Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 3 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Last time, the UB people put me through to "Visa disputes" about the duplicate transactions which seemed a little more helpful. They told me to call back this week if it had not "fixed itself". Obviously it is not going to "fix itself" at this late stage, so I need them to refund it. My account is "ok" otherwise.
    I say that with no confidence though, because I would not be surprised to see it jump around a bit more this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

I have also been charged interest and fees on a UB credit card that I have already paid. I know they will refund these, but what form of compensation do they propose for the ordinary customer like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

wow - update:

Important Customer News
    All of our systems are running as normal this morning in the timeframes we would expect and normal service has now been restored for the majority of our customers. Given the scale of the incident, the clean up continues and a small percentage of outstanding transactions are being processed over the next couple of days. There is no doubt that there will be reconciliations to some customer accounts that also need to take place over the coming days and weeks. However, for the majority of customers it is now business as usual.

Once again we would like to unreservedly apologise to our customers.
    Updated Monday 16 July, 10.15am

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

il be there bout 10.30 tommorrow ! gona make a sign now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Akvavit wrote: »
    wow - update:

Important Customer News
    All of our systems are running as normal this morning in the timeframes we would expect and normal service has now been restored for the majority of our customers. Given the scale of the incident, the clean up continues and a small percentage of outstanding transactions are being processed over the next couple of days. There is no doubt that there will be reconciliations to some customer accounts that also need to take place over the coming days and weeks. However, for the majority of customers it is now business as usual.

Once again we would like to unreservedly apologise to our customers.
    Updated Monday 16 July, 10.15am

This message is really funny, today is the the day that I have given up trying to figure out what my actual balance might be, I have been doing my damnedest to keep track of what it should be, but I've now admitted defeat. I don't have a fcuking clue.
    What makes matters worse is that I work in the field of financial forensics!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    This message is really funny, today is the the day that I have given up trying to figure out what my actual balance might be, I have been doing my damnedest to keep track of what it should be, but I've now admitted defeat. I don't have a fcuking clue.
    What makes matters worse is that I work in the field of financial forensics!!

Financial forensics? You need to go and work for them...

CSI: Ulster Bank...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Their new message is total BS.

I just got back from the branch. I tried to close my account and was told that that part of the system was not working.

Also as can be seen from many recent posts, peoples account were looking good on Friday but on Saturday all sorts of double payments and withdrawals appeared. If anything they have taken a step back over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I was put on hold about a my duplicate transactions. I was told there was a wee queue. I hung up after 25minutes on hold.
    I hate UB. I HATE THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I am thankful to say that I don't do my day to day day banking with UB, just my mortgage.
    I am very surprised at their comments on the website this morning. In light of what they feel is normal service I think people now need to take personal responsibility for the financial transactions they make, if they haven't done so already, and open a new bank account, redirect their salary and other incoming payments, contact your utilities etc with your new details, and close your account.
    Let UB sort out the mess they have made but move on.

Call me Al wrote: »
    I am thankful to say that I don't do my day to day day banking with UB, just my mortgage.
    I am very surprised at their comments on the website this morning. In light of what they feel is normal service I think people now need to take personal responsibility for the financial transactions they make, if they haven't done so already, and open a new bank account, redirect their salary and other incoming payments, contact your utilities etc with your new details, and close your account.

Ulster Bank also need to compensate their customers through for their own incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

just off the called their 1800 number got through to a lovely polish girl she took my details and all of a sudden get cut off think their phone systems have glitches as well still waiting on a complaint i made 10working days ago (15 working days as theyve been working weekings :p) to be reviewed wtf are they playing at i was told i cant close my account because im overdrawn!!!!! theyre problem not mine like :mad::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Achilles wrote: »
    Financial forensics? You need to go and work for them...

CSI: Ulster Bank...

I figure that contract would see me to retirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Achilles wrote: »

Ulster Bank also need to compensate their customers through for their own incompetence.

I agree completely with you but that is not something any UB customer has any control over right now.
    Most of us DO have some say in where your next salary payment is paid to though.

If i had any misgivings as to how UB were going to handle it i wouldn't be letting this drag any longer.

This is going on for a month at this stage and apparently most if you are supposed to be fixed by now don't forget!

I agree completely with you but that is not something any UB customer has any control over right now.
    Most of us DO have some say in where your next salary payment is paid to though.

If i had any misgivings as to how UB were going to handle it i wouldn't be letting this drag any longer.

This is going on for a month at this stage and apparently most if you are supposed to be fixed by now don't forget!

What I'll be doing once my PTSB account is finally opened is this:

Redirecting Salary payments / DDs / rent payments / All my accounts towards my Visa Debit card.

I will leave my Ulster Bank account open for when it finally sorts itself out, once it does and I receive some form of compensation for my troubles from Ulster Bank then and only then will I decide if it's worth keeping the account open or not. I'm probably not going to decide in Ulster Bank's favour though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I just saw this comment on the help section.
    All packaged account (e.g. ufirst, ufirstgold) and Private Banking membership fees taken from customer accounts in July have been reversed. Membership fees due in August will either not be applied to your account or will be applied and then reversed.
    Does that mean that people who usually pay for those accounts are going to get them for free for those couple of months because of this? Wheres the compensation for the rest of us.

I cant get through to the helpline. My account is still not correct. I paid money off my UB credit card online from my UB current account on the 5th July which still hasnt come off the credit card, and I have now been charged a late payment fee. I have one small duplicate transaction, and my wages have been credited twice.

How they can claim the majority is back to normal I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

This is not fixed for me.
    Ive just been going through my online statement for the last month. There are random ATM withdrawals there that I definitely did not withdraw. I wasn't even in the country and never withdraw money with the card when I'm away. I use a company card instead.
    Someone in Ulsterbank is stealing my money.
    How the f*ck am I supposed to know whats real and whats not on that account.

There is also money (a few payments) paid off a credit card from another bank over the last month and some of these payments are on my Ulsterbank statement but not paid off the card. There are others that aren't even on the statement at all that I know I made.
    This is a complete disaster.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

100gSoma wrote: »
    I was put on hold about a my duplicate transactions. I was told there was a wee queue. I hung up after 25minutes on hold.
    I hate UB. I HATE THEM!

Surely you would understand how dodgy financial software is :D:D:D:D:D

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Surely you would understand how dodgy financial software is :D:D:D:D:D

Financial software can be dodgy but it can be maintained very easily with the right personnel. This is an issue of inexperience and incompetence.

I realise that your comment was in jest but I just thought that I'd clarify for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

This is not fixed for me.
    Ive just been going through my online statement for the last month. There are random ATM withdrawals there that I definitely did not withdraw. I wasn't even in the country and never withdraw money with the card when I'm away. I use a company card instead.
    Someone in Ulsterbank is stealing my money.
    How the f*ck am I supposed to know whats real and whats not on that account.

There is also money (a few payments) paid off a credit card from another bank over the last month and some of these payments are on my Ulsterbank statement but not paid off the card. There are others that aren't even on the statement at all that I know I made.
    This is a complete disaster.

Very similar case here. UB CC payment made on 2nd July was in my Recent Payments section as 'Actioned' but never appeared on my CC account. Now it has disappeard from my recent payments also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I posted a poll which was subsequently locked.

Mods can we get it reopened?

It showed that 90% + of people are not back to normal despite what UB claim ...
    However, for the majority of customers it is now business as usual.

Horse5hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Their new message is total BS.

I just got back from the branch. I tried to close my account and was told that that part of the system was not working.

Just go into a bank of your choice, open an account and let them do the switching for you. No need to go near the Ulster charlatans again. That is of course provided you are happy with your Ulster bank balance

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Just go into a bank of your choice, open an account and let them do the switching for you. No need to go near the Ulster charlatans again. That is of course provided you are happy with your Ulster bank balance

I'd say this is what's stopping most people (including myself) from fully switching over right now.

We have no idea if our account balances are correct or not. I know for a fact that due to duplicate Visa Debit payments and an erroneous direct debit charge that my balance definitely is NOT what it should be. Not to mention the fact that a recent Visa Debit refund hasn't even touched my account yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Richie Blackmor

mathie wrote: »
    I posted a poll which was subsequently locked.

Mods can we get it reopened?

It showed that 90% + of people are not back to normal despite what UB claim ...

Horse5hit.

Yep, horse manure of the utmost potency. All I can say on the positive side for my particular case is that
    the sum of the erroneous transactions inwards > the sum of the erroneous transactions outwards

so at least I can still get a small amount of cash at the ATM.

Amazing .... dazed and confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To make life easier, before you go in, just gather a list of all your standing orders and direct debits too.

You should be able to pull these off Anytime (we feel like it) Banking.

Once you've a new account number, just inform your employer's payroll department and it shouldn't be any issue at all to get changed over from that end.

The other option is to do the switch over yourself. In which case you just need to inform all your direct debit drawers of your new details. It's not a huge deal really as most people will only have about 10 or so.

You can find direct debit sign-up forms / online forms on most of the major utility company websites (or often on the back of your bills) too.

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/manage-your-account/sign-up-direct-debit.jsp

In a lot of cases you can do it online or over the phone without any fuss at all.

Some smaller companies will still require you to fill in a physical form, but the vast majority will just do it on the phone / through their websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

the freefone helpline isnt working and the anytime banking phone number isnt riniging out....

there must be some amount of people calling this morning.

im still waiting on a duplicate atm transaction from 21st june to go away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Maybe their direct debit for their telephone bill didn't go through :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

so third time i called i got through.

same old spiel as the last few weeks.

Me: hello, im still waiting on a duplicate transaction to fall off

Staff: Were currently proccessing duplicate DD's. please wait another day or two and you should see it fall off.

blah blah blah

sick of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

Solair wrote: »
    Maybe their direct debit for their telephone bill didn't go through :D

QFT! Gave me a good Monday laugh, thank you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

looks like we are going to part 4 of this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Rte reporting the following from Jim Brown
    Several weeks before things will be fully back to normal

tens of millions in compensations

Nobody has left the bank - eh because we cant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement