Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portuguese laurel

Options
  • 06-07-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have noticed some of my newly planted(planted in March) Portuguese laurel's leaves are turning brown. Its on part of the leaves. Any idea what would be up with them?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

possibly too little water or too much, photos would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi,

I have noticed some of my newly planted(planted in March) Portuguese laurel's leaves are turning brown. Its on part of the leaves. Any idea what would be up with them?

Cheers

Afraid doesn't sound good. PL are a very nice plant to make a beautiful hedge. Sounds like the affected plants are in an advance stage of dying. Various possible causes. Did you plant rootballed stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Afraid doesn't sound good. PL are a very nice plant to make a beautiful hedge. Sounds like the affected plants are in an advance stage of dying. Various possible causes. Did you plant rootballed stock?

Cheers for the comments. I have attached two pictures.
    Don't say they are on the way out. I planted about 150 of those. I bought them potted. They all seem to have taken well with the exception of one or two.
    Its just parts of them have brown/red leaves on them. I was thinking maybe the weather with all the rain. I am going to buy feed for them as well and see how it goes.

Any idea what the hell is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OK perhaps not as bad as I originally interpreted but? A large installation of 150 plants is surely an impressive installation and I would be anxious to protecting the plants, so I would not delay and take some immediate precautions. PLs are sometimes vulnerable to bacterial/fungal infection including Canker which if allowed to develop will result in loss of affected plant and the infection can spread to the remaining plants.

As a precaution I would contact the original supplier and invite them to inspect the plants. They should be able to advise you on best course of action including cutting any removing all affected shoots and/or remove affected plants? Various treatments for tackling/controlling the infection are available, but cutting and removal of minor shoots would be obvious. I would however get supplier to inspect plants without delay and ideally before cutting/removing affected shoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I would say its xyleella fastidiosa or bacterial leave burne this will proabaly stun the growth, not much you can do for it expect remove the leaves from the laurels stop it spreading in to the main stem and burn them. This is usally caused by infected insects so it might be worth spraying your unefected laurels, to stop it from been spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Cheers guys for the comments. I took some leaves to the guy I bought the plants from. He said its not a disease and asked did I do any spraying....
    Well i did spray around the plants to kill the grass about 5 weeks ago and he thinks some drops/mist may have fallen on the plants.

Advertisement