Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physicists create highest man-made temperature ever - June 28th 2012

• 06-07-2012 11:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

http://www.slashgear.com/physicists-create-highest-man-made-temperature-ever-28236250/

Physicists from the Brookhaven National Laboratory have gone down in the Guinness World Records book as having created the highest man-made temperature ever recorded.

The scientists were smashing gold ions together using the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider at the Brookhaven National Laboratory. The smashing together of the ions created a fluid called quark-gluon plasma.

The smashing together of those gold ions simulated conditions similar to those during the creation of the universe and generated a temperature of 7.2 trillion degrees Fahrenheit. That is 250,000 times hotter than the temperature at the core of the sun. The Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider is a gigantic 2.4 mile long ring where ions are accelerated to speeds close to that of light.

The experiment being conducted was called PHENIX. The experiment saw gold ions being accelerated around the ring from both directions and crashed together in one of six experimental chambers around the accelerator.

The researchers observed the very brief formation of quark-gluon plasma, which is described as and nearly frictionless fluid with a temperature of 4,000,000,000,000°

======================================================

Anyone have a light ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How could then read that temperature?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

smash wrote: »

with a really really tall mercury thermometer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Lasers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

somewhere in africa a child who hasn't had anything to eat for 2 weeks is thrilled at the announcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

somewhere in africa a child who hasn't had anything to eat for 2 weeks is thrilled at the announcement
    Doubt it. they don't get news over there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Would that not burn through whatever container it was in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

7.2 trillion degrees Fahrenheit.

...Fahrenheit?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

stop all science until worlds problems are solved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

similar to the BBQ test - hold your hand over it and count until your hand hurts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Magnets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So the hottest place in the world is Brookhaven National Laboratory and the coldest is MIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

There's children starving in Africa,

And look at you all, buying electronic equipment and paying for internet when you could be sending all of your money to feed the black babies :mad:

Thats fcuking hot though, deadly :D , I'm fascinated by physics and general science lately

krudler wrote: »
    stop all science until worlds problems are solved?

No, more like: Stop fruitless scientific endeavour until we've addressed basic human rights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Doubt it. they don't get news over there!

Agreed, and even if they did get to hear of this - I doubt they'd care. They'd be too busy worrying about where their next meal would come from. Also, a child wouldn't have the capability to comprehend the range of a temperature such as this, much less a child from Africa where education standards would be substantially less than that of a first or even second world country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Cancel your internet subscription and use that money to feed said child if you feel that strongly about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

7.2 trillion degrees Fahrenheit.

...Fahrenheit?!

To be fair.....at that temperature does it really matter what label you stick on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Somewhere in africa a child who hasn't had anything to eat for 2 weeks is thrilled at the announcement, and also that you can afford a laptop, PC, smartphone and internet access to publish smart arse responses to interesting news items.

They put someone in there, obviously.

"Yup, it's hot"

No, more like: Stop fruitless scientific endeavour until we've addressed basic human rights

so scientists should stop what they're doing until 3rd world countries sort their sh1t out, brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Says the man on an internet forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I dont think this is a fruitless endeavour given that extremely high tempertures are required for nuclear fusion which could be revolutionary for mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

By sticking a finger in and then translating the decibel level of the loud scream of "Jesus, that's fuckin hot" into Celsius, using complicated maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Ah come on, are you serious??

this kind of "pointless" scientific experimentation has been the basis for all manner of advancements. Would you have felt the same over the past number of years when the LHC project was going on? the result of this only this past week was the discovery of the elusive hoggs boson which is going to open the door to god knows what! Oh and before you say "pfft, yeah some tiny particle..great news". The LHC project inadvertidly lead to the discovery\creation of the world wide web, which you are currently using and is so central to all our lives you probably don't even realise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

All these discoveries and advancements and still no hoverboards :(

Sorry for irking so many people in this thread. I'm all for scientific advancement that benefits mankind, i just dont see the value in what was accomplished in reaching a higher man-made temperature.

SeaFields wrote: »

Or lightsabers, or portal guns, get on it science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

SeaFields wrote: »
    Deadline is 2015, otherwise we have to accept that the 'Back to the Future' trilogy may not have been a genuine documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sorry for irking so many people in this thread. I'm all for scientific advancement that benefits mankind, i just dont see the value in what was accomplished in reaching a higher man-made temperature.

No one saw the point in LASERs either.

• Advertisement

You know it is about time Africa fended for itself.

All the aid sent there over the past few decades. Ethiopia was supposed to be starving yet the population more than doubled.
    Maybe that is why some kid in Africa is hungry.

I`d rather see money spent on scientific research than poured down the drain in Africa

Gurgle wrote: »
    Deadline is 2015, otherwise we have to accept that the 'Back to the Future' trilogy may not have been a genuine documentary.

Well the hoverboards and self-drying coats, cars that run on rubbish, self tying shoes, robots that walk your dog, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

krudler wrote: »
    Or lightsabers, or portal guns, get on it science.

I've got a matter transportation chamber, if only they'd make another one somewhere where it's not pissing it down.:(

Ah come on, are you serious??

this kind of "pointless" scientific experimentation has been the basis for all manner of advancements. Would you have felt the same over the past number of years when the LHC project was going on? the result of this only this past week was the discovery of the elusive hoggs boson which is going to open the door to god knows what! Oh and before you say "pfft, yeah some tiny particle..great news". The LHC project inadvertidly lead to the discovery\creation of the world wide web, which you are currently using and is so central to all our lives you probably don't even realise it.

What ?
    Please elaborate here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I thought all secintific discoveries were supposed to be measured in Kelvins.

For people saying that we should be givin the money to Africa, you must not realise that giving money to Africa will not increase the amount of food in Africa, it would just increase the cost of food in Africa. For money to work some countries have to be poor, its just economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Magnetic confinement I think. It's not sitting in contact with the container. One of the physics forum people would be useful now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

How the f**k can they calculate the temperature in Fahrenheit? That was invented by using the theory that the coldest you could get was freezing saltey water in Germany, use Kelvin ffs

Clareman wrote: »
    How the f**k can they calculate the temperature in Fahrenheit? That was invented by using the theory that the coldest you could get was freezing saltey water in Germany, use Kelvin ffs

tbf they are physicists and you proabably are not so I am going to go out on a limb here and say you are wrong and the physicists are correct.

there i said it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i bet you'd get some heat rash from that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Well, not if it was in a thermos. Duh!!

You know it is about time Africa fended for itself.

All the aid sent there over the past few decades. Ethiopia was supposed to be starving yet the population more than doubled.
    Maybe that is why some kid in Africa is hungry.

I`d rather see money spent on scientific research than poured down the drain in Africa

i totally agree .. africa has no intention of sorting itself out so long as aid keeps pouring in. almost akin to the welfare spongers not taking jobs during the boom years.

• Advertisement

well it looks like scientists are well on their way to creating scorthing hot universes with higg's boson and gold ions :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Thankfully, nobody has made you the grand arbiter of what constitutes a worthwhile scientific experiment.
    So your inability to perceive the worth in a scientific achievement will continue to matter fuck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I dont think this is a fruitless endeavour given that extremely high tempertures are required for nuclear fusion which could be revolutionary for mankind.

Major Burn!

il get my coat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hot stuff emits energy waves. By measuring the properties of these energy waves you can calculate how hot the source was.
    GarIT wrote: »
    I thought all secintific discoveries were supposed to be measured in Kelvins.
    They do. Stupid American site for some ridiculous reason decided to stick a Farenheit conversion in there.

The actual measurement was around 4 trillion Kelvins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

seamus wrote: »
    They do. Stupid American site for some ridiculous reason decided to stick a Farenheit conversion in there.

I'm surprised they didn't try to measure it in chicken nuggets.

So your inability to perceive the worth in a scientific achievement will continue to matter fuck all.

Yes, i cannot percieve the invention of the lightbulb, the mobile phone, the airplane, personal computers, the internet and so on.

Its all just over my head :rolleyes:

seamus wrote: »
    Hot stuff emits energy waves. By measuring the properties of these energy waves you can calculate how hot the source was.

The ridiculous reason being that most people, including those of us who studied it cant remember the conversion. And if we did, we'd read it and turn it back into celcius anyway.

Its not a scientific paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Yes, i cannot percieve the invention of the lightbulb, the mobile phone, the airplane, personal computers, the internet and so on.

Its all just over my head :rolleyes:

When they invented the laser, that had no real world application, would you have said that the money would have been better spent on aid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    What ?
    Please elaborate here ?

the world wide web/internet was created at CERN to help scientists across europe study all the data produced from the site.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_World_Wide_Web#1979.E2.80.931991:_Development_of_the_World_Wide_Web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

and they didnt set out to generate the highest temperature FFS!

its not like they were bored and decided to have a laugh.

Collisions in particle accelerators generate massive amounts of heat and they calculated the associated temperature.

and as alluded to earlier super hot plasma is the way forward to getting nuclear fusion working.

Nuclear fusion would end the worlds energy issues within a decade. As the main fuel is contained in water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement