Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jjd

Seanachai wrote: »
    Has anybody here gotten money they withdrew at a branch debited twice and if so has anybody actually got the extra debit credited back to the account as of yet?.
    yep got that today
    i withdrew in branch €1500 last week
    today the idiots deducted €1500 twice putting me €900 into the red
    signifigant improvement my arse
    Dont even have the will to ring them as if i hear another insincere apolgy
    i will vomit f***ing clowns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Be Wary.
    If UB to UB transfers are working then how come thousands of HSE workers haven't been paid since 14 June.......Ulster Bank to Ulster Bank transfer was and still is all that is needed!

UB to UB for accounts owned by the same person / persons are working fine.

i.e. from my current account to my savings account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Geri Male wrote: »
    UB to UB for accounts owned by the same person / persons are working fine.

i.e. from my current account to my savings account

It looks like they still can't run whatever batch operations are required to process the HSE payroll electronic funds transfers.

If that's the case, the HSE or any other large employer / payer should really look at moving to another bank and running the same batch operation there instead.

That being said, I don't think anyone really expected this to go on for THIS long. It's utterly unprecedented not only in Ireland and the UK, but this is setting banking IT failure records! It's absolutely jaw-droppingly scary stuff.

I'm sure they're spinning the HSE the same stories they're spinning their retail customers. "Oh it'll be grand by (insert optimistic date here)"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Solair wrote: »
    IIt's utterly unprecedented not only in Ireland and the UK, but this is setting banking IT failure records! It's absolutely jaw-droppingly scary stuff.

RBS admited last week that this is the worst ever failure in international banking history and had the entire worldwide banking industry watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It really makes RBS look incredibly bad, particularly given that they also made some of the largest losses in British corporate history not too long ago and had to be basically nationalised.

That was quite an achievement too : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7911722.stm

Former CEO stripped of Knighthood : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/31/fred-goodwin-ex-rbs-ceo_n_1244495.html

What's very worrying is that Ulster Bank's a huge drain on RBS.

Take a look at this story for example :

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-10/rbs-may-raise-irish-home-loan-provisions-espirito-santo-says
    RBS, the largest overseas consumer lender in Ireland, has injected as much as 10.8 billion pounds into its Ulster Bank unit since 2008 to absorb loan losses.
    “Although Ireland accounts for only 10 percent and 4 percent of gross loans at RBS and Lloyds, provisions account for 48 percent and 37 percent of their total provisions,” respectively, Espirito Santo said.

This mess isn't going to do Ulster Bank's situation much good as it's now likely to lose profitable retail banking customers and it's suffered serious reputation damage. All because of an IT catastrophe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I thought problem with double charging was resolved and although not yet fixed for previous transactions new ones are fine.

WRONG

today I used my card again and again 3 transactions show twice.

They already owe me something like 250 euro ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

well that was great was in bank to say about the 300 from machine was a teller now they taken 2x 300 brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Brace yourselves folks...
    ULSTER BANK has yet to finalise details of a comprehensive compensation package for customers denied access to funds after a major system failure at the bank.

The bank’s parent company, Royal Bank of Scotland, has, however, been able to announce details of the compensation package for UK account holders.

Ulster Bank’s chief executive Jim Brown told an Oireachtas hearing last week that details of compensation to be offered, in addition to covering any out-of-pocket costs incurred by customers, would be decided by the bank over the weekend and announced early this week.

However last night the bank said it remained “committed to finalising our plans for remediation in the coming days”. RBS has been able to outline its compensation plan and it does not seem likely significant compensation will automatically be offered.

Under the RBS scheme, affected customers of both that bank and NatWest as well as other customers of UK banks negatively impacted by the IT collapse will be only covered for unfair penalty charges, lost interest payments, credit file corrections and reinstatement of ISA allowances in addition to other measures.

They will not, however, be automatically compensated for inconvenience and distress. Customers left dissatisfied by the bank’s initial response can take complaints to the financial ombudsman.

One of the few elements RBS is offering on top of customers’ costs is a free credit check for people worried their credit rating may have been damaged due to their inability to pay bills. A credit check with the Irish Credit Bureau costs €6.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0711/1224319792767.html

Make of that what you will, but judging by what's happening across the Irish Sea with RBS & Natwest I'd say there'll be a cold day in hell before UB customers get anything other than a free pen. I hope I'm wrong but something tells me compensation claims from UB will be like trying to draw blood from a stone, so take your free banking and quit yer whining.

Astonishing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Savman wrote: »
    Brace yourselves folks...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0711/1224319792767.html

Make of that what you will, but judging by what's happening across the Irish Sea with RBS & Natwest I'd say there'll be a cold day in hell before UB customers get anything other than a free pen. I hope I'm wrong but something tells me compensation claims from UB will be like trying to draw blood from a stone, so take your free banking and quit yer whining.

Astonishing really.
    I am writing to UB about how embarrassed I was left when my card was refused at Tescos.

I am writing to UB about how embarrassed I was left when my card was refused at Tescos.
    But they "unreservedly apologise" - the PR equivalent of a puppy dog face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Savman wrote: »
    But they "unreservedly apologise" - the PR equivalent of a puppy dog face.
    Lets see what the FSO makes of it?

Lets see what the FSO makes of it?
    Ha! I don't believe for one second that the powers that be will come down hard on UB, the Govt. have shown themselves spineless perhaps because on some level they are terrified of the consequences if UB pull out of the market. I do think that would have a devastating effect across the board, not just with redundancies but the lack of competition plays right into the hands of AIB, BOI and the old guard.

Still though, sometimes better the devil you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

All charges(five in total) have been credited back to my account.
    Still no sign of salary...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

My salary arrived this morning, on time I might add. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

my lodgement that had disappeared reappeared:rolleyes: now have to wait for it to clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Ok folks. Here is the latest from my commercial account.

This morning I find 11 different fee refunds.

One of my two missing lodgements was credited yesterday and the other one credited this morning.

Looks like its sorted from my side.

Just as predicted, once they started keying in the backlog, the issues will be sorted fast enough. Now I have just got to check for mistakes. With the amount of inputting going on, there will be mistakes.

Any fees charged will be refunded, just got to check we have them all.

Hope the HSE folks get sorted soon. I can only imagine what a pain in the rear they have.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

The government should stop using UB for all payments.

Why are the govt using them in first place given all the banks the state owns surely the govt could negotiate a better fee deal with itself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Still no sign of a DD that was supposed to come out 6 days ago going anywhere.

Going to ring the company this morning to see if they've recieved payment.

Is this ever going to end?

Edited to add: Rang them and turns out they use Ulster Bank too and are nowhere near to being sorted out, poor lady sounded like she was close to tearing her hair out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ciaranpm wrote: »
    Why are the govt using them in first place given all the banks the state owns surely the govt could negotiate a better fee deal with itself!!
    The state (or specific state agencies) will have gone through a tender process for a multi-annual banking services contracts that ended up being awarded Ulster Bank. It's a massive job to move a banking setup on that scale at any point in time let alone part way through a contract. I'm sure there's plenty of pressure there to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

The 12.70s were credited back into my account last night..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

All my €4.44's credited back this morning, Now i have to get on to them about credit card fees that are there due to late payment and over limit.

Hope everyone is starting to see their payments in, mine was just shy of three weeks late.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

Still no HSE salary from 3 weeks ago:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

My account is now correct for the first time since this started.
    I transferred money to my AIB credit card resulting in late payment. Emailed my branch and they said they will refund all late payment/interest costs on my AIB account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My irregular account charges were refunded today, all lodgements, withdrawals and card payments are correct. I won't be using my card for a few days as I've no money (my fault not theirs) so hopefully everything is now finally sorted for me. I seem to be one of the lucky ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

My accounts seem to be back up to date today, with all transactions processed (incoming as well as outgoing).

But my UB credit card doesn't show any record of the amount I paid towards it... and I've been charged a late payment penalty! I have a standing order set up to pay x amount off my CC each month well in advance of the payment date. Now, that amount has been paid out of my current account - but not paid off my CC... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The state (or specific state agencies) will have gone through a tender process for a multi-annual banking services contracts that ended up being awarded Ulster Bank. It's a massive job to move a banking setup on that scale at any point in time let alone part way through a contract. I'm sure there's plenty of pressure there to move it.

There is also a general trend toward Multi-Sourcing in state contracts, the idea being that no supplier can become overly important to a state organisation, couple that with the recent reduction in competition within the banking sector so they probably want to share the love as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Eblana12

Things seem to be getting sorted slowly but surely. I am still missing a lodgement from the 20th June on the business account (thankfully done over the counter and not via express envelope). All of the 4.44 reversed last night but had 3 more applied this morning. Will need to go through the accounts in detail to check for mistakes/duplicates but not going to do that until they go back to in branch processing and I can be sure that it has definitely settled down.

Can't change bank due to business loans etc. but some big learnings for me here - have an account with funds in it elsewhere, only use express lodgements for cheque lodgements where you know the source of the cheques and can get them cancelled and reissued if there is a problem. Make sure you have a cheque book to hand at all times so that if you don't have access to internet banking you can at least write cheques against your account.

Other than that I wish that the opening times that we have had for the past couple of weeks with UB would continue indefinitely much easier to go into branch to do business after work than to be trying to go out during the day! Even one late opening (7 p.m.) a week would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

My accounts seem to be back up to date today, with all transactions processed (incoming as well as outgoing).

But my UB credit card doesn't show any record of the amount I paid towards it... and I've been charged a late payment penalty! I have a standing order set up to pay x amount off my CC each month well in advance of the payment date. Now, that amount has been paid out of my current account - but not paid off my CC... :confused:

I paid out €350 online to my CC bill last Monday, July 2 and it still hasn't shown up on my "scheduled payments" even. No way that will be sorted by Monday as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

While the account does seem to be up to date now - I have not gotten my salary today.

Seems like there are still quite a bit of mess in the backend..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭notuslimited

HSE salary from June 21st still missing, payment to Iceland Clonmel on 3 July - was not in Clonmel, 3 payments to UB Credit Card over the last ten days, all gone from my account but yet to hit Credit Card account. This bank is an absolute disgrace - time for the Central Bank to remove their Banking Licence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement