Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Why is no journo writing about India?

There have been very few media articles going into the cause of the problem so far. The bulk of them are about how the fix is coming along. The post mortems should start soon. If I can get some good links, I'll post them

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I heard reports of 200 million and I added 50% !

LOL :D

I guess that's a good starting point so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Achilles wrote: »
    A saving of €3 Million in IT staff is obviously going to cost them much more in the long run. I'd like to think that this whole fiasco is karma to Ulster Bank for the unnecessary firing of experienced IT staff that had knowledge of Ulster's antiquated IT systems.

Also not having a backup of the failed batch if true is just inexcusable and that's coming from an IT Admin. First rule of IT regarding data is backups backups and backups of the backups...

Well, I suppose it's symptomatic of general problems with 'banking culture' at the moment. I don't really know why we are surprised that a bank could have major IT problems when you consider how recklessly they ran other aspects of their businesses. If it had not been for state bailouts, most of these banks would have vanished.

The whole banking sector needs to be completely reformed. So far, we haven't done anything even remotely radical enough to clean it up.

This is the kind of thing that happens when private organisations that are not functioning properly are propped up by the state without proper reform.

I mean in the UK we've got : Northern Rock nationalisation, near failures, bail outs, nationalisation of RBS, the RBS IT collapse, the Libor scandal ....

The whole sector needs a MASSIVE dose of regulation and root and branch reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Solair wrote: »
    Well, I suppose it's symptomatic of general problems with 'banking culture' at the moment. I don't really know why we are surprised that a bank could have major IT problems when you consider how recklessly they ran other aspects of their businesses. If it had not been for state bailouts, most of these banks would have vanished.

The whole banking sector needs to be completely reformed. So far, we haven't done anything even remotely radical enough to clean it up.

This is the kind of thing that happens when private organisations that are not functioning properly are propped up by the state without proper reform.

I mean in the UK we've got : Northern Rock nationalisation, near failures, bail outs, nationalisation of RBS, the RBS IT collapse, the Libor scandal ....

I can't see that happening any time soon. It'd be too much like hard work.

• Advertisement

how recklessly they ran other aspects of their businesses. If it had not been for state bailouts, most of these banks would have vanished.

And I don't really understand why some banks were bailed out. They failed. They should have vanished. Just like Lehman. Sorry for all the staff who lost their jobs, sorry for all the owners (share holders) who lost their investment. That's life - Good luck. Don't expect the tax payer to take up the massive bills :mad:

Other, better working and more efficient and cheaper banks would have instantly arrived filling in the gaps.

unkel wrote: »
    And I don't really understand why some banks were bailed out. They failed. They should have vanished. Just like Lehman. Sorry for all the staff who lost their jobs, sorry for all the owners (share holders) who lost their investment. That's life - Good luck. Don't expect the tax payer to take up the massive bills :mad:

Other, better working and more efficient and cheaper banks would have instantly arrived filling in the gaps.

Some of the bankers had good friends in government and on the golf course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

some bad news, not a surprise tho ..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0716/1224320206642.html

#Concern over Ulster Bank deadline#

Achilles wrote: »
    Some of the bankers had good friends in government and on the golf course...

Sickening but probably true

The mentioning of flying the green jersey when Irish Permanent bailed out Anglo made me sick. Why aren't those responsible brought to justice? And I know from first hand experience banking is a very cosy very pampered environment in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

198321 wrote: »
    some bad news, not a surprise tho ..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0716/1224320206642.html

#Concern over Ulster Bank deadline#

That article doesn't explain the duplicate transactions appearing in some accounts. It still makes out that this problem is a simple backlog / delay issue!

Journalists : read what customers are actually saying on forums like this and others, on twitter etc and stop just taking the bank's press releases at face value!! They're a tad over-optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Another factor - and not just in the banking industry - is that there is no place now in most organisations for anyone who attempts to anticipate difficulties when major changes are being proposed and poses the question " what about.....?" or what happens if....."

They are often seen as obstructive etc etc but those type of people can be very valuable if an organisation uses them properly.

dub45 wrote: »
    Another factor - and not just in the banking industry - is that there is no place now in most organisations for anyone who attempts to anticipate difficulties when major changes are being proposed and poses the question " what about.....?" or what happens if....."

They are often seen as obstructive etc etc but those type of people can be very valuable if an organisation uses them properly.

I used to work for an American company and this definitely rings true for this kind of attitude.

You're just seen as being too negative... myself and the team that I was on used to have very valid concerns about alot of things that the company was doing but our boss just stopped holding team meetings with us as we were always seen as too negative... we eventually just had to learn to be complacent or be ignored completely.

Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So when would be a feasible time to expect changes - if any - to start coming through today? My online payment remains unnoticed 15 days later.

So when would be a feasible time to expect changes - if any - to start coming through today? My online payment remains unnoticed 15 days later.
    Monday it'll definitely be fixed by Monday... No Tuesday... Thursday...

Sorry I'm not sure, we'll get to it when we figure out how to dislodge our fingers from our arses...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Pockey

The entire thing is a total farce now and true to form, the Central Bank of Ireland and all the other overpaid pen pushers in Government, etc have done nothing but complain about how 'appalling' the problems have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

My account is all over the place. No wages and lots of double transactions, mostly direct debits being taken twice. So much for it being fixed by Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

My salary from the 27th June has been paid to me twice. It says on my statement 27th June, but i received it on the 4th July and then again 16th July.

Also my credit card payment went out of my current account on time, but did not make it to my credit card. Didn't stop them charging interest on my credit card for the "missed" payment though (€55).

To be honest, I was initially quite patient as I understand IT problems can occur. However, the handling of this incident by Ulster Bank has been nothing short of farcical. Has anyone written to them to complain? Any get a response from them?

I am going to send a letter to them today as they have yet again missed another deadline in my opinion and hopefully escalate to the Financial Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ok so my new problem now:

As you know UB took double payement for my DD on the Saturday leaving me with 9 euro to my name. There is nothing that they're willing to do.
    The problem now is that there is a payement due to BOI this wednesday. And considering UB owe me for this weeks payement alone in missed payement fees im going to miss another payement this week to BOI. And with no cash to pay the charge until the OD charges are refunded, UB have screwed me over AGAIN.

So what can i do, They have all my money and refuse to give it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

ULster bank are total liars why cant they just say they dont know when it will be fixed instead of saying monday

my account isn't up todate got wages from 21st and 28th of june on the 3rd july and now i got them again 16th july

my online transfers from monday the 9th july havent gone to my ulster bank current account to my UB credit card

and my wages from last thursday 12th july did not go in to my account and seem to have disappeared , no ones accounts are fully up to date

all my friends and collegues that are with ulster bank ive confirmed this

i would imagine its just business customers who probably are

BUT how are we letting them fob us off ....AGAIN ,, no one is doing anything about it

and look at the way it has been kept of out the media all last week cause they said it would all be up to date on the 16th july

it was totally dampened down !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Lambsbread wrote: »
    My salary from the 27th June has been paid to me twice. It says on my statement 27th June, but i received it on the 4th July and then again 16th July.

Also my credit card payment went out of my current account on time, but did not make it to my credit card. Didn't stop them charging interest on my credit card for the "missed" payment though (€55).

To be honest, I was initially quite patient as I understand IT problems can occur. However, the handling of this incident by Ulster Bank has been nothing short of farcical. Has anyone written to them to complain? Any get a response from them?

I am going to send a letter to them today as they have yet again missed another deadline in my opinion and hopefully escalate to the Financial Ombudsman.

I'm in the exact same situation the only difference is the interest on my credit card was only 41 euro. I'm thinking about emptying my account today and closing it seeing as I'm up a months wages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I haven't been able to check a statement for the last few weeks, and I don't know if double payments have gone from my account or not.

The problem I now face is that I haven't been paid into my account for a month now. I had to go into them and take 1K out for holidays and borrow a friends card for that week.

I'm currently reviewing banks to change to, anyone have a suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've a double wage payment still. Haven't a clue how much I really have and I just hope my little spreadsheet is right.

I've enough of this. My salary is already diverted to another bank so I'm just going to cancel all the standing orders and they can do what they like then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Funny how RTE print stuff like "All people should be up to date" just taking their word blindly without one ounce of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Macca07 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to check a statement for the last few weeks, and I don't know if double payments have gone from my account or not.

The problem I now face is that I haven't been paid into my account for a month now. I had to go into them and take 1K out for holidays and borrow a friends card for that week.

I'm currently reviewing banks to change to, anyone have a suggestion?

I was going to move to PTSB, but ive been told they're awful. Anyone else have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

W86indow wrote: »
    ITS COMPLETE RUBBISH THEY ARE FOBBING US OFF

THERE IS NO WAY ITS ALL GOING TO BE FIXED 2MORO THEY SAID THAT
    ON THE 22ND OF JUNE IT WOULD BE FIXED BY MONDAY THE 25TH JUNE

WE ARE JUST STUPID FALLING FOR THE SAME CRAP AGAIN

ITS A DISGRACE WHAT WE ARE BEING PUT THROUGH

NOT ONLY THAT ITS A DISGRACE OUR USELESS GOVERNEMENT HAVENT DONE ANYTHING TO RECTIFY IT

ULSTER BANK SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEIR LIVES NOT GIVING OUT EXTRA OVERDRAFT TO ANYONE WHO NEEDS THEIR MONEY RIGHT NOW

IL GLADLY PICKET THE BANK TOMMORROW IN LIMERICK IF ANYONE WANTS TO COME - AND OR TUESDAY

ill join im off work for two weeks my holiday got cancelled cus of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Just called them now about duplicate salary, DDs, ATM transactions... "It'll fix itself" - When I ask when, completely indefinite... And still the girl I was speaking to was repeating the party line of "most accounts are up to date". What a load of bull...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

Normally they make the first update of the day on the page before 10am don't they?

Just wondering that latest update is still from Sunday :/

Could it be they just realized that the "July 16th promise" just fell on the floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

My accound was pretty much fine up until late last week. DDs late going out in late June but they seem to have gone out okay.

Then on Friday 3 DDs appeared date today, one a week early the other best part of a week early, but otherwise they would appear to be valid...However my mortgage provider finally managed to implement the mortgage interest relief changes from the last budget applicable from July onwards so the mortgage payment should have reduced. So it and presumably at least one other is a duplicate rather than the expected July DDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

J-blk wrote: »
    Just called them now about duplicate salary, DDs, ATM transactions... "It'll fix itself" - When I ask when, completely indefinite... And still the girl I was speaking to was repeating the party line of "most accounts are up to date". What a load of bull...

I till have duplicate charges. From June 27th. I cannot get throgh this morning. all lines busy. The 1800 line and the Anytime banking line. Getting engaged tone. Obviously everyone and their dog is ringing up this morning to find out why s*&t ain't fixed!!! :( :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

100gSoma wrote: »
    I till have duplicate charges. From June 27th. I cannot get throgh this morning. all lines busy. The 1800 line and the Anytime banking line. Getting engaged tone. Obviously everyone and their dog is ringing up this morning to find out why s*&t ain't fixed!!! :( :mad::mad::mad:

I got through on the Anytime line. But TBH, it's pointless - they don't have a clue what's going on. I asked about how is it possibly a backlog problem when my account was mostly ok but got screwed up a lot on Saturday? Silence... I had a couple of times during the conversation where I had to ask if she was still there. Not a freaking clue.

I don't think they'll update the site anymore to reflect the 16th is a crock of sh*t either - now that both the media and the government are off their back, sure f*ck it, they'll sort it whenever they feel like it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement