Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to leasing

Options
  • 06-07-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I am leasing a room to my brother, probably for maximum 6 months and want to know what I require
    How much tax I would have to pay?
    How much should I charge him?
    Do I need a rent book?
    Do I have to register with anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

If you get on well with your brother and ye trust each other you might be better off just making an informal agreement with each other. What you should charge would depend on the going rate in the area, usually between €50-€100. Otherwise, you're looking at registering with the PTSB, declaring the income to the revenue and drawing up a lease agreement for him to sign. Which is a bit long winded for a person letting a sibling stay on a short term basis. The citizens advice bureau has lots of info for first time landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭wildchild247

If he does decide to stay longer would it be too late to register after those months have past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I am leasing a room to my brother, probably for maximum 6 months and want to know what I require
    Do I need a rent book?
    Is this in your own house/apartment - i.e. will you be a live-in landlord?
    Silas Uninterested Rifleman If you get on well with your brother and ye trust each other you might be better off just making an informal agreement with each other. What you should charge would depend on the going rate in the area, usually between €50-€100. Otherwise, you're looking at registering with the PTSB, declaring the income to the revenue and drawing up a lease agreement for him to sign. Which is a bit long winded for a person letting a sibling stay on a short term basis. The citizens advice bureau has lots of info for first time landlords.
    If it is a tenancy, even for less than six months it would have to be registered with the PRTB (though not if the agreement is for a bedroom in a rented property and sharing facilities with others and where the landlord is not resident in the property)

yeah its my house and I am letting him stay for a while
    Im a live in landlord in this case

yeah its my house and I am letting him stay for a while
    Im a live in landlord in this case
    wildchild247 I am leasing a room to my brother, probably for maximum 6 months and want to know what I require
    Do I need a rent book?

In this case your brother will be a lodger or licensee - he is only there on your invitation as long as you wish, be it 1 month, 6 months or years. You may at any time withdraw your invitation.

This would come under the rent-a-room scheme and you can have an income of up to 10,000 euros per annum, tax free.

How much you charge is up to you, but with a lodger situation it is rarely more than 250 euro per month plus a contribution to the utilities, however, it would depend on location, facilities (en suite?) etc. I currently pay 200 p.m. plus 50 p.m. for utilities (gas, electricity, TV, internet etc.), however, I am in a county town and not Dublin.

A rent book is a very convenient way of recording payments, especially as they only cost a few euros.

You do not have to register with anyone.

• Advertisement

that clears up everything
    thanks for the advice
    greatly appreciated

that clears up everything
    thanks for the advice
    greatly appreciated
    You're welcome

Advertisement