Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Calculate GPA

Options
  • 06-07-2012 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Anyone know how to calculate GPA? Employers abroad seem to be more familiar with GPA scores than with 2.1, 1.1 etc...Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

sawfish wrote: »
    Anyone know how to calculate GPA? Employers abroad seem to be more familiar with GPA scores than with 2.1, 1.1 etc...Thanks.
    This is the best way I can find to calculate GPA
    First convert your scores in each subject throughout your course to American grades A 90%–100% B 80%–89% C 70%–79% D 60%–69% E / F 59% and below
    Then give each subject a GPA value ( A = 4.0; B = 3.0; C = 2.0 ; D = 1.0; F = 0; )

Then multiply each subjcts score by the number of credits for that subject. Add together your results and divide by total number of credits in your degree.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

First convert your scores in each subject throughout your course to American grades A 90%–100% B 80%–89% C 70%–79% D 60%–69% E / F 59% and below
    Then give each subject a GPA value ( A = 4.0; B = 3.0; C = 2.0 ; D = 1.0; F = 0; )

Then multiply each subjcts score by the number of credits for that subject. Add together your results and divide by total number of credits in your degree.
    Jesus.

Our way seems so much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Do we not calculate grades differently , i.e. an A would be 70%+ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Theres no way that this could be right... if you average 72% (First class honours) you would get a GPA of 2 or something like that. .. Ive read that a first class honours is 3.68 and above... there must be another way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Theres no way that this could be right... if you average 72% (First class honours) you would get a GPA of 2 or something like that. .. Ive read that a first class honours is 3.68 and above... there must be another way!!
    Hey if you want to use American grading system use american grades. I'd just tell employer first class honours if thats what I graduate with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭batistuta9

adding up your total score - after converting it to the 4.0 scale - & diving by the number of modules you took is another way of getting it.

module 1 = 3.0
    module 2 = 2.0
    total = 5.0
    GPA = total/# of modules = 2.5

though i think this actually only works/applies if all modules are of equal credits

There's no standard way for calculation of GPA's even in american colleges. though they mostly, maybe even all do it on the 4.0 GPA scale.

here are two separate ways http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-GPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

I could be way off the mark here but I was once told that the American grades are different from our own.
    In our system, if you get 9 out of 10 questions correct, that is 90% or an A.
    In the US, only the top students get A's. So if there is a class of ten students and three of them score 6 out of 10 while the rest score below 6 out of 10; those 3 students get A's.
    This is obviously a flawed system and I question its veracity. Like I said, I may be wrong about this but if anyone can shed some light on it I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Having studied in both an American University and DIT I feel I can summarize. They are two completly different and trying to convert one to the other is a very grey area. In America a passing grade is 60% as opposed ot the 40% required from DIT and an American A is 90% unlike the Irish grade of 70% so you need to take this into account when converting.

I might point you to the following website for help. http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp
    thecatspjs wrote: »
    I could be way off the mark here but I was once told that the American grades are different from our own.
    In our system, if you get 9 out of 10 questions correct, that is 90% or an A.
    In the US, only the top students get A's. So if there is a class of ten students and three of them score 6 out of 10 while the rest score below 6 out of 10; those 3 students get A's.
    This is obviously a flawed system and I question its veracity. Like I said, I may be wrong about this but if anyone can shed some light on it I would appreciate it.

What you are refering to here is the bell curve adjustment as well as a sometimes applied grade inflation. Not all colleges inflate grades but a lot of colleges use a bell curve depending on the subject. For example in my Statistics class there was no bell curve as you are either right or wrong but in my History of Science and Technology class there was a bell curve due to the essay portions of the exams which had a bit of personal opinon in it.

Advertisement