Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank statements required for renting?

Options
  • 06-07-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭

I have been to see a few places lately, and all agents are asking for 3 month bank statments, along with a salary certificate from your employer. I dont mind the salary certificate if they need 'proof' that you can pay your rent every month, but Im a bit funny about giving them three months bank statements. Is this the norm? Ive found a place now, and due to hand over the deposit next week etc, will it be a deal breaker if I dont want to hand over bank statements?
    Dont get me wrong, ive absolutely nothing to hide, but I just think its a bit odd they might want to see where I spend my money every month?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Never seen this before. Personally I'd be unwilling to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I'd provide it but black everything out because it's none of their business.

I'd also not allow them to take a copy of it or take it from my sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I am happy to provide a certificate from my employer. I will provide references from previous landlords.

But if they think they are viewing my financials they can go suck a lemon.
    If i can pay the deposit and the 1st months rent, and have references that should be enough.

Giving your financial history to landlords/estate agents or anyone in a position to put up the price if they "feel" you can afford it is a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

It's pretty common for letting agents (in Dublin anyhow) to request a bank statement from what I've seen although 3 Months is ott and I've only ever been asked to provide the most recent one.
    Some will also ask for a copy of your passport. It's all part of the "background check" they charge the landlord for although I doubt they need anything other then the statment from your employer which proves you have money coming in.

There's little you can do apart from say you're not interested in the place and find another if you disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It is a highly inappropriate request to make as far as I'm concerned and should be delined by all prospective tenants en masse.

There is no adequate purpose for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I would never give a landlord or letting agent my bank statements its none of their business, if you can pay the deposit and months rent up front then thats all they need to know

tbh if giving them my bank statement was the deal breaker then so be it, I'd walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks for the replies guys, when I was posting I was thinking maybe its me, but glad others feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I was asked for bank statements by the agency last time I went to rent an apartment - I refused but it wasn't an issue at all - they just said ok and let it be!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ask them a copy of the Landlord's bank statement to ensure he is solvent. Also ask for a tax clearance certificate and references from previous tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ask them a copy of the Landlord's bank statement to ensure he is solvent. Also ask for a tax clearance certificate and references from previous tenants.

My thoughts exactly - also you want evidence that the LL has returned every deposit and if he didn't the decision from the PRTB as to why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Badhb

snubbleste wrote: »

This.
    Also, if moving into an apartment with a management company, demand to see proof that management fees are fully paid and up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

No way would I provide bank statements. I have never given a salary cert either - I have provided letters stating that I am in employment and character references.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

No way would I give a bank statement. Be careful about taking the apartment at all if they are that particular. Are you signing a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I was asked at the start of the year by a agent and questioned why they wanted the information.

I was told that the current scam going around is to pay the first months deposit and rent, then claim you have lost your job and to be put on RA. This then doesn't get paid to the landlord, eviction notice begins and a couple of months later they get put out.

Landlord is out of pocket a couple of grand, tenant moves to another property and does the same thing.

Bank statements and salary certs let them rule out these people immediately. Although I doubt this is really "that common", this would appear to now be the norm because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I was asked at the start of the year by a agent and questioned why they wanted the information.

I was told that the current scam going around is to pay the first months deposit and rent, then claim you have lost your job and to be put on RA. This then doesn't get paid to the landlord, eviction notice begins and a couple of months later they get put out.

Landlord is out of pocket a couple of grand, tenant moves to another property and does the same thing.

Bank statements and salary certs let them rule out these people immediately. Although I doubt this is really "that common", this would appear to now be the norm because of it.

There is another current scam where some landlords don't return deposits and/or declare income to the Revenue Commissioners, hence we should make snubbleste's suggestion the norm as a counter request.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If you don't want to provide it, then vote with your feet, leave and look for another place.

It's a really, really simple decision to make.

Too many decent landlords are getting shafted by bum tenants who won't pay their rent.

There should be a facility whereby LL's can credit check their tenants too.

And before the left wing loonies start, I know there are terrible LL's out there, so no need to reiterate that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

I'm looking for a place to rent at the moment and was totally shocked when I first saw requests for bank statements from letting agents. I work in fraud prevention and funnily enough was talking to one of my colleagues about this today. We both agreed that people would be crazy to comply with this type of request. I would have serious concerns about potential fraudulent activity by handing over bank statements, ID, employer references etc. Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

While I can understand why a landlord might want to see bank statements there is absolutely no way I would ever provide them. I dont like showing my financial documents to companies who I at least in some small way trust to be private about them; I sure as hell am not going to show them to some random bloke from the town I live in who just so happens to own a second house!

I dont really see it as a huge issue anyway; in my opinion there are no shortage of places to rent so simply say no and put the ball in their court. If they back down then you get the place; if they dont then you find somewhere else.

Advertisement