Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

I was due to be paid on the 22nd of June and theres still no sign of my monthly pay.

Checked my balance this morning and they have started to deduct money I've taken out over the counter since this whole fiasco began from my account. Nice to know they can manage this but can't update any credits. I've been fairly calm about the whole thing up to this point but I'm starting to get frustrated as although I've kept my receipts things just aren't adding up.

My place of work also banks with them, their point of contact advised our HR dept last Wednesday that 90% of our accounts should have been credited by that stage, in my department anyway those who checked along with myself were still in the minus figures. Work advised we go to the nearest branch with our pay slips and just remove the whole amount.

Starting to fret a bit that this months wages will be in limbo too, I don't want to have to walk around Dublin city centre with a months wages in notes on me but I'm so concerned about not knowing where I stand I'm going to have to do it.

Where would be the best place to move my account to? I hate the AIB(I have what I presume is a dormant account with them now), Bank of Ireland charge fees although they do have the VISA debit card, NIB have no branches, Credit unions have no after hours cash access via ATM.

If I do stick around it will be for their internet banking and no charges only.

If I were you I would change my paypath mandate to another bank (Take your pick as they are all as useless as each other if you ask me) as there is no guarantee that Ulster will get their act together anytime soon and you wouldn't want to miss another salary!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

See my earlier post re:HSE

They have not updated their website since 5th July because they are in the dark as much as we are.It is way beyond a joke at this stage.I will be seeking a fair bit of compensation before I close my account.At this stage UB have broken every banking rule in the book......where are the Government in all of this...cycling the Ring of Kerry etc.will not sort out the banks....not unless you take the big bosses on a bike ride and discuss how to fix the mess!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Last week an old direct debit on my account that was cancelled in March seems to have been reactivated and that resulted in funds being taken from my account (having not been taken for the last three months). This worries me more than anything else so far - are they looking back at old transactions and randomly guessing what they should be doing! And now I'm told I have to call into a branch to fill out a form to get the money back.

They also have lots of clueless people working in their call centres - I was told two completely untrue things today and when I pressed the guy he went off to find out and came back with a different story. I'm with UB over 20 years but am rapidly running out of patience here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Geri Male wrote: »
    That's Aviva's problem. The originator controls the DD not the bank.

It's Ulster Bank selling the insurance product though - Aviva is just the underwriter. All dealings/paper work is with Ulster themselves. Oh well, time to call them and cancel that as well, seems every department is equally as incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0709/breaking35.html

'most account balances up to july 9th' or so this article says?

seems many many many people are still awaiting funds, duplicate transactions and paper slips to be processed. they dont say that though do they? they just phrase things in such a way that makes it seem they are on top of things, when clearly they arent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Last week an old direct debit on my account that was cancelled in March seems to have been reactivated and that resulted in funds being taken from my account (having not been taken for the last three months). This worries me more than anything else so far - are they looking back at old transactions and randomly guessing what they should be doing!

Yep. You're not the only one reporting these kinda issues.

The process behind it is very worrying. What the hell are they doing? Have all transactions (transfers, wages, direct debits) completely disappeared / were they completely deleted? And are they now building the transactions based on assumptions? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0709/breaking35.html

'most account balances up to july 9th' or so this article says?

seems many many many people are still awaiting funds, duplicate transactions and paper slips to be processed. they dont say that though do they? they just phrase things in such a way that makes it seem they are on top of things, when clearly they arent

I lost count of how many times they contradict themselves in that one article....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

everytime i log into my account im stressed and my blood is boiling im gone more and more overdrawn as im now waiting on 3wages to clear and all my bills and DD are bouncing back im been charged 12* 12.70 since this happened and im overdrwn by 1500e also my savings have disapperared :( im actually stressed:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've just had a teller transaction of €260 applied to my account, one I definitely didn't make!

I've the receipts for the two withdrawals from my regular account but nothing to show I didn't take out money I didn't if that makes sense?

I suspect data entry error :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

can anyone tell me if all over the counter lodgements are being processed by each respective branch, or are they all in some centre somewhere being chipped away at?

my logic for asking is that if each branch is processing manual transactions on their own, then i might see the money i lodged sometime this month if im lucky. if theyve all been moved to some office where a team of monkeys are working at chipping away at the entire nations paper slips then ill be waiting until the end of eternity...
    i a wondering this too, lodeged in 2 different ub branches.... better be in soon am getting well fed up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Stheno wrote: »
    I've just had a teller transaction of €260 applied to my account, one I definitely didn't make!

I've the receipts for the two withdrawals from my regular account but nothing to show I didn't take out money I didn't if that makes sense?

I suspect data entry error :(

Ugh...

I rang the call centre to enquire about the teller transactions showing up and she told me not to worry as everything was still all over the place....

Poor girl sounded about 18 too... Probably thrown on the phones as well which isn't fair on her or the customer.

Ugh...

I rang the call centre to enquire about the teller transactions showing up and she told me not to worry as everything was still all over the place....

Poor girl sounded about 18 too...

bit of a contradiction there, eh?

not to worry as everything is still all over the place?

surely if everything is still up in the air that would make me worry more?

booth70 wrote: »
    If I were you I would change my paypath mandate to another bank (Take your pick as they are all as useless as each other if you ask me) as there is no guarantee that Ulster will get their act together anytime soon and you wouldn't want to miss another salary!

I can't make any payroll changes after the 5th or some ****e.

I'll be taking it all out and storing it in Henry the Hippo at this rate.

bit of a contradiction there, eh?

not to worry as everything is still all over the place?

surely if everything is still up in the air that would make me worry more?

I wasn't going to give her any hassle, imagine being in their shoes for the past few weeks.

You're right though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I rang the call centre who basically intimated that it must be a dd or so, none of which are on the account.

They have now referred me to the branch, who apparently will have to check the relevant ticket. :eek:

I wasn't going to give her any hassle, imagine being in their shoes for the past few weeks.

You're right though.

I was feeling this way until I'd the call centre staff trying to tell me I must have taken out money I didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Stheno wrote: »
    I rang the call centre who basically intimated that it must be a dd or so, none of which are on the account.

They have now referred me to the branch, who apparently will have to check the relevant ticket. :eek:

I am more or less down 60 quid.

I am going to sit back and wait. And then send my complaint on the 16th and hammer them with follow up correspondence until I get the response I want.

The more I think about how we've all been treated the angrier I get.

You're right though.

if things are still all over the place as she claimed then i am seriously worried.

as it is i am so sick of waiting for my lodgements to appear and duplicates to drop off.

but if things last longer than their forecast of 16th of july.... well, lets just say that if anyone would like to see a crazyman shout and rant in an ulster bank branch, then contact me and ill tell you when/where to go! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

if things are still all over the place as she claimed then i am seriously worried.

as it is i am so sick of waiting for my lodgements to appear and duplicates to drop off.

but if things last longer than their forecast of 16th of july.... well, lets just say that if anyone would like to see a crazyman shout and rant in an ulster bank branch, then contact me and ill tell you when/where to go! lol

I paid my local branch a visit yesterday, and there was a security guard standing in the front door...not usual, but since it is not usual for branch to be opened on Sunday, this could be just extra security measure....

Anyway, asked the teller about my standing orders, dd and my acount being overdrawn - which never happened to me in years...(don't have overdraft anyway).
    She said most accounts are up to date (there are another 6-8 people queing in the bank on Sunday morning!!!) - mine should be too she said, and also said she can't do anything now, but promised charges will be cancelled as soon as they have all accounts up to date...no date given tough.
    She then, without me asking for cash, asked : How much do you want today?
    There was also a trainee helping her out with scanning/filling out the paperwork...
    I am not impressed at all with what is going on there, and everyone seriously concerned about their future wages should consider opening another account, just in case...

wonski wrote: »
    I paid my local branch a visit yesterday, and there was a security guard standing in the front door...not usual, but since it is not usual for branch to be opened on Sunday, this could be just extra security measure....

Anyway, asked the teller about my standing orders, dd and my acount being overdrawn - which never happened to me in years...(don't have overdraft anyway).
    She said most accounts are up to date (there are another 6-8 people queing in the bank on Sunday morning!!!) - mine should be too she said, and also said she can't do anything now, but promised charges will be cancelled as soon as they have all accounts up to date...no date given tough.
    She then, without me asking for cash, asked : How much do you want today?
    There was also a trainee helping her out with scanning/filling out the paperwork...
    I am not impressed at all with what is going on there, and everyone seriously concerned about their future wages should consider opening another account, just in case...

how on earth would she know if your acc should be amongst the slew of customers who have up to date balances?

do ub have some sort of grading system on who to process first? or was she just taking through he arse, as it seems many UB staff have been doing lately

• Advertisement

how on earth would she know if your acc should be amongst the slew of customers who have up to date balances?

do ub have some sort of grading system on who to process first? or was she just taking through he arse, as it seems many UB staff have been doing lately

Well they say what they are told to say - generally most account are up to date now, so should be mine/yours. They are not apparently, and i assume people behind me had same problems - don't think they visited bank on Sunday morning just for a craic...
    They just keep saying the same stories for weeks now, and offer cash on the spot. Already have another account open, can't really trust them anymore with my money.
    Still didn't get my salary (date due 28/06). Don't even ask them again, waste of time really. This will cost them a lot of money and customers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭chasm

do ub have some sort of grading system on who to process first?

No that's RBS's job ;)

Well they say what they are told to say - generally most account are up to date now, so should be mine/yours. They are not apparently, and i assume people behind me had same problems - don't think they visited bank on Sunday morning just for a craic...
    They just keep saying the same stories for weeks now, and offer cash on the spot. Already have another account open, can't really trust them anymore with my money.
    Still didn't get my salary (date due 28/06). Don't even ask them again, waste of time really. This will cost them a lot of money and customers...

yeah same as

but i doubt it will cost them more than 10 percent of their customer base.

most people are willing to be rightly screwed over and just put up with it. once joe soap gets his ickle bit of compo he will stay put.

just out of curiosity, when you went in were the computers up and running again, or is it still all pen and paper?

i wonder when the comps will be back up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There was a security guard in Blackpool in Cork on Friday, don't think I've seen one there before. They must have some very angry visitors these days.

Apart from difficulties with the online banking, I've been lucky so far. Unless that changes, I'll be staying with Ulster until they introduce fees; at which point I'll only move if they're notably more expensive or their customer service degrades.

I'm old enough to remember banking in Ireland being mostly the Big Two. I do NOT want a return to the Dark Ages. They'll probably open between the hours of 2:15 and 2:30. Half days Wednesdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭chasm

I wonder will UB have a little video message from their Head of Customer Services on their site the same as RBS and Natwest have :
    http://www.natwest.com/personal/help-and-support.ashx

This is the last question on the "other common questions" list:

What was the root cause, and how can you guarantee this will not happen again?
    Is this as a result of inadequate IT systems or outsourcing IT staff?

We are currently fully focused on resolving all issues relating to this incident. On resolution of these, we'll turn our focus to reviewing all our processes and actions connected with the cause of the incident to help us learn from it and prevent future issues.
    Great answer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

chasm wrote: »
    I wonder will UB have a little video message from their Head of Customer Services on their site the same as RBS and Natwest have :
    http://www.natwest.com/personal/help-and-support.ashx

This is the last question on the "other common questions" list:

What was the root cause, and how can you guarantee this will not happen again?
    Is this as a result of inadequate IT systems or outsourcing IT staff?

We are currently fully focused on resolving all issues relating to this incident. On resolution of these, we'll turn our focus to reviewing all our processes and actions connected with the cause of the incident to help us learn from it and prevent future issues.
    Great answer lol

They'd rather take cyanide tablets than ever admit that India was involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

In relation to the presence of security guards in UB branches. I would imagine this is not neccesarily to do with controlling irate customers but rather because the branches have a hell of a lot more cash on hand than they usually do.

Considering that nearly every customer who comes in is looking for cash and some people have even gone in to completely empty their savings accounts. The branches must be handling far more cash than is usual.

just out of curiosity, when you went in were the computers up and running again, or is it still all pen and paper?

i wonder when the comps will be back up?

The teller had an access to my acount - she new what my balance was at the time. Not sure if it was running as before, or only as temporary solution.
    Just checked my account, and branch withdrawals went out, but still no money in. Seriously overdrawn at the moment.
    Anyone else still waiting for credits to be applied to account?

Pen and paper was used btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

still none of my fU$king lodgements in my account:mad::mad::mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement