a single house in the country they have to jump through hoops or even want to put on a extension. Not too long ago a relation wanted to extend there house it was a small single story farmhouse, planner was upset as 20 years ago the windows wrere change from rotten wood to PVC/Aluminium ( I am not sure which). Nearly wanted her to reinstate them.

Not too far from me in a small village the council gave planning for a housing development. My understanding is that the houses were to come out into a roundabout on the main road howeve at the start they were allowed onto a by road and accessed the main road by it cross. Now the development was not finished and lights had to be installed to accomodate traffic while the exit from the roundabout is closed. This is called joined up thinking. Recently I went in to tax my replacment van I had to go through the whole rigamarole of tax letters, garda declareations etc even though I supplied them 18 months ago already. 6 euro's to change to printed and register a DOE certificate, need we go on.

I have to take issue with you here suckler. It was the CC's that gave planning premission for all these housing developments that caused problems. Surly they knew that the Sewerage/Water drainage was not up to standards so why give planning was it because of the development fee's that the council charged.

I don't doubt a word of this; my post was not to give some sort of special exemption to the CoCo's; but to highlight what happens when we flout laws & regulations. The problem is caused by bad decisions and not following best practice. Why did they do it that way? Poor regulation. “Making a balls” of it suggests someone just didn’t bother turning off a valve and a river was polluted.
    But if someone applied for a single house in the country they have to jump through hoops or even want to put on a extension. Not too long ago a relation wanted to extend there house it was a small single story farmhouse, planner was upset as 20 years ago the windows wrere change from rotten wood to PVC/Aluminium ( I am not sure which). Nearly wanted her to reinstate them.

Leaving groups to decide they know what they’re doing and they know best is detrimental.
    With regard to planning permissions; I've been through that myself many times personally and professionally.
    One that sticks out is a house that was built with six bedrooms on land that couldn't take the output of waste. They were rejected first time around, had a word and a brown envelope with the local politician who in turn had a word with the planner. Numbers of occupants were adjusted; bedrooms were changed to "Study" and "Laundry Room". Permission granted. Fast forward 5 years; the garden is a quagmire and the tank needs constant watching and attention.
    Not too far from me in a small village the council gave planning for a housing development. My understanding is that the houses were to come out into a roundabout on the main road howeve at the start they were allowed onto a by road and accessed the main road by it cross. Now the development was not finished and lights had to be installed to accomodate traffic while the exit from the roundabout is closed. This is called joined up thinking.

As above; poor regulation allowed this. Why it was not remedied? Probably neither developer nor council have the funds to correct it, fees charged and developer obligations were neither enforced nor adequate to cover this.
    Recently I went in to tax my replacment van I had to go through the whole rigamarole of tax letters, garda declareations etc even though I supplied them 18 months ago already. 6 euro's to change to printed and register a DOE certificate, need we go on.

As I said earlier; I have documents and maps sent to the department 3 times now for area aid payment. They’ve lost the last ones.
    I work overseas so trying to ensure I’ve the paperwork done while Im back there is never fun. I don’t enjoy it but it’s a necessary process. We are by no means a big operation either.

If, in my other professional life, I am to give a contract to a company I generally get a number of tender offers in. What stands out and is evaluated is the governance/regulation/check& balance structure of each company. Low scorers are trouble and will lead to disputes and half arsed jobs. They get binned straight away.

Irish agricultural exports of beef/lamb/pork/dairy were approximately €5 billion with live exports adding €200 million roughly. Why would we want to jeopardise this?

I know in many markets Irish beef is losing against New Zealand/US/Australian/ South American produce – why? Cost. If we aren’t the cheapest then we’ve got to sell ourselves on quality and regulation of that is the back bone of it.

Banks and fuel producers fought tooth and nail to get markets and procedures de-regulated. Look where we all end up after that merry-go-round. Think of the situation we’d be in if everyone just said fook the rules I’ll do as I please.

Advertisement