Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel safe having a night out in Dublin city centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Places to avoid: the quays,talbot street,westmoreland street,malborough street and of course o connell street,and so on..

Bull****. I walk them every week, I'd be aware, but avoid? Cop on christmas2012, your threads and posts are getting silly at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I avoid them like the plauge,its your funeral,john rambo,maybe the clue is in your name are you quite fearless and bulky?well im not,so i wont take my chances on talbot street or the quays and o connell street etc,getting hassled by junkies all it takes is one pissed off junkie to start a fight,there pissed off about their lives angry about themselves,might just decide to have an outburst at you and it might be your last..Think of it over in the UK due to the junkies back it the 90's not being proprely policed resulted in many syringe attacks,whens the first here i wonder?

its your funeral

Stop, will you? I last walked up Talbot st. with a one year old in a buggy. You're drama queenism is a joke.

With junkies everywhere hardly the best judgement call i would have to say,with a 1 year old i would definately air on the side of caution,this isnt drama queenism,its called a safe avoidance of rough areas in dublin and it does have that element..

Look think of all the methadone clinics nearby and where they are placed thats why the druggies and criminal dealers hang around those areas..

hardly the best judgement call i would have to say

Well, nothing happened to me, the one year old or the hundreds of other people that walked from Talbot st. to the Hugh Lane Gallery.

Just like the nothing that happens to the hundreds every day.

• Advertisement

I believe it only takes one time for people to stand up and take notice,its only a ticking time bomb until someone gets stuck with a syringe in those areas..

its only a ticking time bomb until someone gets stuck with a syringe in those areas..

How old are you? It's happened already, lots of times! Plenty of people have been pricked! It doesn't mean you are going to be pricked!! It doesn't mean that every single person that walks on Talbot st. with a kid in a buggy is going to be pricked! I want to go to the best butchers, I want to get the bus to my city and knock around, shop, eat, meet friends, bring the kids in, grab a coffee etc. I'm not going to let some riddled bullies stop me. I see them coming, I avoid, but they will usually ignore me, if they annoy me, I'm assertive enough to get the message that I WILL NOT ENTERTAIN THEM if i don't want to.

Plenty of people have been pricked!

that answers any doubts boardsies should have about what areas to avoid..youve said it yourself,AND,if you have been pricked in that area,and you really do have a child WHY ON EARTH would you BRING THAT CHILD down such an area?

AND,if you have been pricked in that area,and you really do have a child WHY ON EARTH would you BRING THAT CHILD down such an area?

Because I haven't been pricked, and, I won't be, and I, like millions of the others avail of the amenities walk the area without running scared because of internet talk.

But surely with a child you should pay heed to more dangerous areas filled with junkies waiting for thier fix..

• Advertisement

But surely with a child you should pay heed to more dangerous areas filled with junkies waiting for thier fix..

Picking up chicken liver and pork belly in the butchers for half nothing, buying really cheap spices, nuts and herbs in the Asian markets on a Saturday morning before getting some good coffee and some grub in the food hall isn't exactly Indiana Jones stuff christmas2012.

Try it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I avoid them like the plauge,its your funeral,john rambo,maybe the clue is in your name are you quite fearless and bulky?well im not,so i wont take my chances on talbot street or the quays and o connell street etc,getting hassled by junkies all it takes is one pissed off junkie to start a fight,there pissed off about their lives angry about themselves,might just decide to have an outburst at you and it might be your last..Think of it over in the UK due to the junkies back it the 90's not being proprely policed resulted in many syringe attacks,whens the first here i wonder?

You jest, surely? Syringe attacks have been prevalent in Dublin for at least, 15 years - I know because I used to report on them. And not confined to the narrow parameters you present, either.

That said, you obviously don't know any junkies. Most of them are pathetic creatures, afraid of their own shadow. You're more liklely to get hassle from some over zealous cop in those areas or someone on a much more deadly drug - alcohol.

I know that alcos are far more hyper aggressive i used to work in a wet hostel and know a bit about it,but ya heroin addicts can be pretty narky when they dont have their fix yet..So its best to be cautious,and john rambo has a young child youd think hed be a little more sensible..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I know that alcos are far more hyper aggressive i used to work in a wet hostel and know a bit about it,but ya heroin addicts can be pretty narky when they dont have their fix yet..So its best to be cautious,and john rambo has a young child youd think hed be a little more sensible..

With respect, I don't hear much about young children being attacked on the mean streets of Dublin for their wallets or bling.

Of all the times I got done over in the city, it was mostly on the south side, fwiw.

young child youd think hed be a little more sensible..

I am sensible. I know what I am doing, I lived in the inner city for twelve years. You are being silly, irrational and overdramatic. I really enjoy my time in the city, the few druggies I do see on a Saturday morning never go near me, I get good food for little or nothing, I pick up stuff around the various shops, I get coffee, breakfast... etc. along with thousand of other people. If I'm out at night nothing ever happens to me when I'm in the area because I'm street wise, cautious and avoid hassle. I won't let silly fear mongering stop me walking the streets.

Maybe you're better off looking at youtube vids and staying home behind your pc.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

as someone who has lived in Dublin city centre (George's Street) for a year I think it is no worse than any other town or city in Ireland. I'm from Carlow and can honestly say that I have seen more fights etc in Carlow on a night out than in Dublin. I worked in late bars/niteclubs in both areas so I would be sober most nights going home and I often walked from O'Connell st back to my apt not at all bothered, whereas I would never walk home alone in Carlow.

I have waited for the late bus at George's Quay at 1 in the morning and never had any hassle. I think just being aware of your surroundings and keeping to yourself makes a huge difference.

No matter where you go in Dublin or anywhere else in Ireland your going to find similar images of those that have being highlighted in the news/papers in recent days. These street fights/brawls are not just confined to Dublin.

I have also spent time in Galway, Edinburgh and Glasgow and each of these cities have "hotspots" for trouble. I would say out of all these places Glasgow was probably the place where I felt most uneasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Plenty of people have been pricked!

that answers any doubts boardsies should have about what areas to avoid..youve said it yourself,AND,if you have been pricked in that area,and you really do have a child WHY ON EARTH would you BRING THAT CHILD down such an area?

Honest, genuine questions.

Are you a man?

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't feel safe around oconnell st or walking to busaras up abbey st at night, no

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

With all due respect, if you are a man and you don't feel safe on O'Connell Street be it day or night, buy some fcuking balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Rhand wrote: »
    With all due respect, if you are a man and you don't feel safe on O'Connell Street be it day or night, buy some fcuking balls.

Pretty sure bluewolf is a woman. I stand to be corrected.

I definitely agree with you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Rhand wrote: »

jugglingballs.jpg

:rolleyes:
    maybe i can fcuk them at anyone who comes near me and run away

yes, I'm female
    and even if I weren't I don't see what's wrong with saying you don't feel safe in an area

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

bluewolf wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    maybe i can fcuk them at anyone who comes near me and run away

yes, I'm female
    and even if I weren't I don't see what's wrong with saying you don't feel safe in an area

We're not talking about the Bronx or a favela in Rio, we're talking about bloody O'Connell Street. If you're too afraid to walk down that street, better just stay at home and block all entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Ive been drinking in Dublin a few nights a week for the past 7 years or so.

Ive been involved in very few fights or scuffles in that time. You soon realise where to go and where not to go to have a good night.

John rambo with that young one year old child you have , i think its very irresponsible to go down know drug and watering holes like talbot street,the quays,and o connell street,you have a vunerable young child who is completely dependant on you,and you bring him/her in a buggy around those areas,if you want to equate your irresponsiblity to me being a drama queen then so be it - your lesson not learned,you even said that people get stuck with needles there!
    You soon realise where to go and where not to go to have a good night.
    ... thats being street wise..you are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

John rambo with that young one year old child you have , i think its very irresponsible to go down know drug and watering holes like talbot street,the quays,and o connell street,you have a vunerable young child who is completely dependant on you,and you bring him/her in a buggy around those areas,if you want to equate your irresponsiblity to me being a drama queen then so be it - your lesson not learned,you even said that people get stuck with needles there!

He must thrive on danger. Him and the child, together, in the urban jungle....

I hear he eats toast without gloves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Would you ever cop onto yourself. I'm 41 years old lived in Dublin all my life and have walked those streets both day and night and never been attacked. None of my friends and family have ever been attacked. Thousands of people (parents with children, teenagers, elderly, people with disabilites, everyday folk) are on those streets every day and never get attacked.

You obviously have some grevience about Dublin and those areas in particular. The majority of people on this thread have said they feel safe out in Dublin at night but you just want to ignore them and peddle your blinkered view of the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't feel overly safe or unsafe: I just keep my eyes open. The idea of walking any part of the city centre doesn't worry me in itself - I only feel unsafe if a potentially unsafe situation arises.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think Dublin is any less safe now than it has been in the last 20-25 years.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

.......with that young one year old child you have , i think its very irresponsible to go down know drug and watering holes like talbot street,the quays,and o connell street,you have a vunerable young child who is completely dependant on you,and you bring him/her in a buggy around those areas........

LMAO - are you serious? i have read some insane posts on boards but this got to be the best EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Read in today herald about three people attacked in merrion square. ONe had their head split open with a crutch and the other a broken nose. Gaurds arrested one fella and the others are know to them, with previous convictions for carrying a knuckle duster. Doesnt suprise me.

Id normally pay no attention to this and put it down to scaremongering but from been around town recently it does seem to have gotten worse. This previous convictions lark and still walking around is like a licence to do as you want. Shame a few more of these ***** dont get a hiding like them junkies in talbot street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Yes, I feel safe in Dublin day and night. I have lived here for 30 years and I have never been the victim of a crime and nobody I know has been the victim of a crime such as mugging or assault.

Some of the replies on this thread are pathetic.
    Places to avoid: the quays,talbot street,westmoreland street,malborough street and of course o connell street,and so on..Once you get to know the watering holes and shoot up areas you just avoid like a bad plague..

Seriously?? Avoid the whole quays? And Westmoreland Street? Home of one of the poshest hotels in the country??

Christmas are you from Dublin? Have you actually spent any significant time here? Your posts are so unbelievably deluded I find it hard to believe that you're serious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement