Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay Area

Options
  • 06-07-2012 7:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My company have offered a relocation package (from Europe) to San Francisco. We've accepted the package (includes moving expenses, shipping etc). Now we're starting to plan the logistics of the move

For anyone that's out there...is there anything that we should buy here that is cheaper than in the states? For instance, should we by flat-pack furniture here and ship it over or wait it out?

In the bay area, what are the best areas to live? we've been told so much conflicting info (ie stay away from Vallejo, move to vallejo). At the moment we're looking into moving to the east-bay as it is an easy commute to my office over in SSF (the new oyster point ferry)
    We're looking into Berekely, Walnut Creek, Richmond. Is there enough there to keep us occupied? We're late 20's, no kids.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We did the same thing twenty years ago. But without the benefit of the internet.

As far as areas to live, your job is petty central so you've got a wide area to choose from. What do you like? City? Country? Ocean? Woods?

What kind of commute could you put up with? 30mins? An hour?

Best neighbourhood close by would be Hillsborough. The areas get nicer the closer they are to the the hills. But you're also close enough to be in San Fransisco which would be my first choice.

I'd stay away from the east bay. It may be a little cheaper over there but it will make your commute much longer and the novelty could wear off fast.

ps. Vallejo? No. Its a ship dismantling yard built in a swamp surrounded by chemical plants! (& too far away anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I wouldn't buy anything before moving out here. you can buy almost everything here at a decent price. However, I wouldn't go throwing away anything you do own. Have a look into shipping your personal belongings, furniture, etc. It could be cheaper than buying everything new again and might make the transition easier. (oh but do bring tea bags a plenty, Barry's and Lyons are quite expensive out here :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

thanks for the advice guys - we're lucky in that my company are organising the shipping and storage of anything we want, and also providing an apartment for 3 months while we search - they said this is as much about finding the right neighbourhood etc for us as it about building up enough credit/paystubs to get on to the apartment hunt. The corporate apartment is near Nob Hill area, but from everything I've seen it is a bit out of range on the pennisula (ideally 2 bedroom, 2000$ more or less)

We're both city people, lived in Barcelona/Madrid for 7 years or so, we're of mix of homebirds with periodic hedonism, which'll probably make the bay area good for us - we like bars an restaurants as well as the ability to get our bikes out into the country for a few hours

The visa catagory is L1a (L2 for the wife) but I spoke with the immigration lawyer from the company and he said that while it is non-immigrant, the company will change our status to greencard after 2 years.

It's all getting very exciting seeing as 2 weeks ago we were facing down another couple of years in a city we don't like, and that within 6 weeks we're going to be starting afresh in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We're both city people, lived in Barcelona/Madrid for 7 years or so, we're of mix of homebirds with periodic hedonism, which'll probably make the bay area good for us - we like bars an restaurants as well as the ability to get our bikes out into the country for a few hours

Thats pretty cool about the corporate apartment.

My bet is you'll, enjoy Nob Hill and probably decide to stay in the city.

San fransisco is much more of a european style city. I love it there. While the rest of bay area is much more vehicle focused. Big freeways, drive-in this and that, etc etc.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy anything before moving out here. you can buy almost everything here at a decent price. However, I wouldn't go throwing away anything you do own. Have a look into shipping your personal belongings, furniture, etc. It could be cheaper than buying everything new again and might make the transition easier.

This is good advice.
    (oh but do bring tea bags a plenty, Barry's and Lyons are quite expensive out here :p)

This is terrible advice, US Customs sniffer dog container shipping. Don't pack any kind of food substance, it will delay your container through customs.

I would also get a re-lo agreement that says they will ship you back if they fail to convert to Greencard. Shipping is very expensive, budget between 5k-15k to get back 'home' if you decide not to stay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement