Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kindle

• 06-07-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

:confused:I am just about to buy a kindle . I would appericate some adivce about what to buy ? The 3G is more expensive than the WIFI is it worth it ?. And the new type is touch screen ?. Can you down load book from the lap top using a dongle? any help would be great . Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

bd7c4804-a966-4afd-93af-3b6b60184318

Maybe try the-->tech--> consumer electronics forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

the 3g one is more expensive as you get free 3g on it so you don't have to pay bills etc. The wifi one means you can only download through wifi. which isn't to bad if you have it at home.

although if you get the 3g version it's pretty much the hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy as with the free 3g you can always access Wikipedia

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from cool vids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I wouldn't bother with the 3G. You can fill your Kindle with books by buying them online on Amazon and syncing anytime you're on wireless. Unless for some reason you constantly finish books out of wifi range, and don't keep any other books on the device it's kinda pointless.

And as an internet device for random web surfing it's awful.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the "Touch" version. For the same reasons as above - i.e. you don't need to be on the device to buy books. Also, more importantly, it doesn't have the nice page back/forward buttons that are so nice to click - you have to touch the screen instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Might be a silly question but:
    Do you need wifi to read the books ??? Or just to download them....

Can you read the books in a cave once you've downloaded :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Do you need wifi to read the books ??? No Or just to download them....

Can you read the books in a cave once you've downloaded :oYes

Data is only required for the initial download, once the book is on there you can switch off data to save battery and read at your leisure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Do you need wifi to read the books ??? Or just to download them....

Can you read the books in a cave once you've downloaded :o

Yes you can (to the cave question).

I have the 3G version and absolutely love it. I like being able to book shop whenever I want. Also, I travel a lot and it's nice to be able to check emails when you land and not have to get to your hotel and get set up there. It saved me a load of money last year when I missed a flight in India and I could book one online rather than needed to go to the ticket desk at the airport. But, you wouldn't be using it to browse Facebook in bed or anything!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Also, if you have a PC or laptop on the internet you can put books not bought on Amazon on your Kindle via the USB cable.
    Well if you really want to read in a cave, I'd go with the Paperwhite model that allows you to read in the dark. :p

Otherwise that basic model would do the job perfectly - and has the nice clicky buttons for changing page.

Dades wrote: »
    Also, if you have a PC or laptop on the internet you can put books not bought on Amazon on your Kindle via the USB cable.

Well if you really want to read in a cave, I'd go with the Paperwhite model that allows you to read in the dark. :p

Otherwise that basic model would do the job perfectly - and has the nice clicky buttons for changing page.

I'll stick with the basic model, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Amazon dont deliver to Ireland ??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Amazon dont deliver to Ireland ??????

You can use Parcel Motel service to get stuff sent here.

Had to order from the US site.
    Panic over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

I would like to purchase a kindle paperwhite for an xmas present just wondering where the best place is to buy so i can be guaranteed delivery on time.

machu wrote: »
    I would like to purchase a kindle paperwhite for an xmas present just wondering where the best place is to buy so i can be guaranteed delivery on time.

I ordered it from the US website the other day. See posts above.
    I have already received confirmation that it was shipped and the eta is the 28th November :)

It arrived today, i ordered it at 1pm on Wednesday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

It arrived today, i ordered it at 1pm on Wednesday :D

which one did you order? how much was for P&P?
    did the custom guys not bothered you?

$20 P&P

Came to €109 in total.
    No probs with customs as the total amount included tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

$20 P&P

Came to €109 in total.
    No probs with customs as the total amount included tax.

I think the above post refers to the Basic Kindle 4 not the Paperwhite.

I have the Paperwhite and would fully recommended it over the basic. Its an excellent piece of kit. Touch screen is miles better than the Kindle Touch 3 and the built in light/glow, well its amazing.

I actually got mine in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street. They seem to be the only retailer in Ireland stocking them. (might be out of stock at the moment though)

I dont think you can actually get the Paperwhite shipped to Ireland from amazon.com and even using parcel motel to ship from amazon.co.uk you may not get it in time for Christmas.

user1842 wrote: »

I have the Paperwhite and would fully recommended it over the basic. Its an excellent piece of kit. Touch screen is miles better than the Kindle Touch 3 and the built in light/glow, well its amazing.

I actually got mine in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street. They seem to be the only retailer in Ireland stocking them. (might be out of stock at the moment though)

I dont think you can actually get the Paperwhite shipped to Ireland from amazon.com and even using parcel motel to ship from amazon.co.uk you may not get it in time for Christmas.

Yes you're right, its not the Paperwhite just th normal Kindle.

I was told to stay away from the touchscreen Kindle's so im quite happy with my purchase :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

user1842 wrote: »

Do you know if Hodges Figgis stock the official paper white cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Amazon.com aren't shipping Paperwhite internationally yet (can't keep up with demand in the States) and have a 4-6 week delay in shipping it within the US, so if Hodges Figgis are doing it I reckon it's your only guarantee of a Paperwhite before Christmas. Unless you know someone in the UK who's coming home for Christmas, they might be able to get one for you? (I assume you can register a UK-bought kindle to an Amazon.com address?)

Edit: just to clarify, Amazon.co.uk stock Paperwhite, so someone you know might get it delivered to them, or they could check bricks and mortar shops for you.

I got my partner a paperwhite for Christmas (I used a 3rd party shipping company in America to send it here) and I set it up the other day. It seems nice (and issues with the uneven lighting seem over exaggerated). I've never had one before so I can't compare to the other ones, but I like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Vojera wrote: »
    I got my partner a paperwhite for Christmas (I used a 3rd party shipping company in America to send it here)

can you share details of that shipping company? much interested
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Just order it from amazon UK and use Parcel Motel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

quilmore wrote: »

can you share details of that shipping company? much interested
    thanks

PM-ed.

As above, parcel motel from the UK might be cheaper. At the time I ordered Paperwhite was only available in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Do you know if Hodges Figgis stock the official paper white cover?

Im not sure, I did not need the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I lost my Kindle Keyboard 3G in September :( I'm replacing it in January, I'll probably go for the basic model.

If you have a phone (with data), you don't need 3G on the Kindle, and if you're not browsing the internet, you don't need a keyboard either.

The only time the 3G came in handy for me was whilst travelling, checking Google Maps, reading Wikitravel, etc. A cheapish unlocked phone with a local SIM card is a better way to go in my opinion.

Advertisement