Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocoa Powder?

Options
  • 06-07-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me is Green and Blacks cocoa powder available in supermarkets and if so which ones? Is is any good? What is the best cocoa powder because there used to be a cadbury one in a purple container but its gone off the market.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

You can get it in Tesco's, so I assume most other places have it too.

Valhrona cocoa powder would be the one I'd use, but its more expensive and tougher to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

cabdury do a bournville fair trade cocoa powder, in most if not all supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ASJ112 wrote: »
    You can get it in Tesco's, so I assume most other places have it too.

Valhrona cocoa powder would be the one I'd use, but its more expensive and tougher to get.

Thanks - I've heard of the Valhrona powder alright but the price :-O!

sdp wrote: »
    cabdury do a bournville fair trade cocoa powder, in most if not all supermarkets

Thanks - must have a look for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

The cadbury's stuff in the purple container is drinking chocolate which is cocoa and sugar and a bunch of other stuff. It's not suitable for baking. Cadbury's cocoa is in a red container and is expensive too. The price of cocoa in general is quite high at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I use this Bournaville cocoa powder, the 250g tub is €3.25 in Tesco's and Dunnes Stores, I'm not sure about Supervalu.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/tesco-price-comparison/cocoa_and_instant_drinks/cadbury_bournville_cocoa_fairtrade_250g.html

I'm pretty sure the 250g tub is the largest tub in the Bournaville, although I am open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Thats the one i was talking about, i find it fine for baking, the biggest i've seen is 250g as well, thanks, the lovely muffin for link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I find Tesco own brand cocoa fine for baking and for drinking.

The cadbury's stuff in the purple container is drinking chocolate which is cocoa and sugar and a bunch of other stuff. It's not suitable for baking. Cadbury's cocoa is in a red container and is expensive too. The price of cocoa in general is quite high at the moment.

Yeah I know there's drinking chocolate bug they definitely used to have cocoa also in a purple container but they don't do it anymore just the bournville but thats fine - I used that in my brownies and they turned out nom!!

Thanks to all for your help :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Op, every now and then Aldi stock the Bournville one and sell it for 1euro. Keep an eye out to buy it in bulk xx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I will only use the Green & Blacks cocoa, I find the taste far superior to the Bournville. Have used Bournville for cakes when I was out of G&B and the flavour just wasn't as rich and chocolatey. I wish it came in bigger tubs though!

Haven't tried the Valhrona but I'd say it's gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Wonder have they stopped making the G&B cocoa now that they are owned by Cadburys and Bornville is fairtrade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

bewleys do a cocoa powder - its divine

Looked for G&B cocoa powder when I was in Dunnes and Supervalu recently but neither had it.... :-( wonder where you can get it in Cork?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

leahyl wrote: »
    Looked for G&B cocoa powder when I was in Dunnes and Supervalu recently but neither had it.... :-( wonder where you can get it in Cork?

Try health food shops, that's usually where I pick mine up. I have gotten great cocoa before in an Oxfam shop also. Not a one of their second hand shops, one with their own brand stuff. Not sure if they still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

G&B is on amazon.co.uk 6x125g for £12.54, not sure if thats a good price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Blacks-Organic-Cocoa-Pack/dp/B0074JYI30/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1342551446&sr=1-1

If you spend over £25 on amazon delivery is free, and you can get stuff from any mixture of departments.

Amazon do loads of groceries now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I think the tesco own brand one is pretty good as a sub.
    Tesco_Cocoa_250g.jpg

kerash wrote: »
    I think the tesco own brand one is pretty good as a sub.
    Tesco_Cocoa_250g.jpg

Thanks Kerash didn't realise Tesco did their own brand:) I don't usually shop there but will check this out:)

Advertisement