Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel safe having a night out in Dublin city centre

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

John rambo with that young one year old child you have , i think its very irresponsible to go down know drug and watering holes like talbot street,the quays,and o connell street,you have a vunerable young child who is completely dependant on you,and you bring him/her in a buggy around those areas,if you want to equate your irresponsiblity to me being a drama queen then so be it - your lesson not learned,you even said that people get stuck with needles there!
    ... thats being street wise..you are not.

trolololo.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Picking up chicken liver and pork belly in the butchers for half nothing, buying really cheap spices, nuts and herbs in the Asian markets on a Saturday morning before getting some good coffee and some grub in the food hall isn't exactly Indiana Jones stuff christmas2012.

Try it.

Shiit....you should try going to Easons for a paperback..its like Cannibal Ferox..people lunging at you with syringes,slashing at you with knives and circling you with samurai swords.

All of them whacked-out junkies waiting on thier next fix...i dont know what Easons thought they were doing opening a shop in such a dangerous area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I dont feel unsafe in Dublin City centre at all having lived in Dublin my whole life, yes there is a scum element but as has already been said keep your wits about you and youll be grand.

As for on a night out that all about knowing what places to drink in and not to drink.

The suburbs are were you have to be careful ive never had any attempted muggings etc in the city centre but around my own local yes on more than one occassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Anyone know when Christmas2012 is due in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

mattjack wrote: »
    Anyone know when Christmas2012 is due in ?

25th December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Places to avoid: the quays,talbot street,westmoreland street,malborough street and of course o connell street,and so on..Once you get to know the watering holes and shoot up areas you just avoid like a bad plague..

Ha, so basically most of Dublin city centre is a no go? Like how would you be able to get anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

jdooley28 wrote: »

Ha, so basically most of Dublin city centre is a no go? Like how would you be able to get anywhere

They avoid the quays? Sure how would they get places without crossing the Liffey? They must go all the way round the m50 just to get to the other side safely!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Neeson wrote: »
    They avoid the quays? Sure how would they get places without crossing the Liffey? They must go all the way round the m50 just to get to the other side safely!

What kind of a horrible person are you if you don't think a 1-year old (such as in John Rambo's case) is not worth a short detour to get to the other side...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yeah I do. I'm not some ponce worried about everything around me, Dublin is fine.

Oh and I have been mugged before with a syringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I wouldn't put my life on hold or just stay in doors its not only Dublin that isn't safe. Iv'e been started on during the day never mind night time. The laws are to easy going on the bad and sure if you have nothing then you have nothing to lose I suppose thats how they think when people go out set on fighting, hurting or killing someone. Its mad when you see in the U.S that someone is charged with attemted murder could get 30 years here evryone seams to be charged with manslaughter and do very little time. Saw in the paper a guy was convicted for supplying coke and only doing a couple of months :mad::mad::mad: sorry went off point a bit

• Advertisement

Jay D wrote: »
    Yeah I do. I'm not some ponce worried about everything around me, Dublin is fine.

Oh and I have been mugged before with a syringe.
    Hope you gave that sh*t what was coming to him

Hope you gave that sh*t what was coming to him

Thats a bit easier said than done, its a different story when someone has a syringe pointed towards you and god knows whats in it, in my own personal experience of it I grappled with him and then got the fcuk out of there wasnt taking the risk of getting jabbed with it, although I did go back looking for him once id settled down and the anger had built up :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Went through O'Connell, Abbey and Talbot Street at 3.30 am.

NOTHING HAPPENED :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

No it happened in that lane just off Trinity St (Dame Lane?) and I knew one of the junky bástards from Finglas. Last I heard he was on remand in Cloverhill for something, 11 years ago, haven't heard from him since. Suppose the best part is (just to be a bad self fulfilled fúcker) that he's a hopeless case and isn't going to have a great life.

Thats a bit easier said than done, its a different story when someone has a syringe pointed towards you and god knows whats in it, in my own personal experience of it I grappled with him and then got the fcuk out of there wasnt taking the risk of getting jabbed with it, although I did go back looking for him once id settled down and the anger had built up :o.
    Don't get me wrong I know all situations are different just was hoping there would be a happy end to the story as in a** hole getting sorted ;)

Don't get me wrong I know all situations are different just was hoping there would be a happy end to the story as in a** hole getting sorted ;)

:pac::pac: I do understand that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Jay D wrote: »
    No it happened in that lane just off Trinity St (Dame Lane?) and I knew one of the junky bástards from Finglas. Last I heard he was on remand in Cloverhill for something, 11 years ago, haven't heard from him since. Suppose the best part is (just to be a bad self fulfilled fúcker) that he's a hopeless case and isn't going to have a great life.

Always nice to see people taking pleasure in others misfortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

I used to live in Mountjoy Square, which is considered by a lot of people to be a ropey place, but in almost 4 years I never had any trouble there. Used to come home drunk sometimes, take the back lanes as a shortcut, and never any bother. Even scored a semi-decent howya lass outside the flats on Hill Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Brokentime wrote: »
    I used to live in Mountjoy Square, which is considered by a lot of people to be a ropey place, but in almost 4 years I never had any trouble there. Used to come home drunk sometimes, take the back lanes as a shortcut, and never any bother. Even scored a semi-decent howya lass outside the flats on Hill Street.

Now it's ni-howya lasses, eh? :P

old hippy wrote: »
    Now it's ni-howya lasses, eh? :P

B'dum, tsssss :D (snare drum)

Every night, yeah.

Shanghai has almost 25 million people in it and there's rarely, if ever, bother. You can walk home at any time of the day or night, and nobody says boo to you. Dublin just had the 'idea' of danger, because it's renowned for being a wild place (mostly erroneously). Live there for more than 6 months and you realise the stories are mostly bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

shelly22 wrote: »
    Just wondering do you feel safe having a night out in Dublin city centre or do you feel it's getting to dangerous
    If you don't go to town for a night out where do you go

I don't feel particularly safe on my own, so I don't venture into the city often for this reason. Drunks / junkies have come up to me in the past, and I'll be honest, I'm afraid of them. I probably sound silly, but I'm just not used to being in the city so I don't know how to handle them.

Zoria wrote: »
    I don't feel particularly safe on my own, so I don't venture into the city often for this reason. Drunks / junkies have come up to me in the past, and I'll be honest, I'm afraid of them. I probably sound silly, but I'm just not used to being in the city so I don't know how to handle them.

What part of the city do you live in, Zoria?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've walked City Centre to Drumcondra [via Summerhill/Ballybough] and Santry [via Ballymun] day time and night time frequently. I've gotten the 40a to Liffey Valley a load of times. Travelled out to Tallaght a couple of times and back on the Luas. They're pretty much areas with unfavourable reputations.

Judging by the comments in here I should have been mugged/stabbed/killed a number of times already. But you know what? I haven't had any trouble. The only time I've come into any bother in Dublin was walking across O'Connell Bridge after a night out where a couple of College kids thought I looked like a good target for a few slaps.

Dublin is like any other capital city; common sense and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anybody that posts in these threads should provide a disclaimer if they hail from from Ballydebackwardtwohorsetown or similar just so people can accurately weigh up the hysteria of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

stovelid wrote: »
    Anybody that posts in these threads should provide a disclaimer if they hail from from Ballydebackwardtwohorsetown or similar just so people can accurately weigh up the hysteria of your posts.

I'm from Ballydebackwardtwohorsetown or similar :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

I'm from Toronto and checking out this form as I will be visiting Dublin for a couple of weeks shortly. From what I've read the issue lies with strung out junkies and bollocks fueled with testosterone and alcohol. Toronto has it's fair share of them as well. All major cities have their unsavoury sections and regions to avoid.

Sadly though, innocent people can be hurt or killed anywhere. About a month ago, numerous individuals were seriously injured with a dispute between 2 gang members turned to gunfire and left one of them dead. This happened, at 5 o'clock in the afternoon, in the crowded food court of a major downtown shopping mall. 2 people and 20 others were injured at a street party that turned into a gunfight between 2 gang members earlier this week. Does this mean that Toronto isn't safe? No, it means that trouble can happen anywhere and one must be on their guard.

I agree with many of the avoidance techniques that many of the posters have listed. Each person, men and women, young and old, must take their own abilities and limitations into account when assessing a situation. Proper threat assessment is critical to secure one's well being. That said, I am looking forward to a fantastic and safe vacation in your beautiful city.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

As a kerryman living up in Dublin (City centre) for the last 8 years i can honestly say it safe.

Honestly I actually feel safer walking home in Dublin then I did back in the towns in Kerry late at night.

Yes there are a big number of junkies hanging around O'Connell street openly dealing and buying drugs during the day (which disgusts me because it makes this city look so bad to tourists) but if you have the slightest bit of kop on there is no danger whatsoever.

Some people are far too quick to put this great city down IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Dragging up old threads that go around and around in circles. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement