Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optical drive woes

Options
  • 06-07-2012 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi doods,

I've just built a new computer, but I'm having terrible trouble getting the optical drive to work. It will not eject. The specs are:

Intel i5 3570K CPU
    8GB G.Skill RAM
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MoBo
    Sapphire Radeon HD7870 GPU
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W
    Samsung 830 256GB SSD

The optical drive is this

It's recognised by Windows and upon inspection "The device is working properly". I have two SATA data cables, the SSD works with either so I think they're ok. I have 8 SATA ports on the motherboard, the SSD works with a variety of them, so they seem fine too. I've tried numerous SATA power cables on the optical drive.

All of this lead me to believe that the optical drive was faulty. But then I tried a working drive from another machine and it exhibits the exact same effects, recognised by windows, working properly, won't eject. A light flashes when you press eject but then nothing happens. If I try to eject by right clicking on the drive, Windows explorer hangs for a few seconds and then an error pops up, "Can't eject drive" or something along those lines.

I'm at my wits end as to what the problem could be. The computer is working great otherwise, but this issue is really bothering me. I can get by without an optical drive, but I'm worried that this is somehow a problem with the PSU or the motherboard...

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Have you tried a different power cable?

You could try uninstalling it from the device manager. It should reinstall then. See if makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Krusedulle

I have tried multiple power cables from the same PSU. Uninstalling the drivers made no difference unfortunately :<

Advertisement