Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with a agressive Staffie

• 06-07-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Ok first off im not a Staffordshire bull hater, i think like all dogs they can be lovely friendly dogs to have when raised correctly and given the correct training.

My own dog is a collie cross, shes a friendly dog in general with everybody and other dogs.

Outside my house is a large green area, i often bring the dog out here for a quick throw around of the ball etc to tire her out and have a mess around.

Lately there has been someone walking through the estate who leaves their bullstaff off for a playaround, (no problem personally here) however this is where its tricky the dog is not muzzled and he is aggressive towards other dogs if they try to interact with him, literally my dog could run over and give a low friendly bark tail wagging looking to play, the other dog will either ignore it or turn aggressive very fast needing the owners intervention to stop him. My dog will just turn tail and run as shes a collie/lurcher mix and sprints for fun.

This field is literaly in front of my house , i use it all the time with the dogs for a playaround.
    I informed the young fella that his dog should be muzzzled etc, and im getting the usual ****ty ignorant responses i.e he doesnt have a clue i dont think he believes me.

Anyone have a suggestion of a next move, its getting pretty annoying having to deal with a ignorant owner and a aggressive bull staff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Whats a Bull Staff?

If you have a problem with a dog then report it to the local dog warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

andreac wrote: »
    Whats a Bull Staff?

If you have a problem with a dog then report it to the local dog warden.
    Its what we call a Staffordshire Bull Terrier down this direction

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

What's a bullstaff?
    Is it another cross? Just curious, in relation to your query could you try ringing the warden and reporting it? Its not fair that you can't excercise your own dog without an agressor ruining the fun regardless what breed they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

they shouldnt leave their dog off the lead ,have a friendly word with the owner,dont threaten with the dog warden,just say 'listen if they see you like this someone might report you.etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

they shouldnt leave their dog off the lead ,have a friendly word with the owner,dont threaten with the dog warden,just say 'listen if they see you like this someone might report you.etc..
    I tried explaining that he should be muzzled for everyones sake including his own, he didnt believe me that there was a law requiring them to be muzzled.

Dont get me wrong, i think behaviour alot of the time is down to how the dog was reared , trained etc, but when you have an obviously aggresive dog of any breed its time to show some common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭RHarrow

Tell him that next time you see him with the dog out you'll ring the warden who will come and clarify the law for him.

I'm no fan of the dog wardens working in this country but I'm even less of a fan of the people who give dog owners a bad reputation with their careless antics.

Advertisement