Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant's Causeway is 6000 years old???

• 06-07-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Probably an inappropriate turn of phrase to use but...Oh my God!
    The Giant's Causeway, one of only three UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Ireland and the only one in Ulster, has given space at the Causeway Centre (run by the National Trust) to the creationist theory of how the Causeway was formed.
    Is this utterly ridiculous or just being sensitive to the beliefs of some?
    Personally I think it's idiotic on practically every level. The trust shouldn't be promoting any religious belief, they should concentrate exclusively on the science.
    If they are going to promote religious beliefs why this specific one? Why not all of them? Lets have a wing for Scientology and the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster while we're at it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/national-trust-in-giants-causeway-creationism-row-7917687.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Show me one 6,000 year old atom and I will listen to what you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The higgs boson created it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Creationists are idiots, and shouldn't be pandered to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tom Cruise created it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster while we're at it.

Where do I sign?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

krudler wrote: »

Yep, they in their nuttiness will argue with an older assessment.
    It might conflict with their daftness. :pac:

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tom Cruise created it
    No, that was the Highway to the dangerzone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

They are. But neither should foaming at the mouth millitant athiests.

At least alot of devout Christians know that deep down they might be talking sh1t. Athiests actually believe their own sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Religion should have no place in a facility like this. Its not like its some fleeting science that show how old the Causeway is, its fact that they were formed 60 million years ago. End of!

Last thing we need is international tourists coming here and thinking we're morons.

Religion should have no part of any educational facility imho

I don't know why we give creationists the value of the discussion, they're better left ignored to rot in their stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Thought we had moved past all the creationist shít..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Impossible.

Everyone knows the earth is only 2,000 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

When you say creationists of course you mean the ones that think the world was created in six literal days a few thousand years ago and that dinosaurs are a hoax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've never met anyone from any religion dumb enough to believe that the planet is 6000 year's old.

At least alot of devout Christians know that deep down they might be talking sh1t. Athiests actually believe their own sh1t.

That the earth isn't 6000 years old? we know its not, ergo creationists are idiots for believing it. that's not militant atheism (whatever the fcuk that is) its common sense and basic science.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I've never met anyone from any religion dumb enough to believe that the planet is 6000 year's old.

more than you'd think: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/americans-believe-in-creationism_n_1571127.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

The excuse - "an alternative viewpoint".

Okay, fair enough. Accordingly, we should include all alternate viewpoints of how the Earth came into being, not just the creationist Christian viewpoint. Or does refraining from hypocrisy fail most creationist Christians?

It's nonsense. The most accurate and scientific theory of the day should be the only one included.

Also, I'm not surprised this happened in Northern Ireland given it's large non-Catholic population. I'm not defending Catholics but I think you get more of these fundamentalists and creationist nutcases in certain Protestant sects than you do in Catholicism - maybe this is why creationism hasn't really took off down south. Just look at the US, a bastion of Protestantism and fundamentalist Christianity and nearly half of its population believes in creationism. Northern Ireland is also a lot more conservative than the Republic. Just look at the Iris Robinson and her views on homosexuality, etc., towing the same line as many of those Born Again Christians in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

"Praise be to Jesus!!......as my mother would say" - Sheldon Cooper.

To answer the OP...utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Fizman wrote: »
    Where do I sign?

here

http://www.venganza.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

is there going to be the same space to explain the myth about its formation.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    is there going to be the same space to explain the myth about its formation.

a giant made it? thats crazy talk, everyone knows it was a space wizard.

I'd like to think that most of them didn't realise that they were supposed to believe in the 6000 year planet-age along with everything else that Creationism stands for.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

That the earth isn't 6000 years old? we know its not, ergo creationists are idiots for believing it. that's not militant atheism (whatever the fcuk that is) its common sense and basic science.
    A militant atheist can only be identified by exclusion: A non militant atheist is one who quietly goes to mass and mumbles along with everyone else.

As for this nonsense: It's NI and involves religion, you may as well try to explain the Higgs boson to a burning bush.

Gurgle wrote: »
    A militant atheist can only be identified by exclusion: A non militant atheist is one who quietly goes to mass and mumbles along with everyone else.

As for this nonsense: It's NI and involves religion, you may as well try to explain the Higgs boson to a burning bush.

depends on the bush, some are quite chatty

I agree with you there. But my point is that neither of them have any business airing their views at the Causeway Centre.

Gurgle wrote: »
    A militant atheist can only be identified by exclusion: A non militant atheist is one who quietly goes to mass and mumbles along with everyone else..

Total rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

This is an absolute disgrace. The existence of alternative views does not make them right, nor does it make them valid. Especially given that it has been proven beyond any form of conceivable doubt that the world is 4.6 billion years old, that life evolved through evolution by natural selection and that the Giant's Causeway was formed through volcanic activity, not only are all the religion-based explanations based on myths, but only one explanation can be right, and it's the explanation we've arrived at through generations of meticulous scientific investigation. To suggest that "alternative worldviews" are valid is an insult to the very idea of scientific truth. There's no excuse to give any oxygen to this myth because not only is there no evidence supporting it, but there is conclusive evidence against it. The Causeway Centre has given in to the desires of creationists to see their redundant worldview propogated, and I think that's a scandal in any modern scientific society.
    They are. But neither should foaming at the mouth millitant athiests...at least alot of devout Christians know that deep down they might be talking sh1t. Athiests actually believe their own sh1t.

Would you care to back up that snark, or are ad hominem attacks the only arguments you're capable of making?
    I agree with you there. But my point is that neither of them have any business airing their views at the Causeway Centre.

When the Causeway Centre promotes religious untruths, yes, it is absolutely my business. It's not acceptable that ancient falsified myths should be placed on the same footing as established scientific theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

There is no difference in the beliefs of atheists as they are only associated by a lack of belief. The only difference is in the level of hostility towards religion.

And Christians have no idea they are talking shít because they are incapable of understanding what they are actually talking about. There is no scenario where a Christians belief outweighs an atheists no matter how militant because one is based on reason and logic no matter how hostile they are in expressing it and the other is based on absolute horseshít.

there's a creationist "museum" in the States that shows people interacting with dinosaurs, including saddled ones.

a saddle.

on a dinosaur.

• Advertisement

there's a creationist "museum" in the States that shows people interacting with dinosaurs, including saddled ones.

a saddle.

on a dinosaur.

Surely you must have watched the Flinstones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the Giants Causeway or similar site were in this state or indeed in Britain there is no way there would be a sop to "creationism" its just to appease those nutters in the DUP, of whom there are still far too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

nordies, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Surely you must have watched the Flinstones?
    Not to mention Dinoriders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

a saddle.

on a dinosaur.
    Well you wouldn't want to slip off the back of a Brontosaur it'd be a long way down. Besides everyone knows that we used them as cranes in the quarry and that we had cars with stone rollers for wheels that we'd power with our feet. Those great documentary makers Hanna Barbera made a series about it.

It'd be funny if it turns out Giants really did create it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If mankind arose in Mesopotamia 6000 years ago, I'd like to know how they managed to migrate in numbers to the Céide Fields (and build it) in only 500 odd years. Or to Newgrange (and build it, and aligned it to the sun) in about 800 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It'd be funny if it turns out Giants really did create it.

Of course they did. I was always told it was created by Fionn Mac Cumhaill.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    If mankind arose in Mesopotamia 6000 years ago, I'd like to know how they managed to migrate in numbers to the Céide Fields (and build it) in only 500 odd years. Or to Newgrange (and build it, and aligned it to the sun) in about 800 years.

Have you not being reading about the saddled dinosaurs?

Lisandro wrote: »
    When the Causeway Centre promotes religious untruths, yes, it is absolutely my business. It's not acceptable that ancient falsified myths should be placed on the same footing as established scientific theories.

I think maybe some wires got crossed in the way I wrote that. I agree with you, I was saying the Causeway Centre isnt a place for any religious views, it should be exclusively for science. I wasnt saying you shouldnt have an opinion or interest in this issue.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Fascinating.

• Advertisement

Not to mention Dinoriders.

I never saw that documentary.

Bambi wrote: »
    nordies, innit?

No, it isnt. Dont lump us all in with those eejits. Plenty of them all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

I think maybe some wires got crossed in the way I wrote that. I agree with you, I was saying the Causeway Centre isnt a place for any religious views, it should be exclusively for science. I wasnt saying you shouldnt have an opinion or interest in this issue.

I suppose it's more the place for secularism than atheism. Then again, it's very easy for secularism and atheism to join an argument together, though bearing in mind that Christians on this side of the Atlantic generally accept evolution, one's religion (or lack thereof in my case) doesn't have to come into it.

prinz wrote: »
    Total rubbish tbh.
    I am firmly put in my place by your eloquent rebuttal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I went to Giants Causeway a few years ago - it was a major let down.. the rocks are fucking tiny.

They should be done under the Trade Descriptions Act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah Giants Causeway - great memories

I suppose it's more the place for secularism than atheism. Then again, it's very easy for secularism and atheism to join an argument together,
    Yes, secularism is more relevant to the NT as an organization. The religious views of its staff and management shouldn't affect the running of the place.

Secularism: Not referring to supernatural mythology in how to run a country
    Atheism: Rejection of supernatural mythology

I have no problem with including mythology as part of the visitors center, but it should be mythology relevant to the site. Giants throwing rocks for example is appropriate to the Giant's causeway.
    The issue of including creationist theories has sparked controversy in the past in Northern Ireland, when prominent members of the Democratic Unionist Party at Stormont lobbied for museums to include such opinions.
    Why on earth would museums include religious mythology? That's what churches are for, museums are for history. Is Tìr na nÒg on the history syllabus?
    Christians on this side of the Atlantic generally accept evolution, one's religion (or lack thereof in my case) doesn't have to come into it.
    I believe (open to correction) that the catholic hierarchy accepts the big bang, big old universe, evolution etc. while many protestant organizations reject all the above in favour of direct intervention 'God did it'.

If both mainstream faiths in NI had the same views on these topics, neither would be bothered annoying the National Trust about them.

Was there really a need for this to turn into a religious debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Way WAY WAY more annoyed at this recent trend of putting visitor centers that you have to pay into at naturally occuring tourist attractions like at the cliffs of moher and the hill fort on Inis Mór to name but a few others.

Father Ted Crilly: You're supposed to be taking Jack for his walk.
    Father Dougal McGuire: Well erm, the cliffs were closed for the day.
    Father Ted Crilly: How can the cliffs be closed Dougal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No, it isnt. Dont lump us all in with those eejits. Plenty of them all over the world.

ehh... Prods, innit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement