Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Gardai...

Options
  • 06-07-2012 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

So yet again there was another fairly major burglary in Newtown last night. Following a recent spate of other break in's over this last few week's. Personally I think the Garda situation in the area is diabolical, I'm sure we've all heard the story by now about the local having to go and collect the garda at the Newtown barracks last week because there wasn't a car available to him to make his own way to the crime scene. :eek: :mad:

Don't get me wrong I don't blame the Individual Garda themselves they actually do a good job in the town(s) but it really is getting out of hand now with a burglary or multiple burglary's happening on a pretty much nightly basis at this stage with opportunistic criminals taking full advantage of the situation.

The thing is what can be done about it :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I rang the gardai last year when I noticed the cap had been removed from our oil tank. Nothing had been taken as there wasn't much in the tank. I was advised to get an automatic light with a motion detector fitted to the gable of the house, I was also advised to get a gate with a lock, and if you dont have a burglar alarm, put up a dummy one ie. just the plastic cover with a small light of some sort.
    There have been a couple of attempted break ins locally in the last 2 weeks (Finn Valley)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Its a sign of the times unfortunately that house breakins are becoming more frequent again so I'm not sure if theres much more than the basics mentioned above (motion detector lights, locks, an actual geniune neighbourhood watch etc) that can actually be done.:(

In saying that though, a few months ago, a friend of mine had his house broken into at ~9.30am on a Wednesday morning. He came back from the shops with his wife and they met three guys running out of the house. Two just laughed at them and one told them it was ok to go back in as they were finished. He rang the guards at ~11am and they called to him after 3pm that afternoon to check that they were ok and told him that they would call back later in the day to get a statement. He's still waiting for them to call back and they told him on the phone that theres no point in giving a statement as these kind of breakins are never resolved anyway. This wasnt a remote country house burglary - their house is basically within spitting distance of Letterkenny Garda Station.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I rang the gardai last year when I noticed the cap had been removed from our oil tank. Nothing had been taken as there wasn't much in the tank. I was advised to get an automatic light with a motion detector fitted to the gable of the house, I was also advised to get a gate with a lock, and if you dont have a burglar alarm, put up a dummy one ie. just the plastic cover with a small light of some sort.
    There have been a couple of attempted break ins locally in the last 2 weeks (Finn Valley)

Hi dont waste your time putting up dummy boxes these guys that are at this know there stuff you need to put in a real system yes I understand not always cheap but when you look at what the house is worth and its contents everyone should have one also a very good investment would be a cctv system not near as dear as they use to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

you could get a Newfoundland dog :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Just had an incident there with the Gardai that made me think of this thread.

Reported a couple of scumbag druggies who have taken to shooting up out the back of work, they're doing it daily at approximately the same time and, conveniently, sit right under a camera to do so. This is really not a good thing since there are kids and families constantly moving around there as well, it's a carpark so a moderate amount of movement.

The Gardai's response was very apathetic and I didn't get the feeling they were even going to bother looking into this. To be honest I would have expected them to at least organise to be around the area around the time these druggies visit.

I've instructed staff not to go out when these guys are there, nor are they to touch any of the material left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

The Gardai's response was very apathetic and I didn't get the feeling they were even going to bother looking into this.

I bet if you rang to complain to someone higher up that they didn't do their job, they'd soon be looking into if you had valid car tax, brake lights, insurance etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Didn't take long for this to turn into a Gardai bashing thread. Typical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I dont think its a gardai bashing thread,if anything getting out this view can help people see that more gards need to be recruited and the significance of the profession,the gardai are needed by the community at large..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Gardai were operating a checkpoint in Ramelton this morning, he wrote down some details, name, reg no etc. Said he was recording details of all traffic passing, anyone have any idea why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

And yet again Newtown was stuck last night, this time the local chinese take-away. They are a lovely family who have been settled in the village for a good few years now, there is talk of them leaving over this :(

The owner grew suspicious of a car outside and took down the reg, a few minutes later 2 walked in with a knife & hammer threatening, demanded money and left. The gardai were called (when I say called I mean when Newtown then Carrigains then Letterkenny and finally Buncranna barracks were phoned and the phone rung out :rolleyes: and eventually 999 was dialled) it took close to an hour for anyone to show up, by that stage the car had long gone over the border as the same car was reported for the manner of it's driving 35 minutes after the burglary in Killea.

If the Gardai had any sense of urgency they might just have nabbed the culprits! when will they learn. I know this as I was talking to one of the Family in the shop this morning. Haven't seen any stories up online yet, will post a link to one when one goes up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Went to Milford station on thursday evening to renew the passports for the family, one Garda in the station and one in the car plus a sergeant in the office. That was the entire force deployed for the twelve till ten shift on that day for what is a very large area at the busiest time of year for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Isn't there a change to the law now that says if you protect your home from a burglar (i.e. knock seven shades of **** out of them) then you should get off with it as long as you show you weren't sitting waiting with a hammer for them.

Could shop owners not have a hammer or large pole just sitting about under the counter, maybe left from some work they were doing earlier;), and then in the case of a hold-up, they have something to protect their premises with?

Would they get off with it?

Knowing this country, the person doing the hold-up would sue them for mental distress, and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Leeandcrowd

Without getting political, but I was always under an impression that ''certain members'' of society pulled robbing little scum bags back into line? I don't live in Eire so please forgive my ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps you are thinking of how it used to work in NI?

Its doesn't even work like that there anymore, as the 'certain members' now have to behave themselves and be seen to be upholding the law.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Perhaps you are thinking of how it used to work in NI?

I thought it might of worked the same in Donegal with the border being so close, I guess I'll just have to bring my old mate ''woody'' over with me just in case, he's a good lad he just sits by my bed all day, kind of on call :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I thought it might of worked the same in Donegal with the border being so close, I guess I'll just have to bring my old mate ''woody'' over with me just in case, he's a good lad he just sits by my bed all day, kind of on call :D
    It works better than parazone at getting rid of 99% of germs

Baseball_bat_thumb_288x432_25609_7.jpg

Love that :D:D

hey thats woody lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'm not sure if Billy bat would have any effect on these guys TBH. You shouldn't need to use self defence in all honesty, I don't personally blame the individual Gardai but I do blame the guys who are in charge of planning on shift times ect and more importantly gardai numbers.

Here's a link to the story. there was also 1 more robbery and 2 more attempted robberies yesterday, all on pensioners houses and all took place when they went to Mass yesterday morning :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

muffler wrote: »

I think even that is going too easy on the scumbags.... but its too bad that this is how we have to think :(

Gone are the days when there used to be "community policing" of a different kind who kept unsocial behaviour of that kind in check.... wonder was it such a bad thing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Duster wrote: »
    I think even that is going too easy on the scumbags.... but its too bad that this is how we have to think :(

Gone are the days when there used to be "community policing" of a different kind who kept unsocial behaviour of that kind in check.... wonder was it such a bad thing :rolleyes:

have thought this way for a while but the sad thing is there will allways be a scumbag to fill another scumbags place .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Only real option with them is to hit hard enough to permanently disable, remove their ability to repeat offend.

Though I might be a tad biased since my car was broken into twice in the space of a week. :P

Should fit your car with an extra special security feature like some do in South Africa flame throwers and swords fitted under the cars :D

This country has gone politicaly correct mad.
    There is always someone sticking up for the piece of sh1t that attcked and robbed the old man or lady or the one that robbed a load of houses cause he didn't know better screw them and they should be actually punished.

The Gardai are to overstreched it's crazy there are less cops with an ever increasing population and I don't believe the media stating that crimes are down.

More and more thefts from homes, cars, farms, sites and so on.

I live in a town in Suffolk England, if you read and heard about all the goings on in this town ,rapes, abductions, shootings,stabbings, car robbery, house burglary, distraction burglary's, drug dealing you name it, it happens here, you'd think of Ipswich as the last town on earth that you'd ever want to live in willingly. Yet I personally have experienced very little trouble in my 20 years here,I had a van broke into and mower stolen

Is this the same situation for most people in Donegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

I live in a town in Suffolk England, if you read and heard about all the goings on in this town ,rapes, abductions, shootings,stabbings, car robbery, house burglary, distraction burglary's, drug dealing you name it, it happens here, you'd think of Ipswich as the last town on earth that you'd ever want to live in willingly. Yet I personally have experienced very little trouble in my 20 years here,I had a van broke into and mower stolen

Is this the same situation for most people in Donegal?

Simple answer is no, it`s not utopia and if you make an effort to fit in (as you would do anywhere) then Donegal is a good place to live in.:D

DoneDL wrote: »
    Simple answer is no, it`s not utopia and if you make an effort to fit in (as you would do anywhere) then Donegal is a good place to live in.:D

Thank you very much DoneDL, I wouldn't even consider for a minute moving to Donegal if I wasn't prepared to make the effort to contribute and actively try to fit in. TBH being part of a community that I have always gravitated towards is the main reason for me and my family wanting to move.

muffler wrote: »

Just if a guard asks what do you use it for dont say like a guy did on road wars quote "I use it for protection" when the cop gave him the answer do you play baseball he said no :cool: bit of a dumb a**

Advertisement