Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 Ammo Brands

Options
  • 06-07-2012 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

There's tons on threads on here about 20gr vs 17gr etc., but I'm wondering if any of you notice much difference between brands...?

I recently put in some good time at the range and found that the various 17gr ammo showed some variation in performance through my CZ452 American. I'll list them here, 1 being the best. (all .17 gr vmax)

1) CCI
    2) Winchester (almost nothing between the top 2)
    3) Federal
    4) Hornady (quite poor groups)

AND, the 20gr Hornady's seemed the best of the lot. Is there any other company making 20gr??

I've heard that all 17gr .17 ammo is made in the same place. I don't know if that's true but my results say there is a difference. Now I mean the difference was not as great as a centrefire with non-suiting ammo, but it was the difference between tack driving at 75 yards and a 2 inch group all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

For me its

remington
    hornady
    cci

20gr hornady.

Yeah all v-max are made in the CCI factory but then again ammo quality could vary from different batches.
    Lads on the english forum claim remmy used casings smell different so its a different powder but CCI say everything is the same with a different stamp on the end and colour tip.

CCI do a 17gr tnt hollow point.
    winchester do a 20gr too.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Forgot to say, I picked up a box of Remmy just today. The box says they're boat tail but I assume all 17's are boat tail.

I'll give 'em a try... What rifle are you using garv?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Robotack wrote: »
    Forgot to say, I picked up a box of Remmy just today. The box says they're boat tail but I assume all 17's are boat tail.

I'll give 'em a try... What rifle are you using garv?

Not sure I think they are. A marlin 917vs..

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Where do ye get the CCI bullets? My local dealer doesn't have them.. Thanks.

Advertisement