Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel safe having a night out in Dublin city centre

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah i feel fine but as always common sense prevails

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dont live in the country :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Very safe, never had any issue whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It's funny how people from Dublin who go out in Dublin all the time day and night will tell you that basically it's a safe enough city to be out and about in.....then you get the responses from some of the lunatics in AH who have been to Dublin once for some shopping and got asked for 20c by a beggar or read a story about a few bold boys in Drimnagh and can confirm that it's on a par with Baghdad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I've always felt safe and have never had a problem. Walk with confindence and keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

the girl who got raped by the two said she was lucky to escape and there was nobody around in the park when the attack took place - very scary to be in a secluded area,like out of town or in the country theres no help for miles,and by then it can be too late..
    a girl got raped by two men out in clonsilla blanchardstown in a park nearby in the evening a couple of weeks ago i heard when i was up the other week in dublin,i think in my opinion secluded non populated areas are the worst for isolated attacks where theres no help around for miles,but the populated areas are bad for fights and being kicked to death so its hard to say,anyway the worst thing is being out late in the evening when all the scummers are about,best time to head in is early if youre to do anything in town or out in the suburbs..

I think you're talking about something that happened a year ago here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

a girl got raped by two men out in clonsilla blanchardstown in a park nearby in the evening a couple of weeks ago i heard when i was up the other week in dublin,i think in my opinion secluded non populated areas are the worst for isolated attacks where theres no help around for miles,but the populated areas are bad for fights and being kicked to death so its hard to say,anyway the worst thing is being out late in the evening when all the scummers are about,best time to head in is early if youre to do anything in town or out in the suburbs..

I think that's a very sad way of looking at the world tbh.

I think you're talking about something that happened a year ago here.
    no this was a different case,i was up to do a bit of shopping and get back in contact with old relatives,and it was an incident that happened near where they live,they said that it was a secluded park,and there was no help around for miles,when she got attacked..

i know it can happen anywhere,but you have to see that the more people there are concentrated in a city the more chance of these incidents happening,that said though country areas and towns can be just as dangerous if not more,as those areas are attractive target for aggressive burglars,and theives and so on..and if an attack does happen theres no help no ambulance no police for miles,it could take over an hour in some cases or over 30 mins etc,thats the danger,even if you get stuck with your car theres no help for miles..

no this was a different case,i was up to do a bit of shopping and get back in contact with old relatives,and it was an incident that happened near where they live,they said that it was a secluded park,and there was no help around for miles,when she got attacked..

i know it can happen anywhere,but you have to see that the more people there are concentrated in a city the more chance of these incidents happening,that said though country areas and towns can be just as dangerous if not more,as those areas are attractive target for aggressive burglars,and theives and so on..and if an attack does happen theres no help no ambulance no police for miles,it could take over an hour in some cases or over 30 mins etc,thats the danger,even if you get stuck with your car theres no help for miles..

Christmas, both Blanchardstown and Clonsilla are very heavily populated areas, to say that there's no help for miles is crazy.

no there wasnt help around for miles she was in a large park that went on for miles..im not saying they have no ambulances or anything,i was saying that about country areas..

• Advertisement

no there wasnt help around for miles she was in a large park that went on for miles..im not saying they have no ambulances or anything,i was saying that about country areas..

Christmas, much an' all as I enjoy your posts and arguing with you ,you're mad.

ah not mad just high spirits :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

have you any idea how insane this post is????

irishbird wrote: »
    have you any idea how insane this post is????

None whatsoever .

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Yeah its safe, i feel so anyways.

Except some dumb girls that I see walking down the alley beside my flat at 4am, jumped out of bed once to one screaming, big american accent on her, thankfully it was just a mugging could of been a lot worse. DONT WALK DOWN ALLEYWAYS AT NIGHT ALONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Dublin is grand. I've never been attacked on a night out, the only time I've had a friend get a proper clatter was his own fault for acting the bollox previously in the evening. I've walked from town to Raheny many times, passing through ballybough and fairview en route. Never once have I experienced trouble or felt intimidated. Have your wits about you and you'll be fine. As the poster mentioned above he's witnessed a mugging before, well what the fúck is a tourist doing walking down a lane way at 4 in the morning? That's a ridiculous idea.

The only people I ever hear who have significant complaints about Dublin seem to be people from the country and the Tabloids, seems like both want you to believe a trip to Kabul is safer than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭.Bob

Feel very safe, id walk from city center to dundrum after a night out. on cheap nights id walk home on the luas track and you'd always meet sound people walking on the tracks.

Id actually feel less comfortable waiting for a bus at midday on o O'Connell st where a gearhead is explaining why he needs 5 euro for a hostel and that i am his only hope. That is the reason i always wear a tracksuit around city center so i dont get bothered..

I've always felt safe and have never had a problem. Walk with confindence and keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

True. even though im not sure if it ever worked, i always tried to walk as if im either a tough mofuka or else someone pure dodgy. (at night btw, casual as fúck during the daytime)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Yes, I feel safe. I've never encountered a problem in all my years on nights out. Why do you ask??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I find it very safe and as a woman am happy enough to walk around at night. I don't however like to venture over to Talbot Street or its environs during the day simply because the amount of marrouriva smack heads - it's like being on the set of Shaun of the Dead. I think as capital cities go we're pretty lucky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

Dublin must be one of the safest capitals of Europe...with some of the nicest people around. Believe me I moved here after spending 5 years in Paris...there's just no comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Dublin must be one of the safest capitals of Europe...with some of the nicest people around. Believe me I moved here after spending 5 years in Paris...there's just no comparison!

Thank you for posting some sense from an international perspective. Far too many people who complain about Dublin compare it to their city break weekend tourist perspectives of cities.

Dublin - They live their day to day live here, speak the local the language fluently and read / watch the news, as such as they know of all the "awful" happenings in Dublin.

Weekend break - They stroll around the beautiful romantic tourist spots only observing the beauty, not seeing the true underbelly of the city as they're only there for such a short period. In the majority of cases they are also not fluent in the local language, as such wont be able to read / follow the local news and occurrences in the city.

It really is a demonstration of how little people know of other Western cities when they consider Dublin dangerous. Our worst problems are gangs of lippy kids and the occasional gang related shooting, of which rarely occur these days. Many cities have far worse problems in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

I second all that...it's all a matter of perspective, Dublin feels like a quiet little town to me, guess it's different if you're from some village in Tipperary. Even notoriously "bad" suburbs of Dublin aren't that bad compared to similar areas in other capitals (Finglas comes to mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

depends where i go. feel fairly safe around leeson street / dawson street...but o connell st / abbey st/ temple bar & thomas street after 2am can be well dodge at times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Any kind of violence is a shock here, so newspapers report it in a tone of horror. Friends who live in Paris (a far, far more violent city) commiserate with me for living in such a terrifying place as Dublin, because they're reading the newspaper reports from abroad. Not that I think the newspapers should censor their reports - they are a reflection of people's feeling about the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

RMD wrote: »
    Thank you for posting some sense from an international perspective. Far too many people who complain about Dublin compare it to their city break weekend tourist perspectives of cities.

Dublin - They live their day to day live here, speak the local the language fluently and read / watch the news, as such as they know of all the "awful" happenings in Dublin.

Weekend break - They stroll around the beautiful romantic tourist spots only observing the beauty, not seeing the true underbelly of the city as they're only there for such a short period. In the majority of cases they are also not fluent in the local language, as such wont be able to read / follow the local news and occurrences in the city.

It really is a demonstration of how little people know of other Western cities when they consider Dublin dangerous. Our worst problems are gangs of lippy kids and the occasional gang related shooting, of which rarely occur these days. Many cities have far worse problems in comparison.

but lippy kids don't kill people with screwdrivers in the head..and there have been at least 5 unprovoked murders of innocent people in the last 12 months in dublin city alone..

in saying this though i agree, a set of decent stats is necessary to compare cities. for all i know there could be 50 murders a month in paris...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

If you go looking for a fight you'll get one, if not then you'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

As several posters have said, Dublin is a safe city provided you keep your wits about you.

However, IMO, there are far too many skangers / junkies in and around the city center for comfort and I have to say, while I feel safe as a local been able to keep my wits about me, I do think the city center has become unpleasant.

example, I was in town on Saturday evening and walked into the centra on westmoorland st. There was an absolute scumbag standing outside the door, one hand in his pocket, smoke hanging out of his mouth, cup of loose change in the other hand shaking it at everyone (looked like he hadn't a care in the world). Disgraceful image for a major European city center IMO.

In the context of staying safe etc. he posed no major threat as long as you ignored him. But it's got to a stage where you can't linger anywhere in Dublin center for too long without some scumbag looking for change.

Same thing when me and a few mates were having a few beers in the door of a pub in the middle of temple bar, shocked at the amount of people that came up begging. You wouldn't get it in the center of London (at least I didn't when I was there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

nbar12 wrote: »

Like Eugene Maloney, killed as he walked peacefully home the 100 metres from where he was having a drink with friends to his apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

nbar12 wrote: »

Are you for real? Scumbags are attacking innocent law abiding people every single day in the cc. And the reason it's not reported to the Gardai is because they can do f*ck all about it.

It's going to get to the stage where people will be concealing weapons for their own protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Are you for real? Scumbags are attacking innocent law abiding people every single day in the cc. And the reason it's not reported to the Gardai is because they can do f*ck all about it.

It's going to get to the stage where people will be concealing weapons for their own protection.

That's silly. I live in the city centre and yea there are probably 100s of scary types hanging around and they make the city look dirty and unappealing. But when I walk through it twice a day and I can count on one hand the amount of incidents Ive witnessed and that's over 7 years. And most fights I saw were between dodgy looking characters, not random assaults on individuals going about their business.

But there isn't an epidemic of violence in this city, it's not like normal people are suddenly turning on each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement