Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited Mail about Alternative TLDs

Options
  • 06-07-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Got a mail in today from a Chinese hosting provider as follows:
    Dear Manager,

We are the registration and solution center in China. We have an important issue to confirm with you. On July 05th, 2012, we formally received an application, one company which called "Blah Blah Invest Ltd" are applying to register ''XXXXXXX" as Web brand and Domain names:
    XXXXXXX.cn / .com.cn / .net.cn / .hk / .com.hk / .in / .tw / .com.tw / .asia
    After our preliminary investigation, we found the brand name and these domain names being applied are as same as your company's, so we wonder whether your company consigned Blah Blah Invest Ltd to register these domain names with us?
    If the aforesaid company is your business partner or your subsidiary company, please DO NOT reply us, we will approve the application automatically. If you have no any relationship with this company, please contact us within 10 workdays. If out of the deadline, we will approve the application submitted by "Blah Blah Invest Ltd" unconditionally.Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any question.
    Best Regards,

We don't operate in Asia and don't want to buy any of these domains so it's not really a big deal if someone squats the domain.

I presume this is just an elaborate phishing attempt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's a scam
    It's not a new scam or a particularly complicated one :)

Basically they'll try to convince a potential victim that their brand / trademark / company name is about to be registered in a bunch of domain extensions.

And if you take up the offer they'll charge you a very high price to provide the service

It's not phishing or anything that elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Think I got my first one in 1997 , a few weeks after registering my first domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks folks, we're not in the export business so it's not really an issue even if someone did try to reg them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

hardCopy wrote: »
    Thanks folks, we're not in the export business so it's not really an issue even if someone did try to reg them.

I think you're missing the point.

If someone wants to register a domain name they will register it.

Nobody is going to tell you about a 3rd party's intention to register a domain name - that's the scam's key

Advertisement