Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet & Cool but High Performance gaming

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I left Prime95 going for half an hour and the CPU temp was 57C. I don't have the cooler on its highest setting (2/3).

They're pretty good temps, how loud is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

RustySpoon wrote: »

For better performance on SSD here are some tips that I found useful, although have not done all of them myself:
    • Set BIOS to AHCI for performance if not already done automatically.
    • Disable system restore - should give you space back if currently on
    • Disable drive indexing on SSD drive
    • Turn off any defrag on SSD
    • If you have a decent bit of RAM disable the pagefile or move it to the slower storage disc if you have one.
    • Turn off hibernation - you won't need it with a SSD
    • Disable pre fetch and super fetch in registry
    • Disable the windows search & superfetch services in services.msc
    • Use MSconfig to enable no GUI boot to knock a few seconds off your boot time (as if it ain't fast enough for ya!)
    • Disable recycle bin (if you dare) or set to a smaller size to reclaim space
    You dont need to do any of this, windows 7 does it all automatically, it's only required if the OS is pre win 7.

I left Prime95 going for half an hour and the CPU temp was 57C. I don't have the cooler on its highest setting (2/3).
    Is that on standard clocks? Seems high to me for that cooler. I have an old Q6600 o/c'd to 3.6ghz at 1.4v, using a T.R.U.E 120 and my temps max at 54oC after an hour of prime95. Did you use the standard thermal paste that came preinstalled on the water block? If you did, it's far too thick, you need to clean it off and apply some good quality paste, but not too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I've over-clocked it to 4.4Ghz at 1.158v and it seems happy in Prime95, temperature is 70C. I'm still running the cooler at 2/3 setting and it's very quiet. The stock case fan is the loudest thing in the machine.

I did use the pre-installed paste yeah, so that could be the issue. I'll look into getting better stuff but tbh it's working pretty well as-is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I've over-clocked it to 4.4Ghz at 1.158v and it seems happy in Prime95, temperature is 70C. I'm still running the cooler at 2/3 setting and it's very quiet. The stock case fan is the loudest thing in the machine.

I did use the pre-installed paste yeah, so that could be the issue. I'll look into getting better stuff but tbh it's working pretty well as-is.

70C on prime95 is pretty poor to average. Have you got the pump set high? Have yo checked to see if your motherboard has over volted the CPU my ASUS did - should be below 1.2V IIRC

• Advertisement

Mine max's out at 73oC in Intel burn test, on air, yours is way too high. You shouldn't be hitting 50 in prime with that setup, even with the fans on low.

Advertisement