Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motive, Means and Opportunity

• 06-07-2012 3:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

With the transfers and speculation now being the main daily football news I see stories where managers of snubbed clubs make sarcastic remarks about a player choosing a different club "for the money".

The pub gurus repeat the daily mail headlines and give out about a player leaving their club "for the money", the pr1ck...

Its at the stage where no player will admit to choosing a club because they offered him the best salary.

Why is it ok for you to change jobs to earn more money but you look down on someone else doing the very same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

If a player leaves your club for more money of course you're going to give out about it, why wouldn't you? Everyone who supports their club would kill to play for said club, and they see someone just pick up and go, whereas you would do so for free.

Not every player loves their club to the full, ie, hasn't supported them all their life, and would do anything for them. Ronaldo always wanted to play for Madrid, thats why most United fans weren't annoyed at him when he left, it was his dream and we wished him well.
    Why is it ok for you to change jobs to earn more money but you look down on someone else doing the very same thing?

It is fine, cause its me, or us, and I'm not so sure companys wouldn't be pissed if one of their top talents left for a similar company just cause they offered more money. We'll look out for ourselves, and our best interests where making more money leads to a better lifestyle. As I said, its just its our club, we'll be annoyed cause we'd kill to play for our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Getting £80m for him may have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Not every player loves their club to the full, ie, hasn't supported them all their life, and would do anything for them. Ronaldo always wanted to play for Madrid, thats why most United fans weren't annoyed at him when he left, it was his dream and we wished him well.

Did they fcuk. There was a hate campaign the first time he tried to leave (back when Fergie came out guns blazing saying he could never sell him to them because of what he perceived as their underhand behaviour). It was more a resignation to it happening than any goodwill tbh.

It depends really. Similarly there was a hate campaign against Rooney when there was all that talk he wanted out, even to go to United. On the face of it that would have been pure money, in reality I always reckoned the pair of them were in on it, it was just more of Fergies mind games playing with City. Torres got a hounding for "chasing the money" when in truth all he was doing was leaving a club where the fans were beginning to turn on him and they had made the comedy decision of pulling Dalglish out of reitrement. He knew, as anyone with a half clue did, that Liverpool were not going to be winning a decent trophy with him in charge, the appointment defied all logic. It is the exact same with RVP- a player of his quality should have a neck full of medals. He has reached the point where he is tired of Arsenal sitting on their mountain of transfer profits and refusing to buy any big name players that will give them a consistent run for silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

shangri la wrote: »

Its not really comparable though is it?

I know a lot of people get upset when their favourite players leave their club, its understandable, however i really believe that those same people, if asked and being honest would do the exact same thing IMO as those players. Football brings you back to your youth in a way, and your football club can turn you into a child for brief moments again, for good or for bad.

I have very little faith in modern footballers anyway being honest. Contracts mean very little, they have agents linking them to clubs when a new contract is being negotiated etc etc Its when the badge kissers are pushing for a move that really annoys me, or when their missus would prefer shopping in London etc etc. All you can really hope for these days is a quality player to hang around for 3-4 seasons anyway unless your a top club, by then he will either make the step up or leave for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People get up in arms about it because, with rare exceptions, humans have a very difficult time seeing the world with eyes other than their own. To many people, the money Van Persie is on now (or Owen was on at Liverpool back in the day, etc) is beyond their wildest dreams and they can't process the idea that a 100% pay rise in such a scenario is still massively appealing.

Studies have shown that people lose the ability to properly assign value to numbers that exceed 1 million. They also have a difficult time processing the professional reality of athletic / celebrity fields or work.

You'll also have the argument about LOI or League Two professionals, and how they play for the love of the game, etc. And that argument may be made by people who earn multiples of what trainees or juniors in their line of work earn on the basis of their skill and experience.

Cliffnotes: humans can't step outside their own shoes

• Advertisement
Advertisement