Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those repeating or have repeated

• 06-07-2012 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Is it better to study 6 subjects and study them well or do the 7th subject and count your best 6? What did ye find the best?

Would love your opinions.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'd advise six, that's what I did! It's a lot harder to improve your points if you do extra in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I agree with the last poster, 6
    I think it is easier to use the time you have trying to better the 6 subjects you have and getting those grades up a bit than using the time to do a whole different subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i'd go with 6 also :) that's what i did anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I'm repeating and think I'll have 9.. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Raeone wrote: »
    I'm repeating and think I'll have 9.. :O

Why? In all fairness, that's absolutely ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Why? In all fairness, that's absolutely ridiculous.

I think I failed two this year so I'm going to have to do them next year, but I'll be doing pass in them and I'm already doing one pass subject which I don't want to drop. That leaves me with three pass and four higher level and I want to do one more higher level so going to pick up a new subject. I'll also be doing L.C.V.P.

So I will have three pass, five higher level (with one being a new subject) and then lcvp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I'd also advise 6! I did 6 and LCVP!

For those of you that have done LCVP and end up repeating....you can't redo your portfolio, that mark stays the same but you resit the exam! So when the rechecks come about you can see your portfolio mark and then decide yourself if it's worth repeating as a back up plan!

Also make sure to view your scripts for the likes of the geography and home ec projects etc. to see where you lost your marks. I know this years geography fieldwork on rivers was on erosion and deposition, next year it's erosion only so you can reuse that material! You can see what sections need to improve on from viewing your scripts! I found it really handy!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

I have been debating this too, if i get a distinction LCVP i think ill stick with 6, LCVP being the 6th, if not i think i'd take up a new subject like business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

I did 8 and I would do it again. Two were pass, so having more than 6 enabled me to make up for my weaker subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

I did 6 honors subjects when I repeated, as I then could drop the borderline foundation, pass subjects. But if you don't have that option for first time sitters, consider bringing a pass up to honors, instead of another subject to concentrate on. If like me, that's realistically not possible, take up a subject to bring up the honors. Assuming you need the points. Otherwise 6 including pass subjects is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Aidenryan

ANYONE KNOW IF U FAIL IRISH ARE U STILL OK TO GO TO COLLEGE????????

Aidenryan wrote: »
    ANYONE KNOW IF U FAIL IRISH ARE U STILL OK TO GO TO COLLEGE????????

Depends on your specific course requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'd say do 6 it's easier and you can just focus on those 6. Most people I know this year who repeated with more ended up dropping it by the end of the year to just the 6 . Only a few who wanted to do medicine did more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I did 8 first time around and did 8 again when I repeated. Didn't find it a problem at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Did 6 honours this year and 2 pass, intend to do 8 honours next year and no pass.

Advertisement