Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet & Cool but High Performance gaming

Options
  • 06-07-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm planning to return to the PC gaming master race after many years of using Macs and consoles. I built all my own machines from 1996 to 2006 so I'm no stranger to a screwdriver, but I'm very out of touch when it comes to the latest tech. :)

I'm very spoilt by my iMac in terms of noise. I'm not keen on having a hovercraft on my desk again but still want a high-end machine.

1. What is your budget?

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming and software development

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 24 or 27 inch

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Yes, I'm really picky when it comes to peripherals for ergonomic reasons, so I'll do some research on my own. For speakers, to be honest I'd prefer them integrated into the monitor to keep things tidy, I'll be using headphones if I need good sound quality

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? On the contrary I want to buy high-end components that are run well within spec, I want my machine to be as stable, cool, and quiet as possible. My home is very well insulated so my office gets uncomfortably hot even with just the iMac running!

8. How can you pay? I'd prefer credit card just in case something goes wrong, but for a great deal I'd be flexible.

9. When are you purchasing? Between August and October

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed.

From my preliminary research, here's what I'm interested in:

Intel Ivy Bridge

X77 mobo with support for wifi, dual graphics cards

Nvidia 680? 690? dual?

8-16 GB RAM

120+GB SSD boot/game drive (I'm interested in a RAID 0 configuration here for more performance, but what's the story with trim support?)

1+TB storage drive

optical drive

mid sized case, quiet as possible. 3-4 internal bays, 1-2 external. All the better if it lacks side windows, bright lights etc. :)

A high-end IPS display with USB, good speakers

80 plus gold or better power supply with enough capacity to handle 2 graphics cards

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

Advertisement