Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Kickstarter from Irish Games Startup -Pending shill review in admin forum

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

edzillion wrote: »
    It looks like a mix of 2-d diablo hack&slashery and location based games:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/178064966/vampire-cities-an-rpg-in-the-real-world

They are pretty early stage, but they aren't looking for much. I've put my $20 down.

all these projects i hear of
    always looking for people to donate
    and when ever i donated
    i never hear about the game again

specialy on that site
    i think some people use it to scam because their was one suppose to be released this year in feb
    but never heard anything back about it
    i put 50 quid down towards it and nothing :S
    game sounds interesting though but i wont put any money towards it til i see some premade clips like an alpha beta gameplay or something

( if their is one on the site already an alpha beta video i cant see it because im in work in they have the site filtered ha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

It would be interesting to see a group try to fund a game with an Irish setting, or something with some sort of specifically local appeal (but not GAA 2013, obviously!) I think you'd be more likely to reach a modest funding target (such as this) if you were offering that. They say "RPG set in real world" and then reveal you play as a vampire...there are already tons of vampire games. And the "shadow world" idea is done to death at this stage - propose something original and I might back it. An RPG set in Dublin? Now that would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭edzillion

aren't bitsmith doing a game based on cu chulainn:

http://www.bitsmithgames.com/tag/ku-2/

Making an RPG about Irish history is kind of an in-joke in the irish games industry FWIH, because there are so many irish games startups that tried that and failed miserably.

I can name at least one: Kapooki, who were making some kind of celtic mythology MMO

That could be interesting, and I'm not surprised to hear that many have tried already.

But if you want 1,000 people to pledge a tenner, I just think it would be easier for an Irish team to appeal directly to Irish gamers with something they can't get elsewhere, rather than offering something done many times before, by developers all over the world, often on much larger budgets.

Ireland is a small market, but we sustain plenty of local media, including TV shows and books with little or no international appeal - Ross O'Carroll Kelly and The Savage Eye wouldn't interest an overseas audience, but they have enough fans here.

If we can do that, then I'm sure it would make financial sense for someone to produce low-budget indie games just aimed at the Irish market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kinski wrote: »
    If we can do that, then I'm sure it would make financial sense for someone to produce low-budget indie games just aimed at the Irish market.

• Advertisement

Yes, I alluded to the existence of that above. Problem is, it was supposed to be complete **** (AFAIK, it was based on an Aussie Rules sim, so presumably much less work and expense than making one from the ground up). A sports game is too ambitious, when gamers have the alternative of playing FIFA, Madden and the rest instead (they still ended up making a sequel, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cthuloids? Sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭edzillion

Kinski wrote: »
    But if you want 1,000 people to pledge a tenner, I just think it would be easier for an Irish team to appeal directly to Irish gamers with something they can't get elsewhere, rather than offering something done many times before, by developers all over the world, often on much larger budgets.

Making games for Irish consumers just is not feasible in this day and age. Games cost too much. Take the UK for example - much bigger population, much more game companies etc, and yet I have never heard of a UK specific game of any note - I can imagine this being viable in the future, but the numbers just don't add up right now.

and besides, what happened to being confident in the ability of an Irish company to make a popular game? maybe you don't intend it but your reply smacks of negativity. There are plenty of other small projects (admittedly probably further along) that have gotten funding via kickstarter, and his does not look like any other game to me, that anyone else could make.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Japan tried it, once upon a few years ago with an RPG set in fair old Lemrick. A slightly skewed perspective on the country, especially the J-Pop-Rock.

Advertisement