Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's weird what they consider music...!

• 06-07-2012 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

A fine bunch of middle aged people watch and comment on 'dubstep' produced by 'Skrillex'

So, what is the opinion of the great unwashed on 'After Hours' on the surge in the popularity of electronic music that we've seen in the last few years?

Personally I think it's great and only adds something to the beautifully wide variety of music out there. Others hate it and don't consider it music.

So, After Hours, your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

If the old folks don't like it, it has to be good. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Some electronic music is fantastic and there are some brilliant electronic artists out there. Skrillex, however, is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Skrillex, however, is not one of them.

Skrillex caught de ghey. Surprised anyone can tolerate the noise he makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

RHarrow wrote: »
    Others hate it and don't consider it music.

So, After Hours, your thoughts?

Isn't this an argument folks have had since the advent of the Moog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Sometimes its good to listen to and stuff but I mean it doesn't have any meaning does it? Like you can't pick a Dubstep track and say "Hey, that song really makes me think about someone or something", which is what Music is all about for me anyway. I do enjoy an oul' Bass drop or two that being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I heard someone call Skrillex "The poor man's Aphex Twin".

I was disgusted, because that is a MASSIVE insult to whoever the poor man's Aphex Twin actually is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Hate the artist not the genre, I've heard good and bad dubstep like I've heard good and bad rock and/or roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's a massive shame that those people are probably going to die before Skrillex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

TheStook wrote: »
    Sometimes its good to listen to and stuff but I mean it doesn't have any meaning does it? Like you can't pick a Dubstep track and say "Hey, that song really makes me think about someone or something", which is what Music is all about for me anyway. I do enjoy an oul' Bass drop or two that being said.

If you're only listening to dubstep that's focused on the drop, you're not going to find a lot of meaning. The Skrillexes, Excisions and Knife Parties are little more to dubstep than Britney Spears, Madonna, or Nicki Minaj are to pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Can't stand that type of music personally,sounds like a broken fire alarm to me!

But whatever makes people happy I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The gas thing about Skrillex and his fans are...I've been DJ-ing a few times in clubs and got so many requests for him that I couldn't ignore it. Finally I'll bite and play one of his big tracks that I can stand more than the rest, and you can be guaranteed to have one person come up and say, "Class song man, but any chance of some Skrillex??" If you ask them what track they're looking for, they'll often struggle to name one too. Yer man who said that kids only listen to rebel against their parents got it in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

If you're only listening to dubstep that's focused on the drop, you're not going to find a lot of meaning. The Skrillexes, Excisions and Knife Parties are little more to dubstep than Britney Spears, Madonna, or Nicki Minaj are to pop.

From what I understand, there are no lyrics. So how can their possible be meaning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I heard someone call Skrillex "The poor man's Aphex Twin".

He's not even on the same boat as Apex Twin, I'd forgotten how warped they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

This thread inspired me to seek out the Windowlicker video, even before you posted it. It's been a while since I've watched it but it's great stuff! Funny, warped and great music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

In the same boat as many people.
    I hate Skrillex/Dubstep that whole genre in general.

I don't think there is a whole lot of talent sitting at a computer, I think the real talented musicians are those that dedicate their lives to mastering instruments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That Skrillex shíte is just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Is this filth popular back home yet? Over here all the English Ive known (mostly 22 and under) have been heavy into Dubstep garbage since about 2010 or so, Im heavy into my electronic and all and I had never even heard of it before then. It is especially popular in the south of England far more than the North, it seems to be taking over in popularity from drum and bass down there. I found myself at a Dubstep night here a few years back after agreeing to go (not knowing at all what it sounded like). It was like being at a death metal gig in a nightclub, fcuking horrible stuff, ended up leaving after a half hour.

Like myself, most Irish over here think it i comedy music, and Skrillex looks like a paedo. Hpw anyone could claim to be into electronic music and go to this rubbish rather than a good funky house night baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Long running thread on this Here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement