Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Congreve House contents to be sold.

Options
  • 06-07-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

The lights are finally going out in Mount Congreve, Ireland’s last ‘Big House’, and the contents will be sold during a huge two-day auction next week.
    Last month in London, bidders spent £3.4 million (€4.2 million) buying 91 items of silver, furniture, porcelain and paintings which had been shipped over for the first auction. But there’s a lot more to come.
    Next week’s huge two-day auction at the house will dispose of the rest of the contents. More than 1,100 lots will go under the hammer with estimates ranging from just €20 up to €100,000 (the highest estimate for a Regency-period Carlton House desk).
    This is the most important country house auction for a generation and a big crowd is expected to attend.

There are hand-woven carpets from various points along the old Silk Route; vases and lacquered screens from imperial China; Meissen porcelain and Georgian silver; gorgeous clocks and imposing oil paintings

I just can't believe the contents are being sold off like that. Surely they are treasures in their own right and the house and its contents should be preserved.

Who actually gets the money from the auction I wonder?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0705/1224319424867.html?via=mr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

AFAIK the proceeeds will go to the beneficiaries of the will.

The house and gardens were left to the State, which is great news for Waterford as this should be a major tourist attraction in the future.
    The gardens I believe were once named in the top 10 in the World and so should attract a lot of visitors in their own right.
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I just can't believe the contents are being sold off like that. Surely they are treasures in their own right and the house and its contents should be preserved.

Who actually gets the money from the auction I wonder?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0705/1224319424867.html?via=mr

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wonder would he have gifted that piece of history to the state if he knew what they were going to do with it.
    Disgrace it should be preserved and the state should be buying all relavant contents seen as they got the house and estate for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

I wonder would he have gifted that piece of history to the state if he knew what they were going to do with it.
    Disgrace it should be preserved and the state should be buying all relavant contents seen as they got the house and estate for free.

I don't get ya, what are the state going to do with it that he wouldn't have approved of? Would he have disapproved of the state making it a tourist attraction?

I agree that it would be nice if the state can buy some of the contents at least, keep it looking the part. Although if the first 91 items fetched 4.2m euro, it might be too much of an outlay for the OPW or whoever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd Love to go and pretend I'm on storage wars......

YUUUUPPPP!!!!!!

Edit: Anyone know what day it's on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

ziedth wrote: »

YUUUUPPPP!!!!!!

YUuUPPPPP - from the Irish Times article

MOUNT CONGREVE

WHAT Mount Congreve, the house sale, hosted by Mealy’s in association with Christie’s

WHEN Viewing Saturday, July 7th and Sunday, July 8th: Noon - 5pm; Monday, July 9th: 10am - 5pm. Auction on Tuesday, July 10th and Wednesday, July 11th from 11am each day. Entry to viewing and auction by catalogue only – €25 admits two

WHERE Mount Congreve, Kilmeaden, Co Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

YUUUUPPPP!!!!!!

Yourself and 4 or 5 lads go out and bid against each other pretending its storage wars.. id imagine it'd be very funny to watch!

paul-2008 wrote: »
    Yourself and 4 or 5 lads go out and bid against each other pretending its storage wars.. id imagine it'd be very funny to watch!

There's a twenty dollar bill right there....... that would actually be brilliant myself and the Mrs could be Jarrod and Brandi.

I'm definitely going to one of the viewings this weekend. I'd say it's an amazing house

Unsurprisingly I haven't been to an auction before. Say if wanted to go to the viewing on Sunday and then bring the mammy down to the auction on tueaday does that mean it would if I pay €25 going in on sunday and I'm covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

So did anyone go to the viewing?

I went today (Sunday) and the crowds were crazy. Apparently there were 5000 on Saturday, and they were expecting the same again today.

Nice to have a snoop around though. Pity the contents are being auctioned, but I think it a bit unreasonable to expect the state to shell out the millions required to purcahse them in the current climate.

Hopefulyl they'll be able to take bits and pieces from other houses in state ownership, and maybe even from the National Museum in Collins' Barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

His wife's Roll's Royce is included.It's a 1969 silver shadow with 62k miles,only 300 of this model were produced.Pristine condition i would imagine.

• Advertisement

I'm going to the auction tomorrow alright. I couldn't get in for the viewing in the end. I'd say it would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Rolls was valued at 12-18k. Sure we could all club together and buy it!

Did anyone go down? The whole experience blew me away. There really was an inconceivable amount of wealth in that house. There was this little duck that looked like you might pay €20 for went for nearly 3k, a mad looking tea pot 5k and the chandelier went for 33k. Needless to say we didn't bid on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Did anyone go down? The whole experience blew me away. There really was an inconceivable amount of wealth in that house. There was this little duck that looked like you might pay €20 for went for nearly 3k, a mad looking tea pot 5k and the chandelier went for 33k. Needless to say we didn't bid on much.

What did you rob though?

That car looked mighty tempting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

THe roller went for 42k in the end!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 m conroy

Hi

just wondering if anyone knows when the OPW will take over the running of the estate and if there will be jobs going there as I would imagine they would open the grounds and possibly the house for more days to the public? Always loved the grounds, it is a great place to bring overseas visitors too

:)

Advertisement