Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 Blacklisted?

• 06-07-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently bought a 2nd hand iPhone 4 locked to the O2 UK network.

I put in a O2 UK sim, and there was no coverage though, although its defo on the O2 UK network, and the little O2 symbol came up.

Is there any free site online i can check to see if its blacklisted/blocked?

Il be using it in the South of Ireland anyways, not the North so does it matter that its blacklisted?
    Also one shop in the north said they could Unlock and Unblock it for 80£..but will it defo work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

mcw92 wrote: »
    Hi, I recently bought a 2nd hand iPhone 4 locked to the O2 UK network.

I put in a O2 UK sim, and there was no coverage though, although its defo on the O2 UK network, and the little O2 symbol came up.

Is there any free site online i can check to see if its blacklisted/blocked?

Il be using it in the South of Ireland anyways, not the North so does it matter that its blacklisted?
    Also one shop in the north said they could Unlock and Unblock it for 80£..but will it defo work?

If it's blacklisted and you get it unlock it won't work if using a UK SIM (might work with some sim's from networks within UK) but will work using an Irish or sim from another country as the blacklisted is only for the country where it's block.

You should be able to contact O2 UK and get them to check if it's blacklisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

nava wrote: »
    If it's blacklisted and you get it unlock it won't work if using a UK SIM (might work with some sim's from networks within UK) but will work using an Irish or sim from another country as the blacklisted is only for the country where it's block.

You should be able to contact O2 UK and get them to check if it's blacklisted.
    Yes it will be used on an Irish Sim, Vodafone.

I would contact O2 to see if its blacklisted, but what if they turn around and say it is, we need it back? I dont want to part with a iPhone that was just got.

Would it be worth getting it unlocked, then checking it on a sim down here, if no success, go back to the unlocking shop and ask them to 'unblacklist' it?

Yes it will be used on an Irish Sim, Vodafone.

I would contact O2 to see if its blacklisted, but what if they turn around and say it is, we need it back? I dont want to part with a iPhone that was just got.

Would it be worth getting it unlocked, then checking it on a sim down here, if no success, go back to the unlocking shop and ask them to 'unblacklist' it?

The phone can only be unblacklisted by the network that requested the unlock in your case from what you say is O2UK

If phone is balcklisted I don't think O2uk will not unlock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

nava wrote: »
    The phone can only be unblacklisted by the network that requested the unlock in your case from what you say is O2UK

If phone is balcklisted I don't think O2uk will not unlock it.

So your saying the only way to get it unlocked it through O2 themselves?
    What about the shop that said they could do it for 80£? Should i believe them?
    Surely if they can unlock iPhones, they can unblacklist them no?

And your saying O2 wont unlock it if it is blacklisted?

What do i do so? :confused:

So your saying the only way to get it unlocked it through O2 themselves?
    What about the shop that said they could do it for 80£? Should i believe them?
    Surely if they can unlock iPhones, they can unblacklist them no?

And your saying O2 wont unlock it if it is blacklisted?

What do i do so? :confused:

I never used any of those shops but other users here might have more info about them,

Do they say is permanent unlock or if you upgrade when the new IOS software comes out it will block again? I thought the unlock they do is done via Jailbreak so if you update it will block again.

I think you should try contacting O2UK and check if it's blacklisted or not, the unlock is only £15, I see on the website they have a Chat option and also forum to contact them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 pimpffish

just see this site...i think they will unlock a iphone if it blacklisted...good luck, and let us now

http://www.unlockimei.net/product.php?id_product=155

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kobolt

Hahaha u must be stupid to think this company will unlock phone that is barred .... I am working for mobile phone companies for 12 years now as Engineer. So APPLE Iphones are first phones that have OVER THE AIR unlock that means that main database has every single iphone on the list with FLAG that is MCC (country code) and MNC (operator code) so company like this requests unlock throught other company like irishgsm witch requests it from apple (thats why they say it might take longer becouse it does not depend on them ) so if everything goes well you should have your iphone unlocked ..... Means you can put any sim card and the phone will take it .... But if the phone IMEI is barred lets say by meteor you will not get any reception ... Phone will say SIM REGISTRATION FAIL ..... and thats becouse company like METEOR, VODAFONE, O2, etc sell phones on the bill at lower costs than they value , for them is better to charge you monthly knowing you gona be paying for next 12/18/24 months .... if you stop paying they simply add IMEI to BLACKLIST Data base witch works as filter not alowing to log in to the system ...in case of Vodafone heh they alow you to make 5 calls but when you gona try to make six the phone will keep disconnecting... So claiming that they can unblacklist your phone is a lie ... only way would be to change IMEI but that won't happend becouse its OTP moere info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_read-only_memory so if the phone is barred in ROI you can use it in diffrent country but it won't work here at all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

kobolt wrote: »
    Hahaha u must be stupid to think this company will unlock phone that is barred .... I am working for mobile phone companies for 12 years now as Engineer. So APPLE Iphones are first phones that have OVER THE AIR unlock that means that main database has every single iphone on the list with FLAG that is MCC (country code) and MNC (operator code) so company like this requests unlock throught other company like irishgsm witch requests it from apple (thats why they say it might take longer becouse it does not depend on them ) so if everything goes well you should have your iphone unlocked ..... Means you can put any sim card and the phone will take it .... But if the phone IMEI is barred lets say by meteor you will not get any reception ... Phone will say SIM REGISTRATION FAIL ..... and thats becouse company like METEOR, VODAFONE, O2, etc sell phones on the bill at lower costs than they value , for them is better to charge you monthly knowing you gona be paying for next 12/18/24 months .... if you stop paying they simply add IMEI to BLACKLIST Data base witch works as filter not alowing to log in to the system ...in case of Vodafone heh they alow you to make 5 calls but when you gona try to make six the phone will keep disconnecting... So claiming that they can unblacklist your phone is a lie ... only way would be to change IMEI but that won't happend becouse its OTP moere info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_read-only_memory so if the phone is barred in ROI you can use it in diffrent country but it won't work here at all.....

Couldn't be bothered even reading that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement