Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

booth70 wrote: »
    ...but will it clear like any normal cheque or are draft/cheque lodgements from Ulster accounts affected by this current problem

you can also put in a request at your local branch to withdraw savings in cash.

if youre lodging this into another institution, you may be asked why you have so much money in cash, just show them your withdrawl slip from ulster and that should explain things

I don't see the point in taking a verbal swipe at the teller regarding the misinformation from the call centre. They're working their asses off and getting angry isn't going to do either of us any good.

The person was as helpful as they could be given they don't know why these events are happening either. However I left them in no doubt as to my feelings on the issue and my intentions to move bank asap after 20 plus as a customer.

well youre a better person than me :D

i think i would have lost the plot if a staff member insinuated the problem was my fault after the almighty cockup theyve engineered this past month.

best of luck with the move, im not far behind ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

This article stated that customers can claim compensation of between €500-€1000 for the stress this fiasco has caused.

I said previously that my account seemed up to date. I wish to take that back, while it is up to date, there is now a duplicate transaction there since yesterday that still has not been rectified. It is a bit odd and suspicious aswell as it was made on the 7th of July, which the first transaction entry states while the duplicate was entered on 10th July but in the description, it states 7th July. Very strange!

Monife wrote: »
    This article stated that customers can claim compensation of between €500-€1000 for the stress this fiasco has caused.

I said previously that my account seemed up to date. I wish to take that back, while it is up to date, there is now a duplicate transaction there since yesterday that still has not been rectified. It is a bit odd and suspicious aswell as it was made on the 7th of July, which the first transaction entry states while the duplicate was entered on 10th July but in the description, it states 7th July. Very strange!

id say only the most extreme of cases will get anywhere near 500-1000 euros because of this fiasco.

most of us plebs will probably be offered something more paltry:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I am mostly up to date with my account - salary, direct debits, standing orders. The only thing missing is €50 my friend sent me some time after the debacle started. I will have to ask him for a screenshot or something and lodge a complaint.

But it will be my last link with UB as I just got my PTSB account details today. I was told that just this one guy in one branch today in the morning opened three accounts for ex-UBers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 skippydoo20

Monife wrote: »

Do we have to lodge the complaint with UB before we go to the Financial Ombudsman? I've been on the phone to UB again today wondering if there's any news on HSE employees salaries. sick of bloody waiting now. The girl I spoke to was of not much help, just said everything would be back to normal next week. It's just not good enough. I'm so ready to make a formal complaint now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

Had a chat with UB staff member in branch today and he assured me that the non-transfer of wages from HSE to UB account holders was not all the fault of the UB eventhough they were partly to blame,the HSE are also at fault and it might put a bit of pressure on them if everyone that hasn't been paid for 3 weeks+ sent an email or 2 to:infoline1@hse.ie to enquire as to why they are so inactive.I would go as far as to say that compensation should be requested from HSE also.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 27 skippydoo20

Had a chat with UB staff member in branch today and he assured me that the non-transfer of wages from HSE to UB account holders was not all the fault of the UB eventhough they were partly to blame,the HSE are also at fault and it might put a bit of pressure on them if everyone that hasn't been paid for 3 weeks+ sent an email or 2 to:infoline1@hse.ie to enquire as to why they are so inactive.I would go as far as to say that compensation should be requested from HSE also.:P

Did they say in the branch why the HSE might be partly to blame? I just don't get that at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Really! Well thats a shocker Ulster Bank trying to put the blame on somebody else.

Id take with a large pinch of salt what they say, its an Ulster Bank issue

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

All I was told was that the HSE were 'supposed to do something' which they failed to do hence the 3 week delay in processing the transfer of wages.he expected some movement on the issue in the next day or two as he said he had 6-7 complaints in this branch alone (its only a small one) and that if this was replicated throughout the country it would add to many many complaints.Both UB and HSE were aware of and were working on the problem. I did say that pay day was again on Thurs and that there was probably more of a chance of getting paid for this than for the June missed payment.He didn;t say I was right one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

All I was told was that the HSE were 'supposed to do something' which they failed to do hence the 3 week delay in processing the transfer of wages.he expected some movement on the issue in the next day or two as he said he had 6-7 complaints in this branch alone (its only a small one) and that if this was replicated throughout the country it would add to many many complaints.Both UB and HSE were aware of and were working on the problem. I did say that pay day was again on Thurs and that there was probably more of a chance of getting paid for this than for the June missed payment.He didn;t say I was right one way or the other.

Who told you this - someone from Ulster Bank or the HSE?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If non UB staff have been paid, then UB probably asked the HSe to send the payment file so they could seperate out the non UB from the UB staff to process the internal transactions.

So if that were the case, UB are asking the HSE to fix their screw up

I've a teller transaction that I appears as 500 instead of 400 on my account now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

€1k compo? I'll believe it when I see it tbh. There's no real way of measuring 'inconvenience' as such, so the vast majority will be reliant on whatever UB deems fair compensation. I honestly don't think it will be much, even still I fear it's too little too late.

No matter which way you look at it, it's difficult to see any way back for UB after this. Moving bank accounts is a huge hassle as we all know, so I don't really know what they can do to tempt people back especially if they have gone through the paperwork and changed banks.

I'd imagine UB will see a lot of dormant accounts over the next while.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Savman wrote: »
    Moving bank accounts is a huge hassle as we all know

I honestly cannot relate to this statement, as has previously said, 20 minutes in a bank with the right id and an hour on the phone has everything switched if you do it manually, half an hour in total if you don't.

Are the people saying this people who slavishly stick to the same bank for years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I can see the FSO being very busy for the next year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Stheno wrote: »
    I honestly cannot relate to this statement, as has previously said, 20 minutes in a bank with the right id and an hour on the phone has everything switched if you do it manually, half an hour in total if you don't.

Are the people saying this people who slavishly stick to the same bank for years?

Nope I've no loyalty to UB, I've already signed the BOI forms in fact but I can understand why a lot of people find it 'hassley' changing over DD's an notifying various sources of new account info. Most won't be bothered changing, I don't agree personally, but that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Well RBS's refund/compensation package is pretty much what we would have expected, they would want to be doing some additional compensating to their Ulster Bank customers imo. . it's the very least they owe us!
    UB gets a little mention. . .
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2171429/How-money-RBS-NatWest-IT-meltdown.html

"Customers of NatWest, RBS and Ulster Bank

What money can I get back?

RBS says that if you were hit with extra costs, you can reclaim them. Charges that are refundable include, overdraft fees, overdraft interest and late payment fees and interest on credit cards, loans and mortgages.

Also, interest wrongly charged on late payments - when put right, it will be charged up to the day payment should have been made by.

Also cash advance fees and interest on credit cards, where customers had to take out emergency money on their plastic, can also be claimed back.

The group has also confirmed that you may get lost interest back, on situations such as missing savings or current account interest where money paid in was delayed arriving. When put right, interest will be awarded as if all credits were made on 19 June.

Also on missing savings interest where customers had to withdraw cash where wages weren't paid.

RBS says it will refund all charges as a direct result of the computer meltdown - so if it isn't mentioned in the list above, get in touch with them using the contact details provided below.

You also may be able to reinstate the tax-free status of your cash Isa, according to the RBS Group. If you've had to dip into an RBS Group Isa, the bank can manually reset its tax-free allowance.

However, it is unclear what will happen if you've taken money out of a non-RBS Isa.

How will I get money back?

- RBS-NatWest bank charges between 19 June and 6 July. Wrongly-applied charges will be automatically refunded.

- RBS-NatWest bank charges after 6 July. If you believe you've been wrongly charged, make a claim.

- Ulster Bank bank charges. The 6 July window will be extended as the problems are not over. It is unclear up to what point incorrect charges will be automatically refunded.

- Interest. This will be automatically credited/refunded, as appropriate.

- Isa money. You will need to contact the bank to reinstate the tax-free status.

Automatic refunds will be processed over the next couple of weeks, the RBS Group has said.

It will send letters detailing those refunds by the end of July. Customers are advised to check that letter against all charges to ensure everything is refunded.

If not, you should keep the evidence and contact the bank to reclaim the cash."

*Edit. It would appear that this will apply to UB customers as well!
    Martin Lewis, of moneysavingexpert.com, described as "a disgrace" the fact the crisis at the Ulster Bank is continuing.
    He said refunds, not compensation, were being offered.
    "What we're talking here is a refund policy for costs that have been directly incurred to put you back so you wouldn't have had those costs."Compensation is where you get over and above the amount that it's cost you - they're not saying they're going to give out compensation."

Ulster Bank said. . . "we are committed to finalising our plans for compensation in the coming days, albeit that the same principles will apply."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18778933

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

booth70 wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ulster-bank-hse-pay-payments-delay-technical-problems-516149-Jul2012/

I am beginning to panic now.......

What is the fcukin govt doing about all this?

That article doesn't give out any new info as far as i can see, from what i've read on all 3 threads on this issue the following has pretty much been the case since it came to light -
    "HSE advised staff last week that any payments due to those who are also Ulster Bank customers “may not be credited until Ulster Bank restores a full service”.
    They have been told, however, that funds can be withdrawn in person at a branch if they provide photo ID, account details and a payslip.

So don't panic just yet;) The Journal is part of the boards.ie group so i'm sure subjects that are hot topics on here stir The Journal's interest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

My UB account is now fully up to date, including a cash lodgement done just before closing time in branch yesterday (10th July)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

my otc lodgement that appeared in my account yesterday has disappeared:eek: this was 2k and covered alot of my cheques.... it is replaced by a much smaller lodgement i did a week earlier.... really annoying me now:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

id say only the most extreme of cases will get anywhere near 500-1000 euros because of this fiasco.

most of us plebs will probably be offered something more paltry:mad:

I actually don't think we would be offered anything. I'd say you would have to pursue (fight for) compensation. I doubt anything will just end up in our accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

So around Thurs/Friday my account seemed to be settled down, there was no change yesterday so I assumed my balance was correct/fully up to date then today I check my account (After paying bills last night) and its -€45. An ATM withdrawl hadn't been included so I had less money than I thought. I don't have an overdraft on my account and am now worried they will be charging me fees for this. I am so ticked off because had I known there was still more debits to be added I wouldn't have began using my account again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Mostly back up to date, one DD from the 6th or 7th that still has to come out.

I opened a new account with another bank anyway. Will be instructing my salaries dept. to divert my wages to there from now on. Both myself and my partner are with UB so no harm at least one of us having an account with another bank in any case.

I think they way we have been treated by UB is shockingly bad so as a customer I'm going to vote with my feet and walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Things are looking up.

One of my missing manual lodgements was credited overnight.

No phone calls from any suppliers so its looks like they did honour all of my DD's

I know it will work out - but it will take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

dee. wrote: »
    So around Thurs/Friday my account seemed to be settled down, there was no change yesterday so I assumed my balance was correct/fully up to date then today I check my account (After paying bills last night) and its -€45. An ATM withdrawl hadn't been included so I had less money than I thought. I don't have an overdraft on my account and am now worried they will be charging me fees for this. I am so ticked off because had I known there was still more debits to be added I wouldn't have began using my account again.

Don't worry about any fees. Even if you are overdrawn, the least they can do is sort your fees. If it comes to it (which I dont think it will), just point out you have been operating your account completely blindly and you lost track of it.

Thats that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭davehey79

all was up to date as of Monday morning but my mid-month payment was due in overnight Monday into Tuesday and its gone AWOL now. Luckily i have set up a PTSB account and am switching my direct debits, standing orders and wages to it and closing UlsterBank account for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

If the account is closed, is one subject to pay the 30euro government levy on the VISA card?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

However, I just logged in there and it has changed again. A €50 ATM withdrawal I made on Tuesday, which appeared correctly as a €50 withdrawal, has now changed to being a €60 withdrawal. I didn't get a receipt (it was one of those shop ATMs, and it said there was no printer available) so hopefully this will sort itself out.

OK I figured this one out. I had made a €60 ATM withdrawal the day before, and what I noticed on the bank statement was actually the €50 withdrawal disappearing and the €60 withdrawal being duplicated.

Now the €50 withdrawal has reappeared, but the €60 transaction is still duplicated. Do I need to flag this duplicate, or is it something we just need to wait and see if it goes away, and then ring if it doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Why exactly are HSE staff being singled out in the media? There are a lot more than just HSE staff waiting on payments from 21st / 22nd. I resent the fact that HSE staff are being given this attention in the media.

On a side, my salary from 22nd of June was credited overnight. One of the two in branch withdrawals is showing, and a lot of out of order charges of 4.40 or whatever are still sitting there.

I hope I'm not in the minority of people who were waiting to be paid for that Friday who have gotten paid overnight. Seems everyone in my office has now been paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Two BOI cheques I lodged with UB on 28th June appeared in my account this morning (13 days). I'm pretty sure everything is up to date now apart from two atm transactions appearing twice on my statement. Wages are meant to come in tomorrow so hopefully it does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement